With the 32nd pick in the 2021 NFL draft, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Joe Tryon || EDGE || Washington

bucsfan333

Good scouting report on him...

• Not a one-trick pony; flashes some counter moves with a club/swim combo
  • Speed-to-power is real with Tryon; sends a jolt into offensive linemen off the edge
  • One step explosiveness is legit
  • Ability to stack-and-shed at the point of attack with hand in the dirt
  • When pad level is down, he can be a force against the run
  • Showed the ability to flash with loose hips and light feet on stunts and twists
  • Has the ability to rag doll tight ends attempting to block him
  • Very flexible player; ability to attack outside shoulder and make tackles look silly
  • His lower half gets extremely active giving offensive linemen all they can handle
  • Motor runs hot; he’s not interested in giving the opposition any breaks
  • Can get too upright with his rush which causes him to get beat up; needs to lower pad level
  • Can give up his gap in run support when attempting to shoot rather than contain
  • Mental side growing pains are on big-time display as a sophomore
  • Needs to show improvement to his initial rush; quickly clearing hands could be polished up
  • Like 2

As the draft got further into the first round, the board was falling in the Bucs’ favor. This gave Tampa Bay and general manager Jason Licht multiple options at different positions with pick number 32. Washington outside linebacker Joe Tryon, however, was the player he had his eye on all along.

With so many good prospects still available, Licht was elated to see Tryon still around. We later learned that Licht even turned down trade offers in order to stay at their spot to pick him.

From PewterReport

Edited by kgarrett12486

25 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

This is the tape I keep going back to; the Utah game. I can't remember seeing a DE/OLB wreak so much havoc on every facet of the offense's game in recent memory. He single handedly destroyed their whole unit in that game.

I keep hearing the argument that a lot of his production came against lesser teams, but he's got good tape against good players (like the Sewell reference) and Utah was a top 10 team who was having a great season.

Tryon defeinetly needs some coaching/refinement, but I'm so excited about this pick. His ceiling is a perineal 13+ year sack guy. 

• Like 2

Walter Football on our pick:

Bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Joe Tryon, DE, Washington - A Grade
I'm loving these high-upside pass rushers at the end of the first round. Joe Tryon has immense upside, but he's raw and inexperienced. The good thing with this pick is that Tryon won't necessarily be needed right away because Tampa Bay has Shaq Barrett and Jason Pierre-Paul ahead of him. However, Pierre-Paul is in the twilight of his career, and Tryon could be a dominant player in 2022 and beyond.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, indifference said:

Excited to see his development here. Learning from JPP and Shaq will be beneficial. I know Bowles is ready to implement a pass rush package with all 3 guys on the field. Love his versatility to play in space in coverage

JPP moves inside on third down. Tryon outside.

Boom.

• Like 2

Yeah I love the pick. Getting Tryon at 32 is fantastic. While it’s just prediction, Licht said that if Tryon had played last year there is a good chance he wouldn’t of been anywhere near 32. He doesn’t have medical concerns like others and has a ton of physical tools from strength to bull rush or athleticism to drop in coverage. Bowles is all over this. We have fantastic coaches who will train this guy up and he will not be required to be a day 1 starter. Like was said above, kick JPP inside with Shaq and Tryon on the outside on 3rd down. Don’t forget we have Vea up the middle, Suh, Devin and Lavonte. That front 7 will be nightmarish.

• Like 2

I think our FO has earned all of our trust at this point, excited to see how he develops. 

Only one season starting, but 8 sacks and 12.5 TFL as a sophomore is impressive. Only Azeez and Rousseau have matched that kind of production as a SOPH. 

Comparable athletic profiles:

Joe Tryon | 6'5, 259 - 4.68 40 (1.64 split) - 34" arms, 82 3/4" wing - 35" VJ, 4.36 SS, 7.18 3C

Robert Quinn | 6'4, 265 - 4.60 40 (1.64 split) - 34" arms - 34" VJ, 4.31 SS, 6.99 3C

Carl Lawson | 6'2, 261 - 4.67 40 (1.60 split) - 31 1/2" arms - 33" VJ, 4.62 SS, 7.46 3C

TJ Watt | 6'4, 252 - 4.69 40 (1.59 split) - 33 1/3" arms, 79 1/4" wing - 37" VJ, 4.78 SS, 6.79 SC

• Like 2