Baltimore Ravens 2021 1st Round Pick - Pick 31 - Odafe Jayson Oweh EDGE Penn State

drd23

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

My point is that he has nobody else to chip/double off the edge. Sure, we have some nice pieces inside now (which I've been clamoring about for YEARS here), but we always have nice blitz pieces - we rarely have had great pure edge rushers who can straight up win a 1v1 since Suggs/Dumervil.

Which is why I take your point. However to the original point @bmorecareful was making, Oweh played with a bunch of nobodies that final year. Shaka Toney was the only other legit defender of note that I can recall and he was drafted in like the 7th round for a reason, he’s a hard worker but isn’t someone an offense needs to worry about game planning around to stop. 

Oweh didn’t have a Yetur Gross Matos to collapse the inside, while Toney did his job, as Parsons (a clone of Darius Leonard) was a heat seeking missile.

The point isn’t about another edge talent that can keep Oweh in 1v1 situations, it’s that Penn State’s defensive cupboard was really bare last season and that led to situations where he could be ran away from (limiting the overall impact of his run defensive dominance).

It puts Oweh in a situation where he can see double teams from guards or TEs because they don’t have to worry about a Yetur Gross Matos level talent collapsing the pocket from along the inside... equating to less 1v1 situations.

He didn’t have the help, on multiple plays I saw Oweh outside contain only for no defender to converge, then he gives up the outside to try and make the play himself. I saw him doing his job only to be let down by his teammates.

We don’t have two dominant edge talents, sure. But inside pressure is more king in effecting the QB. Having a healthy Calais Campbell to impact passing lanes, along with Wolfe and Madubuike will draw plenty of guard and OT attention and allow Oweh to see his fair share of TE 1v1s and/or 1v1s with OTs without guard assistance.

Our front 7 talent will create more pressure on defenses when we utilize stunts and allow him and his speed to cause defenses to choose between a former All Pro/PB like Campbell and a rookie like Oweh. He’ll see his fair share of opportunities to exploit that weren’t consistently available for him at Penn State. 

On 6/1/2021 at 2:03 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well good thing he has <checks roster> uhhhh Pernell Mcphee opposite of him to make teams not gameplan for him!

Maybe not the elite pass rusher opposite but he has an elite secondary and as a rookie he won’t see much gameplanning to stop him unless he is successful early which is a win for us so I’d be cool with that... We generate sacks through scheme which means... he should face 1on1s much more frequently than he did in college.. it’s similar to what I expect from our receivers due to our run game... favorable matchups due to having to deal with the perceived greater threat 

Edited by bmorecareful
  • Like 2