Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

22 minutes ago, craig said:

Perhaps because that would mean neither is playing inside, and it's possible that *IF* those guys are filling in at tackle, that perhaps in IOL of Runyan, Patrick, and Zach Johnson (or whomever) might be outclassed and exposed?  

By the way I'm not judging those guys and I don't know, perhaps they'll be fine.  That's for Gute and MLF to evaluate. 

But it's possible that Runyan next to Patrick won't look quite as acceptable as he did filling in for a game or two with Bakhti and Linsley flanking him?  Or that Patrick playing center flanked by a couple of inexperienced so-so guards might not function as well as Linsley flanked by Jenkins and Patrick?

It may all work out fine.  But in Joe's defense, I don't think it's illogical to question it.  

Good thing GB could also draft an IOL and move Turner or Jenkins to OT.   Feels like some have the only option is a draft pick at OT and nothing else.  

Crazy how the DL rotation of Clark, Keke, Lowry, Lancaster has magically instilled great confidence in the fans

I feel like the answer to "Did Stokes do a good job covering Justin Jefferson" is not really visible in the stats.  You might want to watch the reps.

The fact that you can watch Stokes play against a murder's row of pass catchers  at least gives you insight in "can he cover in the NFL"  and presumably the GB folks watched all of those games.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

How many targets vs other CBs in those games?

How many snaps was he covering them?

If the opposition was so efficient when targeting him, why didn't they more?

The middle one is the only one that would be helpful really.

They basically were catching very short passes.  If you're letting up less than 10 YPC I'm sure DCs will welcome you trying to have those sustained long drives. 

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How do we know that?

When they threw against him he gave up 70% completion and 20% TD. That's AWFUL lol.

No it isn't.  It's nothing.  There's nowhere near enough context to say those numbers are good, bad, or anything in between.  You used the percentages because they look scary, not because they're more illuminating.  Allowing 7 catches against 6 players tells us, if nothing else, that they weren't able to exploit his coverage with any significance.  It doesn't tell us why that might be, as there are definitely good and bad reasons that could be the case.  But saying he gave up 70% completion and 20% TD percentage tells us literally nothing at all; 70% completion at 1 YPC is elite, 70% completion at 15 YPC is unplayable.  

17 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

The middle one is the only one that would be helpful really.

They basically were catching very short passes.  If you're letting up less than 10 YPC I'm sure DCs will welcome you trying to have those sustained long drives. 

you have no idea if this is true or not ha

9 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

No it isn't.  It's nothing.  There's nowhere near enough context to say those numbers are good, bad, or anything in between.  You used the percentages because they look scary, not because they're more illuminating.  Allowing 7 catches against 6 players tells us, if nothing else, that they weren't able to exploit his coverage with any significance.  It doesn't tell us why that might be, as there are definitely good and bad reasons that could be the case.  But saying he gave up 70% completion and 20% TD percentage tells us literally nothing at all; 70% completion at 1 YPC is elite, 70% completion at 15 YPC is unplayable.  

i know. I'm making that point, those numbers DEFINITELY don't paint a rosy picture (as intended). They are wholly incomplete and meaningless w/o context - but it's not exactly good, either. Especially the TDs part.

37 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Good thing GB could also draft an IOL and move Turner or Jenkins to OT.   Feels like some have the only option is a draft pick at OT and nothing else.  

Crazy how the DL rotation of Clark, Keke, Lowry, Lancaster has magically instilled great confidence in the fans

Absolutely, that's why I think a selection of ANY good OL could be helpful.  With the Turner/Jenkins flexibility, a good OL player at any position could strengthen the depth and add quality.  It's a great, flexible situation to be in.   (Obviously I'm not one who thinks we have to draft an OT!  :)  I also think there's a chance that Nijman might be decent, or at least decent enough to plug in during games Bakhti misses early.). 

A good OL selection would be a nice thing.  A good DL selection would be a nice thing.  A good WR would be a nice thing.  A star could be a nice thing.  A playmaking ILB could be a nice thing.  Packers have a bunch of position groups that could benefit from adding a good player.  And where the coaches could put any excellent player to really good use.  The key is that you add somebody who ends up being very good. 

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

If the long was 23, I think it's a pretty safe assumption. 

it's not

if whoever charted this put in that time, why didn't they include the average? why roll with "long of 23"? It's a stupid stat to report. Likely, it's because the average was pretty bad and they didn't want to post it lol

Edited by incognito_man