Baltimore Ravens 2021 1st Round Pick - Pick 31 - Odafe Jayson Oweh EDGE Penn State

drd23

Was happy to see Odafe flash a power rush game on the tape I watched. Typically that's where these hyper athletic EDGE prospects are lacking. His ability against the run is interesting too. Some of his TFLs are truly beautiful. He has the length to keep blockers off of him with the athleticism to just snap in any direction and chase down ball carriers. You can see the flexibility too with how he bends around blockers at times to get a hold of the HB.

He's not even a bad pass rusher either. Unrefined sure, but there's a lot to like. This idea that he'll need 2-3 years of coaching to be effective is dumb. Hell in our system he could be a 8+ Sack guy as a Rookie, easy. Think of how many unblocked opportunities Wink provides, the kind of coverage our DBs provide, and the fact that he won't be dropping into coverage constantly like Bowser does. Especially if we don't sign a vet EDGE, you should feel comfortable predicting 8+ Sacks for him imo. Oweh is a 1st Round pick, his azz will be playing a lot. 

Watch this power he flashes against likely future 1st Round Pick from OSU Thayer Munford-

unnamed.gif

That's a Sack if Fields doesn't have the ball out as quick as he did.

The power, speed, motor, flexibility, and even aggression is all there. Odafe just needs to consistently develop and deliver a plan as a rusher and maintain proper technique. Probably his biggest flaw as a pass rusher right now is that lack of a plan and the neglect of his length. Too often he'll give a tackle his chest or just slam into them with his shoulder. That's giving them a gift and our coaches will bleed that out of him real quick. Shouldn't be hard either as he already applies most of these principles as a run defender. Just needs to carry it over to his pass rush now.

Oweh comes off like a serious no nonsense athlete when he's working/training, and I'm expecting to see a lot of quick progression in his game. I love that we're bringing him into a defense that includes Vets like Pernell McPhee and Calais Campbell too. OG Predators that will teach him how to hunt like a Raven in this league.

• Like 2

I didn't think it was possible (because R. Bateman is literally exactly what I wanted and the team needed), but now that I've actually looked closely at the players we selected... this has become my favorite pick of the draft. This guy is going to be a super. We just drafted a future all-pro.

He's a Jadeveon Clowney type athlete without any of the hype. He can be complacent and/or just have ok drive and be the next Clowney. Or he can be what Clowney was supposed to be.

I push back hard against anyone saying he is high upside/low floor. His "low floor" is what Clowney actually became. Sure, that's a bust a #1 overall/most hyped defensive player in a decade expectations, but not at #31.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I push back hard against anyone saying he is high upside/low floor. His "low floor" is what Clowney actually became. Sure, that's a bust a #1 overall/most hyped defensive player in a decade expectations, but not at #31.

The hyperbole some people just casually throw around about his 'rawness' is tiresome. They also frequently blur the the line between 'raw' and 'ineffective'. Despite his lack of technical proficiency, Oweh was still more effective than the majority of his peers as both a pass rusher and run defender. Which is why he was selected in the 1st Round, by us. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 10:07 PM, DreamKid said:

Yeah Oweh was someone that was growing on me towards the end of the process due to his measurables and athleticism. Upon viewing his tape I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with his run defense impact and his repertoire of pass rush moves.

What’s clear is he has zero understanding of when to use them and his play recognition is low when he’s being forced to see multiple things. However what I’ve also seen is that he adjusts well. For example his ability to adjust to what an opponent is doing to beat him in-game was on display in the tape I’ve watched.

For someone that’s “raw” these are highly sought after traits. He’s going to at some point in his career be at worse an elite run defender IMO. Whether that’s this upcoming season (doubtful) or when he’s done his rookie deal, it’s going to happen.

But like Murph says above he’s guide the tools in the tool shed that normally aren’t on display with “projects” especially not ones that fall to pick #31.

That said, I still judge him through the lens of the Brown Jr deal, which sort of sucks and I’ll likely have to stop doing such, that way I can get behind him far more than I am now. He’s got high upside for sure, hopefully our coaches are up to the task in turning him into the next Jevon Kearse type freak rusher.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

yeah but as someone named Jason, it's an objectively inferior name to switch to.

Maybe as a regular name, but as a football name? Odafe just sounds like the name of a Warrior Chief or something. Plus Jayson Oweh would be JO for short and that moniker is already retired and in the HOF.

At least with OO that’s unique... though I’ve got to say I am highly disappointed in the fact that he went with #99 and not something #7, #57, or #97. I would’ve loved for him to be 007 or 0057 or 0097. #99 is just such wasted potential IMO. 😆

• Like 3

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Maybe as a regular name, but as a football name? Odafe just sounds like the name of a Warrior Chief or something. Plus Jayson Oweh would be JO for short and that moniker is already retired and in the HOF.

At least with OO that’s unique... though I’ve got to say I am highly disappointed in the fact that he went with #99 and not something #7, #57, or #97. I would’ve loved for him to be 007 or 0057 or 0097. #99 is just such wasted potential IMO. 😆

I’ve already decided this season i’m convincing my section at the stadium to chant “Oweh Oweh Oweh Oweh! Owehhhh, Owehhh!” like the olay soccer chant whenever he gets a sack

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I’ve already decided this season i’m convincing my section at the stadium to chant “Oweh Oweh Oweh Oweh! Owehhhh, Owehhh!” like the olay soccer chant whenever he gets a sack

Might be waiting awhile... 😂

*Sorry but I had to*

But no cap I love that chant. That’s lovely.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think another thing people aren’t taking into account is the fact that parsons sat out the season... When watching the tape it’s clear to see that teams had a plan for Oweh and without another clear threat it’s a lot easier to avoid a guy with play design and concept structure.. Add that to his relative inexperience and it’s a perfect storm for these results.. 

On 5/31/2021 at 6:31 AM, bmorecareful said:

I think another thing people aren’t taking into account is the fact that parsons sat out the season... When watching the tape it’s clear to see that teams had a plan for Oweh and without another clear threat it’s a lot easier to avoid a guy with play design and concept structure.. Add that to his relative inexperience and it’s a perfect storm for these results.. 

Well good thing he has <checks roster> uhhhh Pernell Mcphee opposite of him to make teams not gameplan for him!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well good thing he has <checks roster> uhhhh Pernell Mcphee opposite of him to make teams not gameplan for him!

Calais Campbell, Derek Wolfe, Justin Madubuike are nothing to sneeze at. Bowser and Queen also present nice blitz pieces.

They’ll definitely be far more talent within the defensive front 7 than what Penn State had to offer.

Though I suppose I take your point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Calais Campbell, Derek Wolfe, Justin Madubuike are nothing to sneeze at. Bowser and Queen also present nice blitz pieces.

They’ll definitely be far more talent within the defensive front 7 than what Penn State had to offer.

Though I suppose I take your point.

My point is that he has nobody else to chip/double off the edge. Sure, we have some nice pieces inside now (which I've been clamoring about for YEARS here), but we always have nice blitz pieces - we rarely have had great pure edge rushers who can straight up win a 1v1 since Suggs/Dumervil.