2021 Draft Thread - Day #2 Talk

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, BigD1123 said:

I get what your saying. But who did Gruden coach under? And where would he have heard the same advice. And I'm not sure that Mayock can be blamed for anything. Seeing as Mark, Mike and Jon have all said Gruden makes the final decisions. My whole point was you don't know the kid was gonna be there as an answer to Jim. But I get what you are saying. 

Advice is only as good as the receiver is competent though. 

Bill Belichick has the "Patriot Way" of running an organization to near perfection. 

Bill O'Brien was horrible at running the Texans and McDaniels is arguably one of the least professional coaches in the league. 

As for Mayock, I'll roast him. From day 1 of his arrival, at the very least, he's been useless and little more than a PR guy for Gruden if Gruden is indeed making all decisions. I hate Antonio Brown. I do. I think he's scum for many reasons. But how is it that Mayock is the only person he's worked for that got THAT much of a reaction out of him? Again, Brown is Class A stupid, but we've had no reports of his off field stupidity ever bleeding over into a physical altercation with the Steelers, Patriots, or Buccaneers staff that I can think of.

So he makes no decisions, doesn't speak up if he has concerns, ruffles feathers, and we've slowly become a bit of a dumpster fire again after del Rio and Reggie at least kept us from being that for a few years and turned us into a mostly respectable organization that mostly just needed a couple of impact pieces. 

They both suck. A couple of years ago, we were a player or two away from contention for the playoffs year in, year out. We're now approaching a rebuild after 3 years in neutral and making really poor decisions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think Azeez's knee must've really looked bad during medicals tbh and JOK may have had a medical issue as well.

Koonce and Deablo weren't sexy picks but they actually fit into similar roles as Azeez or JOK would've here. Koonce as an athletic rotational pass rusher and Deablo as a hybrid SS/LB rover type of player. Not comparing them as prospects, just in terms of roles they'll play. Koonce wasn't loved by the media but it seemed like teams were much higher on him which is why Mel Kiper had him in the 2nd round in his mock draft. 

Well actually this is what I was saying I was saying that if you were going to get someone like JOK you didn’t need to do it in the first round. You could’ve waited till later on in the draft to do something like that. Deablo is the type of player that fits that profile. He’s actually more athletic from a testing perspective and has a bigger frame which allows him to put on weight.

Koonce looked like he dominated in an inferior conference(very similar to Zaven Collins but we didn’t have to draft him in the first round).  Something I thought about once I came to my senses about the Jaylon Phillips thing is if Jalen Phillips gets 10 sacks next year but Crosby gets 10 sacks next year(which he did his rookie year so it’s not a crazy idea) I don’t think anybody will care like they do now. What it seems more like what they needed was somebody who could come in and be a situational pass rusher but at the same time just sit back and learn the NFL game. 

Very good day 2

Edited by Jeremy408

2 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I don’t have an issue with the Deablo  pick but would have preferred Ronnie Perkins over Koonce if we were looking for an Edge prospect. Did it at a higher level against some good prospects and is a couple years younger. 

I think the thing with Ronnie Perkins that really hurt him is his lack of speed

Edited by Jeremy408

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

I think the thing with Ronnie Perkins that really hurt him is his lack of speed

What did he run at his pro day? Also he seemed to have great short area quickness and explosiveness from what I watched which is more important than timed 40 speed on the Edge. 

4 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Got it. Also saw his RAS score sucked too. Koonce didn’t even test though so tough to know what his athletic profile is. 

but when you look at his tape the guy is explosive as heck. He has a potential to be a steel because if he had tested really well his tape would've made him a low first round or a high second round in my opinion