Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

If stokes isn't taking King's spot by the end of the year that's a mild disappointment.

Jaire can play slot, and we could work ourselves into a mediocre situation where we have stokes and king outside and jaire inside and it seems good on paper but it moves Jaire away from the other team's best players.

Or it could work great and they just move Jaire wherever and Stokes ends up playing as a result.

Man it's wild to see how much a couple of games in a single season color people's perceptions of players.  King is a damn good CB when healthy, and yeah with him that's a pretty big caveat.  I'm not going to deny that his inability to stay healthy is a real issue in terms of his career.  But when he is healthy, the idea that he's hot garbage is just not a take I see much evidence for.  Man had a legit pro bowl season in 2019; 56 solo tackles, 15 PDs, 5 INTs, 1 FF, 1 sack, and 3 TFL with a passer rating of 84.6 against is excellent.  And two of those picks were in the end zone, directly removing points from the other team, which is somewhat important.

King is not a "do everything" CB.  He's a 6'3" guy playing a position where the average height is closer to 5'10", and there's a reason there's only a handful of CBs in the NFL playing at that height.  Hell, since 2000 there's only been 51 CBs measured at the combine who stood 6'2" or taller.  Go to 6'3" and that number drops to 15.  And of those 15, King already has the 4th highest AV on PFR, and two of the guys above him played on the same Seahawks defense that had All-Pro talent at S, LB, and DE.  Play him in press with safeties behind him or play him off in a deep zone and he'll make plays; ask him to cover one of the fastest guys in the NFC from off man with no safety help and a bad back and achilles and you'll probably find yourself looking for work next season.  There's a reason King is back and Pettine isn't.

Stokes is the future in Green Bay.  That's not really in question.  If King balls out the team can't afford to keep him, and even if he doesn't you're not paying a guy $3-4 million to be your third CB with this team's cap situation.  But we don't need to keep dumping on King to hype up his replacement; if Stokes is half the CB he should be in a year's time he'll generate the hype himself.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

But when he is healthy, the idea that he's hot garbage is just not a take I see much evidence for. 

I keep thinking the same thing but I don't have the balls to say it online. King is about all my father ever talk about when it comes to gb football. He hates him so much

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Man it's wild to see how much a couple of games in a single season color people's perceptions of players.  King is a damn good CB when healthy, and yeah with him that's a pretty big caveat.  I'm not going to deny that his inability to stay healthy is a real issue in terms of his career.  But when he is healthy, the idea that he's hot garbage is just not a take I see much evidence for.  Man had a legit pro bowl season in 2019; 56 solo tackles, 15 PDs, 5 INTs, 1 FF, 1 sack, and 3 TFL with a passer rating of 84.6 against is excellent.  And two of those picks were in the end zone, directly removing points from the other team, which is somewhat important.

King is not a "do everything" CB.  He's a 6'3" guy playing a position where the average height is closer to 5'10", and there's a reason there's only a handful of CBs in the NFL playing at that height.  Hell, since 2000 there's only been 51 CBs measured at the combine who stood 6'2" or taller.  Go to 6'3" and that number drops to 15.  And of those 15, King already has the 4th highest AV on PFR, and two of the guys above him played on the same Seahawks defense that had All-Pro talent at S, LB, and DE.  Play him in press with safeties behind him or play him off in a deep zone and he'll make plays; ask him to cover one of the fastest guys in the NFC from off man with no safety help and a bad back and achilles and you'll probably find yourself looking for work next season.  There's a reason King is back and Pettine isn't.

Stokes is the future in Green Bay.  That's not really in question.  If King balls out the team can't afford to keep him, and even if he doesn't you're not paying a guy $3-4 million to be your third CB with this team's cap situation.  But we don't need to keep dumping on King to hype up his replacement; if Stokes is half the CB he should be in a year's time he'll generate the hype himself.

I was going to comment on King also, but didn't have the mental energy to face the silliness that would have followed. Kudos to you.

3 hours ago, Norm said:

I keep thinking the same thing but I don't have the balls to say it online. King is about all my father ever talk about when it comes to gb football. He hates him so much

I'm normally pretty good about predicting how fans are gonna react to things, but I have to admit I was caught off-guard by how much hatred King was and is still getting.  I realize he had a really rough game on the most public stage, but I dunno, just kinda figured people wouldn't be so readily looking for a sacrificial lamb off a close loss to the eventual SB champion.  It's especially crazy because overall he had a really solid season for the 9th ranked defense; he gave up more than 50 yards receiving only four times all season including playoffs, and only allowed a single receiving TD until the NFC Championship.  He only allowed one catch in the 2019 NFC Championship game, so it's not even like he had blown playoff games in the past.  

3 hours ago, R T said:

I was going to comment on King also, but didn't have the mental energy to face the silliness that would have followed. Kudos to you.

I sort of can't help myself, it's a compulsion I think.  One of many I possess.

The CB conversation is funny because theres like 5 set and forgot corners in the NFL. The rest are going to take some lumps and you have to cater schemes. But the average fan only watches their team so theyll be super hard on their own guys in a league thats made to pass. So if you got one of those 5 guys and the other ones more specialized but your DC doesnt cater...

34 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm normally pretty good about predicting how fans are gonna react to things, but I have to admit I was caught off-guard by how much hatred King was and is still getting.  I realize he had a really rough game on the most public stage, but I dunno, just kinda figured people wouldn't be so readily looking for a sacrificial lamb off a close loss to the eventual SB champion.  It's especially crazy because overall he had a really solid season for the 9th ranked defense; he gave up more than 50 yards receiving only four times all season including playoffs, and only allowed a single receiving TD until the NFC Championship.  He only allowed one catch in the 2019 NFC Championship game, so it's not even like he had blown playoff games in the past.  

I sort of can't help myself, it's a compulsion I think.  One of many I possess.

I was as mad as anyone at the play before half, most people of the memory of a goldfish but it isnt they forget, they can only fold one memory into their brain, so its hard to forget that play before half. Still don't blame him tbh, wtf Pettine. 

I think he could be our best re-sign tbh, again if healthy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

First off, great post... two of my friends still think King is the worst ******* CB ever after that NFCCG. I keep telling them they're idiots and don't know what they're talking about lol. King is a damn good #2 CB, when healthy. I also find it funny how they didn't point out Sullivan's piss poor performance that game either...

9 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Jimmy did only attempt like eight passes that game

What a terrible game for the Pack.  We were ground to dust and couldn’t stop anything out of the backfield. It’s one thing to lose, but to lose like that, I just can’t understand how Pettine kept his job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

What a terrible game for the Pack.  We were ground to dust and couldn’t stop anything out of the backfield. It’s one thing to lose, but to lose like that, I just can’t understand how Pettine kept his job. 

Might have won the Super Bowl last year if he hadn't. 

when it comes down to it, if you can't play in the games, or you frequently leave the games, you are much worse than "sometimes available". It puts the entire defense in jeopardy because of all the secondary effects.

King is not a "good player when healthy".  He's better described as a pretty average player because he's never healthy.