The good and the bad from round one

RaidersAreOne

2 Good:

- Vikings Trade Down 9 picks, and still get a LT with the athleticism to be a LT, and get 2 x 3rd Rd Picks

- Dallas Trades down, gets an extra 3rd, and still gets best OLB in the draft

2 Bad:

- Jets trade up 9 picks + 2 3rds, for an IOL, who I'm not sure is much better than the LT the Vikings grabbed...

- Bears also trade up 9 picks, but have to pay a likely Mid-Rd 1st and a 5th next year, and a 4th this year, for a QB that seemed to 'regress', the last half of this past season...that would worry me a little...

My homer take?  RB-haters need to realize that Steelers selected 1 of just 3 available, 3-down starting RBs in this class, and no guarantee ANY would be there in the 50s, when they pick next, yet, there are plenty of good NFL-starting OL talent left on the board left to be picked on Day 2.  Steelers had to take what the draft class gave them, and they took a talent that was expected to be drafted where his talent-level dictated. 

2017 - 2 RBs selected Top 5

2018 - 3 RBs selected in Rd 1 (1 top 5)

2019 - 1 RB selected, 24th overall

2020 - 1 RB selected, 32nd

So, not crazy to select a RB in the final 8 picks of the 1st Rd. Not a great pick, and yes, likely one of the 8 worst picks of the 1st Rd, but look at that...their pick was in the last 8 picks...also not surprising...  Regardless, seems like a high-character, intelligent young man, and barring injury, should be a starter for at least 5 years...

17 hours ago, TJM217 said:

I like Etienne the player but not in Jax

I’m curious why you feel this way. The Jaguars were 28th in rushing last year, dead last in explosive plays, and Urban Meyer’s offenses have always made use use of multi-dimensional players (Harvin, Samuel) in a variety of ways. I’ve felt for months he would be exactly the type of player we’d be looking for. So I’m curious why someone who actually likes his potential and I’m guessing the value there (I understand why those who don’t would pan the pick; that’s simple enough) would think it’s a bad fit. 

• Like 1

Without looking at a list, the worst picks that come to mind are Leatherwood, Etienne, Toney. Don't like the Harris pick either but its at least understandable given Pitt's roster.

Best picks that come to mind would include Fields, Darrisaw, Sewell

also cant really get behind Denver not taking Fields, not that Surtain in a vacuum is a bad pick

Edited by Turnobili

13 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Oh me too, but the Bears were always going to have to sell the farm to get up there and that's on Pace for years of incompetence. In of itself, getting Fields at 11 is great value comparative to where I had him ranked is all. 

Were they? Even if we assume NE would have taken Fields, the Bears could have held off and waited to trade at 14 like the Jets did to jump up fewer spots to get him. AND if you assume WFT would have went after them and NE was set on Jones, the Bears might have only needed to jump up 2 spots. They paid more to guarantee it, but we don't know if that was neccessary. And now a 2nd first rounder is attached to his value

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

My homer take?  RB-haters need to realize that Steelers selected 1 of just 3 available, 3-down starting RBs in this class, and no guarantee ANY would be there in the 50s, when they pick next, yet, there are plenty of good NFL-starting OL talent left on the board left to be picked on Day 2.  Steelers had to take what the draft class gave them, and they took a talent that was expected to be drafted where his talent-level dictated. 

2017 - 2 RBs selected Top 5

2018 - 3 RBs selected in Rd 1 (1 top 5)

2019 - 1 RB selected, 24th overall

2020 - 1 RB selected, 32nd

So, not crazy to select a RB in the final 8 picks of the 1st Rd. Not a great pick, and yes, likely one of the 8 worst picks of the 1st Rd, but look at that...their pick was in the last 8 picks...also not surprising...  Regardless, seems like a high-character, intelligent young man, and barring injury, should be a starter for at least 5 years...

If Harris is great and can make the O-Line seem better on his own I think it's a good pick. Otherwise I'd work on the O-Line first and have them make the RB look good. I don't think it's a bad pick because it was a need and they obviously think he's special. If they were wrong it's a bad pick but if anyone was wrong about who they picked you could say the same.

I'd spend a 1st on Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, Kamara, McCaffrey etc... so if you get that kind of talent I think it's a good pick because they get more than their line gives them. If you get a guy who has to always have lanes it's a terrible pick because you can get that guy late in the draft, I think it just shows that Pittsburgh thinks he will be at least a top 10 back and maybe top 5.

i wouldnt touch RB in the first round unless i feel like i'm getting that elite type of talent that only comes around ever so often, guys you want to take chances on like Saquon, Peterson, etc.

guys like Harris, Josh Jacobs, Rashad Penny, etc have no business being first round picks imo. Even Zeke was a stretch.

13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Vikings fans have to be riding on cloud 9.  They got Darrisaw PLUS more picks.

The board is working out very well for the Bengals.  Now have one of the best WR groups in the league with Chase/Higgins/Boyd and lots of OL options for either RT or RG at 38.

Didn’t work out huh?

6 hours ago, pwny said:

I’m curious why you feel this way. The Jaguars were 28th in rushing last year, dead last in explosive plays, and Urban Meyer’s offenses have always made use use of multi-dimensional players (Harvin, Samuel) in a variety of ways. I’ve felt for months he would be exactly the type of player we’d be looking for. So I’m curious why someone who actually likes his potential and I’m guessing the value there (I understand why those who don’t would pan the pick; that’s simple enough) would think it’s a bad fit. 

I'm worried about him having a significant snap count in that backfield. If what youbsre saying is true and he will get looks in multiple RB sets, in the slot and creative plays to get him the ball in space then I take it back and say he was a great pick

• Like 1