Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

40 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

How is a “former track athlete with above average straight line speed” turn in “elite nfl play speed” by the end of the report. They just feel like drastically different evaluations especially in context.

The above average straight line speed is just REALLY selling him short. His top end speed is from his numbers absolutely ELITE. How accurate those numbers are is questionable without the combine but his 40-20 time is up there with the all time great based on the numbers we have. 

Hard to not be excited about the future of this defense.

Gary, Savage, Jaire, Stokes.

Add in some Keke, Barnes and Martin and that is a great young core of defenders.

Throw in Clark, Z and Amos as the veterans.  Yup.  Yup.  Yup.

Jordan Love is going to love a ball control run first offense with play action passes.  

Add in some additional picks in the future for Rodgers and here we go.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Hard to not be excited about the future of this defense.

Gary, Savage, Jaire, Stokes.

Add in some Keke, Barnes and Martin and that is a great young core of defenders.

Throw in Clark, Z and Amos as the veterans.  Yup.  Yup.  Yup.

Jordan Love is going to love a ball control run first offense with play action passes.  

Add in some additional picks in the future for Rodgers and here we go.

I got a kick out of seeing in Clark as a veteran. He is a veteran but he’s 25 years old !!!! That’s incredible. 

You’re absolutely right about this D. There is no reason why this defense can’t succeed . 

Clark

Jaire

Zadarius 

are blue chip , cornerstone pieces .

Gary

Savage 

are both knocking on that door . 

Amos is as close as they come . 

That’s a lot of f’in talent with those 6 players. Idt most defenses has talent like we do. Heck, I’d say Preston and King are on the average side too with the ability to be more. 

I kinda wanted an established D coordinator line W Phillips because I feel the only way the D isn’t a success is because of a moronic coordinator.  

• Like 1

Work to keep that defense intact, trade Rodgers and use those picks to draft some weapons for Love.  Or take players that can plug in nicely, like Jeudy.

The whole Rodgers thing sucks now, but it could be the kind of thing that vaults GB forward into the next dynasty.  It honestly feels like a Herschel Walker type trade scenario.

It hinges on Love, but even Goff looked like an elite QB in this offense for a couple of years.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Work to keep that defense intact, trade Rodgers and use those picks to draft some weapons for Love.  Or take players that can plug in nicely, like Jeudy.

The whole Rodgers thing sucks now, but it could be the kind of thing that vaults GB forward into the next dynasty.  It honestly feels like a Herschel Walker type trade scenario.

It hinges on Love, but even Goff looked like an elite QB in this offense for a couple of years.  

I loved Jordan Love the prospect. I still do . I think he’s a star. I woulda taken him 2nd this year . 

I also trust MLF. I trust MLF’s track record with QBs. I trust his system . 

I want Aaron back this year because he gives us our best chance at a SB this year. But I am not afraid of the future. If next offseason he’s acting like this, and Love has shown enough to be a competent QB , make the move 🤷🏻‍♂️

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

not what I wanted to hear, but kinda how I felt too. I don't love this pick.

I never love athlete DB picks, but I get why they made this one.  DBs with elite tools are hard to find as is, much less two year starters in the SEC, and Stokes doesn't really have any red flags in terms of work ethic.  Jerry G is a hell of a DB coach and Stokes doesn't need to get rushed out there, it's as good a situation for that kind of pick as you can ask for.  If you can get him settled down and reading the offense you've got a ten year starter at baseline, with a ceiling somewhere around the ISS.

21 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Does Stokes have any chance to play in the slot with Jaire/King on the outside, or is he purely a boundary Corner?

I can't see it as of today.  The NFL's a silly and unpredictable place so you never say never, but on paper he's a boundary corner all day.  His biggest issue is processing speed and anticipating the offense, and those are all at a premium the closer you get to the QB.  Think he'd probably set an NFL record for PI penalties if he played inside all year in 2021, and that would be better than how run support would turn out.  If we played the 49ers with Stokes inside I doubt Shanahan would be able to sleep all week with the amount of blood not going to his brain.  If you follow me.

That being said though, he's a 6'1" CB who runs ~4.3 flat, is comfortable in the receiver's hip pocket, and played against 1st round pick receivers with some regularity; that alone is day 1 pick worthy.  You can see the future All-Pro there if you squint, they just need to teach him a touch of patience with his hands and better film study Monday-Saturday.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I never love athlete DB picks, but I get why they made this one.  DBs with elite tools are hard to find as is, much less two year starters in the SEC, and Stokes doesn't really have any red flags in terms of work ethic.  Jerry G is a hell of a DB coach and Stokes doesn't need to get rushed out there, it's as good a situation for that kind of pick as you can ask for.  If you can get him settled down and reading the offense you've got a ten year starter at baseline, with a ceiling somewhere around the ISS.

now we're in my wheelhouse!

• Like 2

For what it's worth .. Have a cousin living in Atlanta that is a die hard Georgia fan.  He told me that this kid was their lock down cb and quite a player.  He also thinks the Packers will be very happy with him where they picked him.  He does know football so hoping he's right.  

8 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

For what it's worth .. Have a cousin living in Atlanta that is a die hard Georgia fan.  He told me that this kid was their lock down cb and quite a player.  He also thinks the Packers will be very happy with him where they picked him.  He does know football so hoping he's right.  

I’m a UGA alum and you could see his impact on games this year. He took it to a new level.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Am I wrong to think Sam Shields with Stokes? Or is that just a lazy speed demon comparison? 

Are you "wong"?  Yes, Dave, as a person you are very wrong!  :)

In regards to that comp?  No.  You are not wrong.  Stokes is a bigger version of Shields.  What he lacks in some areas can be erased with pure speed.  I haven't watched Stokes enough, but, maybe Sam was a better ballhawk.  Maybe.  

Due to that RAS and who he covered in college, we really should have seen this pick coming.

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Are you "wong"?  Yes, Dave, as a person you are very wrong!  :)

In regards to that comp?  No.  You are not wrong.  Stokes is a bigger version of Shields.  What he lacks in some areas can be erased with pure speed.  I haven't watched Stokes enough, but, maybe Sam was a better ballhawk.  Maybe.  

Due to that RAS and who he covered in college, we really should have seen this pick coming.

Shields was regarded as "lightning fast, but not sure what his position even is" coming out of Miami, so it isn't as if he was some polished-smooth player. Let's not forget, Shields was a UDFA.