Who would you have taken at #17?

Jeremy408

10 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Ojulari and Phillips have medicals, and Darrisaw apparently has a questionable drive, no thanks. The comparison for me will obviously be Darrisaw, but i dont have a problem with not taking a guy like that after we dealt with Trent Brown. Imagine the optics of trading away Brown, who is one of the better RTs in the league when right, just to take another guy that has been considered lazy. 

you literally wanted Darrisaw though

17 hours ago, Geezy said:

Darrisaw, JOK, Moehrig

Who would have traded to 11 for Fields? Many of us were calling for it in the thread. No disrespect to Carr, but Fields is a very special QB prospect. 

Imagine getting Fields at 11 and Forsythe or Radunz at 48. 

Would be a horrible defensive draft but we fix the line and get a Franchise QB. 

Could of still got DT BPA at 79, and Jamar Johnson at 80. 

At 17 it is still Darrisaw but if we were able to trade back to the late 1st I would have grabbed Jenkins.  Both are good value and fill a need.  I really wanted us to sign a capable RT so we were not forced to go OT.  We cold have gone Phillps or Farley if we had a RT even on a 1 year deal.  If Leatherwood dropped to 48 I do not think many would be complaining about it at 48.  Also give him a year, hopefully, to transition to the right side.  I do not think it is going to be Parker level bad but he will most likely struggle early.

17 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

At 17 it is still Darrisaw but if we were able to trade back to the late 1st I would have grabbed Jenkins.  Both are good value and fill a need.  I really wanted us to sign a capable RT so we were not forced to go OT.  We cold have gone Phillps or Farley if we had a RT even on a 1 year deal.  If Leatherwood dropped to 48 I do not think many would be complaining about it at 48.  Also give him a year, hopefully, to transition to the right side.  I do not think it is going to be Parker level bad but he will most likely struggle early.

If he struggles early it's a bad pick for me. He needs to average at bare minimum right away. He is definitely a plus in the run game. Big guy can move. But I want to see at least serviceable play early on.

• Like 1

I suppose we could be grateful, this team still is competitive most of the time, unless they are facing a Top 5 O Top 5 D balanced team like the Buccaneers. Much better than 2003-2009, the darkest time to be a fan with just constant misery. 

It’s still fun watching games. Although we have needed a secondary since 2012. 

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I had it Farley, Paye, Darrisaw. Would of been equally happy with any of these three.

I would not have taken pay but I had the other two before Leatherwood(until I heard about how Darrisaw doesn’t play with effort sometimes) 

With that being said The Colts were a perfect team for Paye to go to.

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I suppose we could be grateful, this team still is competitive most of the time, unless they are facing a Top 5 O Top 5 D balanced team like the Buccaneers. Much better than 2003-2009, the darkest time to be a fan with just constant misery. 

It’s still fun watching games. Although we have needed a secondary since 2012. 

The season is fun but also maddening. I still have some hope for today and signing a CB/pass rusher vet (sherman/hayward and Ingram come to mind).

If we somehow came away with JOK, Richie Grant, and signed Hayward and Ingram, I'd be super excited and optimistic for next year.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I would not have taken pay but I had the other two before Leatherwood(until I heard about how Darrisaw doesn’t play with effort sometimes) 

With that being said The Colts were a perfect team for Paye to go to.

I have never seen Darrisaw not play with effort. Man is a straight hustler on film. And if you watch his interviews, A+ character unlike Trent Brown. 

I did see a lot of complaints about Darrisaw not having a “mean streak” and is “boring”. I could care less about that though. Give me the most boring, technical masters in the draft. Drafting “mean” players sure has worked out well for the Raiders...

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I have never seen Darrisaw not play with effort. Man is a straight hustler on film. And if you watch his interviews, A+ character unlike Trent Brown. 

I did see a lot of complaints about Darrisaw not having a “mean streak” and is “boring”. I could care less about that though. Give me the most boring, technical masters in the draft. Drafting “mean” players sure has worked out well for the Raiders...

Playing without a mean streak is one thing(Kolton Miller doesn't play with a mean streak and neither does Leatherwood) but with Darrisaw I heard that he doesn't finish blocks and straight up doesn't play with effort. That seems to be confirmed by the number of teams that passed on him. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Playing without a mean streak is one thing(Kolton Miller doesn't play with a mean streak and neither does Leatherwood) but with Darrisaw I heard that he doesn't finish blocks and straight up doesn't play with effort. That seems to be confirmed by the number of teams that passed on him. 

Never seen it. 

Plus Darrisaw didn’t “fall”. While us Raider fans are very pessimistic about getting the player we want and didn’t think Darrisaw would be available, most mocks all offseason had Darrisaw go from 17-25. Vegas Betting Odds also had him as a favorite to go Pick 16 or later. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Never seen it. 

Plus Darrisaw didn’t “fall”. While us Raider fans are very pessimistic about getting the player we want and didn’t think Darrisaw would be available, most mocks all offseason had Darrisaw go from 17-25. Vegas Betting Odds also had him as a favorite to go Pick 16 or later. 

NFL.com:

Draft pick

Analysis: One of the least surprising moments of the first round was the Vikings trading out of the 14th overall spot once the Chargers selected Rashawn Slater at No. 13. Acquiring two third-round picks from the Jets (and sending back a fourth-rounder) to move down nine selections was clearly the right move, and looked even better when they found the left tackle they needed in Darrisaw at 23. Scouts did not like his inconsistency finishing plays, but he has the athleticism and strength to make it at the next level. His potential as a long-time starter at left tackle makes him a perfect fit for the Vikings.

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Never seen it. 

Overview

Athletically gifted left tackle prospect with the natural talent to be as good as he wants to be. Darrisaw plays with plus body control. He has the initial quickness and smooth agility to get to any and all blocks in the run game. The tape shows a player who's able to make jaw-dropping cutoffs on the backside but who gives half-hearted effort securing down blocks and squeezing down to help protect the B-gap. He's flexible and loose in pass pro, with the foot quickness and hand strength to punch and close up shop on would-be edge rushers. His mirror can get a little lazy at times, and he will definitely need to do a better job of finishing his blocks. The low-burn field demeanor leads to inconsistencies in play, but the athletic traits and talent as a true left tackle should create first-round demand as a higher-ceiling, lower-floor prospect.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:
Overview

Athletically gifted left tackle prospect with the natural talent to be as good as he wants to be. Darrisaw plays with plus body control. He has the initial quickness and smooth agility to get to any and all blocks in the run game. The tape shows a player who's able to make jaw-dropping cutoffs on the backside but who gives half-hearted effort securing down blocks and squeezing down to help protect the B-gap. He's flexible and loose in pass pro, with the foot quickness and hand strength to punch and close up shop on would-be edge rushers. His mirror can get a little lazy at times, and he will definitely need to do a better job of finishing his blocks. The low-burn field demeanor leads to inconsistencies in play, but the athletic traits and talent as a true left tackle should create first-round demand as a higher-ceiling, lower-floor prospect.

Sounds like leatherwood too 🤷🏾‍♂️ Let’s not act like leatherwood has some first round tape

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Sounds like leatherwood too 🤷🏾‍♂️ Let’s not act like leatherwood has some first round tape

Analysis: I projected Leatherwood to go in the first round a month ago, so it wasn't surprising that his name came off the board on Thursday night. I did not expect him to get picked when Teven Jenkins (Oklahoma State) and Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech) were still on the board, though.

Leatherwood is a first-round value because of his intelligence, versatility and toughness. He'll play in the league for many years, and you won't have to worry about his maturity and work ethic. Just plug him in at tackle or guard and let him do his thing. We'll see in time if Darrisaw or Jenkins turn out to be better players in the end.