Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

6 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I think there will be teams who can offfer Ja as much or more than we can, and there is some chance he will take it. He will be worth more to other teams than us, given the depth of our CB room. 

What depth? They have Alexander, Stokes and an unproven rookie in Shemar Jean-Charles under contract after this season. With Stokes on his rookie contract for up to 4 more seasons, they can afford to pay Alexander elite money and they will. He is going nowhere.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, R T said:

What depth? They have Alexander, Stokes and an unproven rookie in Shemar Jean-Charles under contract after this season. With Stokes on his rookie contract for up to 4 more seasons, they can afford to pay Alexander elite money and they will. He is going nowhere.  

Ja will merit #1 cb ever money. Group has been fine with Douglas, Sullivan, Savage, Amos. The money just might not be there depending on who else gets paid. 

Cover corners and pass rushers get paid and they should be and the Packers will pay. Savage and Amos do not factor into the roster makeup of the cornerback group, Douglas and Sullivan are marginal players (and FA's after this season) and they are not who the Packers will build a defense around. You are down an empty rabbit hole on this one. Alexander and Stokes will be the Packers boundary CB's for the next 4+ seasons, barring injuries.  

58 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I think there will be teams who can offfer Ja as much or more than we can, and there is some chance he will take it. He will be worth more to other teams than us, given the depth of our CB room. 

Depth in our CB room?  We have Stokes who is good and under contract past this season.  That is it.  Period, end of story.

Douglas will be a free agent.  King, free agent.  Sullivan, free agent.

Jean Charles is still a developmental kid.

Then you gotta consider this....  Alexander was hurt in college.  He is hurt now.  You really think he wants to play on a 5'th year option?  He should be a relatively easy one to sign.  You can backload him, due to his age, and many other contracts will be long gone by the time he is making big bucks against the cap.

21 minutes ago, R T said:

Cover corners and pass rushers get paid and they should be and the Packers will pay. Savage and Amos do not factor into the roster makeup of the cornerback group, Douglas and Sullivan are marginal players (and FA's after this season) and they are not who the Packers will build a defense around. You are down an empty rabbit hole on this one. Alexander and Stokes will be the Packers boundary CB's for the next 4+ seasons, barring injuries.  

Given those solid players in the secondary, Rodgers and Adams contracts (and to an extent the Jones decision) have to do with the Ja decision. 

Edited by HokieHigh

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

Given those solid players in the secondary, Rodgers and Adams contracts (and to an extent the Jones decision) have to do with the Ja decision. 

No.  It really doesn't.

You can ink JA to a huge deal.  Very good guaranteed money.  You can spread that against the length of the deal.  You can even backload it so that he only sees large cap figures late in the deal when Rodgers may very well be gone, as well as Adams and Jones.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

This is a bad take and you should feel awful for making it.  Plus, they'll tag him before he walks.

On 12/21/2021 at 1:09 PM, HokieHigh said:

unfortunately i think we might be in a position to let ja walk 

Are you joking? You do not allow a 25-year-old elite CB to walk. Pay the man his money. If you think we are "OK" with Stokes, Sullivan, Douglas and King, I don't know that to say. Never mind, three of 4 are free agents this off season. 

Jaire is a top 5 CB without question in the league. You sign him. 

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Think again.  He's going to get paid whether it's by Green Bay or someone else.  Elite boundary corners get paid no matter what.

I did think again.

How is he not easy to sign?  We have 5'th year leverage on him, he was hurt in college and now hurt again.  Do you think he wants to play on the 5'th year tag?  Or does he want guaranteed money spread throughout a longer contract.

A contract that can show large cap hits for him when other guys are no longer playing.

I have no doubt he's gonna get his money.  Given his age, his health history and our roster, I don't see this being a difficult one to get done.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I did think again.

How is he not easy to sign?  We have 5'th year leverage on him, he was hurt in college and now hurt again.  Do you think he wants to play on the 5'th year tag?  Or does he want guaranteed money spread throughout a longer contract.

A contract that can show large cap hits for him when other guys are no longer playing.

I have no doubt he's gonna get his money.  Given his age, his health history and our roster, I don't see this being a difficult one to get done.

Because corners get paid.  And get paid handsomely.  Last year, WJ3 and Shaq Griffin both got 3 years, $40M+.  Adoree' Jackson got 3 years, $39M.  They're nowhere near Jaire's ability.  Two years ago, Byron Jones got 5 years, $82.5M.  If Jaire hits FA, he's getting $17M+ (plus whatever inflation pushes that in two years).