Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Tredavious White was selected 27th overall.

A DB went first in the second round. 

That defensive back was Kevin King.

The Jaguars drafted a defensive back first in the second round.

Stokes is going to be elite. 

Legion of Boom has been taken. 

Can't wait to hear the nickname for our secondary.

They're not known for their hitting, but their elite speed and ball skills.

So I'm thinking Savage, Amos, Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes. 

That's six.

Pick Six. 

SAAKSS

you even spelled it out subconciously

now: say it slowly like you're saying something else

• Like 1

Dane Brugler guide

STRENGTHS: Former track athlete with above average straight-line speed…flashes an explosive trigger once he sinks…shows the recovery speed to make up ground and regain positioning…balanced footwork in space to press or play off the line of scrimmage…stays dialed in with his eyes in the right place, sniffing out and driving on passing windows…does a solid job judging and attacking the catch point at all levels of the field…calms his feet to square up as a tackler and doesn’t back down in the run game…unleashes a quick stab to jam and disrupt the timing of the route…turned his break-ups into interceptions in 2020, leading the team with four interceptions, averaging 23.5 yards per return, including two pick-sixes…described as “coachable” and “intelligent,” according to several in the Georgia program…gave up only three touchdowns the last three seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Narrow-framed with lean muscle and average play strength…tends to play upright and tight, deterring his fundamental transition ability…frequently arrives too early and grabs cloth at the top of routes, attracting penalties…can do a better job sensing play indicators and feeling route combinations near him…still developing his feel with the back to the ball and can be late getting his head turned…needs to clean up some technique issues as a tackler, specifically when he stops his feet and allows the ball carrier to make a move.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Georgia, Stokes lined up at right cornerback in head coach Kirby Smart’s 3-3-5 base scheme, seeing time inside and outside. After moving to cornerback as a senior in high school, he quickly adapted to the position in the SEC, impressing the coaches with his ability to apply coaching and trust his skill set. Stokes enjoyed his best season in 2020 with four interceptions and allowing only 38.5% completions when targeted. Stokes has elite NFL play speed and won’t lose many foot races. He uses body control, patience and footwork to stay square and in phase. While his competitiveness downfield is a positive trait, he panics at times and needs to be more subtle with his contact (nine penalties in college). Overall, Stokes must correct his play recognition and transition flaws, but his size, speed and promising ball awareness are undeniable and scheme-versatile traits that will help him compete for starting reps early in his NFL career.

GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 51 overall)

More I watch of him, the more glad I am the team re-signed Sully and King.  Stokes has all the tools you could want, but think his play is probably a year or more away from being pro ready.  He's so grabby when he gets caught off-guard, and he gets caught off-guard a lot; feel like he leans a lot on his physical skills to erase a lack of anticipation and route recognition.  

3 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

More I watch of him, the more glad I am the team re-signed Sully and King.  Stokes has all the tools you could want, but think his play is probably a year or more away from being pro ready.  He's so grabby when he gets caught off-guard, and he gets caught off-guard a lot; feel like he leans a lot on his physical skills to erase a lack of anticipation and route recognition.  

not what I wanted to hear, but kinda how I felt too. I don't love this pick.

45 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Does Stokes have any chance to play in the slot with Jaire/King on the outside, or is he purely a boundary Corner?

On 4/30/2021 at 10:23 PM, Outpost31 said:

That's six.

Pick Six. 

Don't know who said it, but someone the other day said Legion of Zoom.  

On 4/30/2021 at 9:23 PM, Outpost31 said:

That's six.

Pick Six. 

No Fly Zone

4 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I think that is 100% correct. The million dollar questions are: will correcting his technique (footwork, and sometimes playing too fast) erase all of those concerns, and how long will that take ?  

5 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Does Stokes have any chance to play in the slot with Jaire/King on the outside, or is he purely a boundary Corner?

Gute thought he'd be able to play inside down the road, but said something to the effect that he probably wouldn't as a rookie.  

On 5/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

Dane Brugler guide

STRENGTHS: Former track athlete with above average straight-line speed…flashes an explosive trigger once he sinks…shows the recovery speed to make up ground and regain positioning…balanced footwork in space to press or play off the line of scrimmage…stays dialed in with his eyes in the right place, sniffing out and driving on passing windows…does a solid job judging and attacking the catch point at all levels of the field…calms his feet to square up as a tackler and doesn’t back down in the run game…unleashes a quick stab to jam and disrupt the timing of the route…turned his break-ups into interceptions in 2020, leading the team with four interceptions, averaging 23.5 yards per return, including two pick-sixes…described as “coachable” and “intelligent,” according to several in the Georgia program…gave up only three touchdowns the last three seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Narrow-framed with lean muscle and average play strength…tends to play upright and tight, deterring his fundamental transition ability…frequently arrives too early and grabs cloth at the top of routes, attracting penalties…can do a better job sensing play indicators and feeling route combinations near him…still developing his feel with the back to the ball and can be late getting his head turned…needs to clean up some technique issues as a tackler, specifically when he stops his feet and allows the ball carrier to make a move.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Georgia, Stokes lined up at right cornerback in head coach Kirby Smart’s 3-3-5 base scheme, seeing time inside and outside. After moving to cornerback as a senior in high school, he quickly adapted to the position in the SEC, impressing the coaches with his ability to apply coaching and trust his skill set. Stokes enjoyed his best season in 2020 with four interceptions and allowing only 38.5% completions when targeted. Stokes has elite NFL play speed and won’t lose many foot races. He uses body control, patience and footwork to stay square and in phase. While his competitiveness downfield is a positive trait, he panics at times and needs to be more subtle with his contact (nine penalties in college). Overall, Stokes must correct his play recognition and transition flaws, but his size, speed and promising ball awareness are undeniable and scheme-versatile traits that will help him compete for starting reps early in his NFL career.

GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 51 overall)

How is a “former track athlete with above average straight line speed” turn in “elite nfl play speed” by the end of the report. They just feel like drastically different evaluations especially in context.