Baltimore Ravens 2021 1st Round Pick - Pick 31 - Odafe Jayson Oweh EDGE Penn State

drd23

Underrated aspect of his game is that he’s a good run defender. If nothing else, this guy won’t get bullied at the edge by teams like the Browns and Titans. That’s already really valuable. Now if his insane athleticism can be harnessed by our scheme and coaching and he puts it together as a pass rusher he could be really well rounded.

I expect this guy to be quietly really good as a rookie and sophomore then explode in year 3

I've noticed there's a large number of Ravens fans that can't 'settle' on a pick until they've convinced themselves that it was essentially the only pick to make or that the logic behind it was flawless. And as a result they're having a really hard time with this one. Which is understandable because it's just not a pick where you can do that.

This isn't a safe pick. The most logical pick. Or even the best value pick. It is what it is. A homerun swing at a position of need. 

We could've traded down. We could've picked Creed Humphrey or Landon Collins for those who had him rated higher. We could've picked Teven Jenkins. We could've picked Trevon Moehrig. We could've done a lot of things. This is the move we made though. 

It's actually kind of funny because this is the type of pick we're accustomed to on Offense(Perriman, Boykin, etc), whereas we typically take the really sound high end players that fall for our Defense. Yet this time around it's Bateman who fell and the projection Oweh who we're swinging on. Which has no doubt played a role in bringing out the confused reactions from our fanbase. 

At such a critical time for our club taking a project like this is an incredibly ballsy and risky move by EDC. Especially when you factor in him admitting to turning down trade offers for the pick just to stand ten toes down and take Odafe. After we just let EDGE players like Yannick Nagkoue leave because despite his talent, he was unable to move the needle for our team and drastically change the trajectory of games. 

Our weak spots at IOL and a vulnerable Tackle spot after Stanley went down were what did us in last year(Along with Roman & WR, but we did take Bateman). That vulnerability is now assured as Orlando is gone, and all we've thrown at the interior is Kevin Zeitler an aging Vet getting farther and farther away from his best days.

The tactics thus far signal to me that a Vet Tackle is definitely incoming and that our numerous mid round investments and other acquired young options at IOL will be given another shot. Mekari, Powers, Bredeson, Phillips, and even Colon-Castillo. Which isn't so unreasonable, but it's certainly fair to question that approach.

It also obvious that Oweh's historic athleticism was viewed by the FO as just too special to pass up. He's been labeled by numerous draft pundits as the greatest athlete to ever come out at EDGE and clearly the Ravens believe they can final form Odafe turning him into an All-Pro type talent. You don't take a project player like this if you think he's just going to turn into a decent or solid player. They're shooting for the stars. 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

It also obvious that Oweh's historic athleticism was viewed by the FO as just too special to pass up. He's been labeled by numerous draft pundits as the greatest athlete to ever come out at EDGE and clearly the Ravens believe they can final form Odafe turning him into an All-Pro type talent. You don't take a project player like this if you think he's just going to turn into a decent or solid player. They're shooting for the stars. 

Maybe this sounds like a cop-out, or something that a homer would say to twist themselves into knots that THEIR team is special, but Wink truly does have a track record of managing snap allocation unlike almost any DC I've ever seen. I think he will put Oweh in the absolute best position to succeed. Even if he only plays 50-60% of defensive snaps in his rookie year, I could see those being incredibly high value snaps that let Oweh shoot out of a proverbial cannon constantly. 

Couple things on Oweh:

Found this clip of him beating 2020 Top 15 Pick, Super Bowl Champion, and fellow super athlete Tristan Wirfs for a Sack. It's always encouraging to see players you draft have success against eventual high end NFL starters. This wasn't his only plus rep against Wirfs either. So don't let people get you caught up in the 0 Sack nonsense, where they act like he's magically incapable of converting his pressures into Sacks. Ironically though, this Sack didn't even count because of some penalty on the back end. 😂 I'm sure it carried a lot of weight for our FO though. 

I bookmarked this tweet a while ago because I thought it was interesting, and after drafting Odafe it becomes a little more relevant.

We had drafted 2 of the 5 players who hit those thresholds, and then we just selected Oweh who is 6'5 257/259, jumped 39.5 & 11'2, while notching a 6.90 3-Cone(6.83u). Odafe just barely missed that 3-Cone mark, but you get my point. People chase traits for a reason, and it would probably be smart of us to monitor these thresholds going forward. Especially when we're looking at early round front 7 prospects.

• Like 2