1. 23 - Vikings Select Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

SemperFeist

8 hours ago, viking said:

Sill totally shocked Darrisaw fell to 23, he's got all the attributes, production, college tape and age that would make him a top 10 pick.

I couldn't believe it either.  I was hopeful that he might actually fall to #25 because you guys traded down when he was available at 14.  Kind of figured maybe Zim was thinking defense, but then you took him at 23.  Being cool and collected enough to wait all the way until #23 is some of Rick Spielman's best work as the Vikings' GM.  Then he gets Kellen Mond (basically for free, thanks to the trade down), and follows that up a couple of picks later with Wyatt Davis.   I have a feeling Darrisaw is going to be your LT for a long time.  He'll be a good one!

22 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I couldn't believe it either.  I was hopeful that he might actually fall to #25 because you guys traded down when he was available at 14.  Kind of figured maybe Zim was thinking defense, but then you took him at 23.  Being cool and collected enough to wait all the way until #23 is some of Rick Spielman's best work as the Vikings' GM.  Then he gets Kellen Mond (basically for free, thanks to the trade down), and follows that up a couple of picks later with Wyatt Davis.   I have a feeling Darrisaw is going to be your LT for a long time.  He'll be a good one!

Zim prolly did want a DE at #23 .. but there was a mini DE run before #23. Hip hip hurray

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Zim prolly did want a DE at #23 .. but there was a mini DE run before #23. Hip hip hurray

I have to admit, Kwity Paye would have looked pretty good in purple on opening day, but not as good as Darrisaw.  It has to be nice to have that LT situation locked up long term once and for all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Perhaps, it was reported they tried to trade back up to 17 w/Raiders for an OT.

Perhaps. 

I think if Darrisaw was there Top target (while on the clock at #14) they prolly take him at #14 (that's LT locked down). I think they valued the DEs more, moved down but they were taken.  Settled for Darrisaw, and are spinning it as "Darrisaw was the top target all along"

Just my opinion though, i am fine with the result

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Perhaps. 

I think if Darrisaw was there Top target (while on the clock at #14) they prolly take him at #14 (that's LT locked down). I think they valued the DEs more, moved down but they were taken.  Settled for Darrisaw, and are spinning it as "Darrisaw was the top target all along"

Just my opinion though, i am fine with the result

My thought is that they valued OT more than OG and that’s why they passed on AVT. They probably had a couple OT and DE targets they felt comfortable with at 23. But I agree, if he was their top target, then they would have pulled the trigger at #14 or taken a lesser package to move back fewer spots. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

My thought is that they valued OT more than OG and that’s why they passed on AVT. They probably had a couple OT and DE targets they felt comfortable with at 23. But I agree, if he was their top target, then they would have pulled the trigger at #14 or taken a lesser package to move back fewer spots. 

True but fact is they were probably more comfortable getting a potential OG in the 3rd round than getting a LT in the 3rd round.  And the fact maybe they do not view Ezra Cleveland as a long term LT so LT in Darrisaw was a bigger need than a OG in Vera-Tucker because obviously Wyatt Davis is a very solid get at OG in the 3rd.  The LT in the 3rd would have been Brady Christensen or maybe Spencer Brown based on how the board fell.  Both two good players but not sure they will be long time starting LTs like Darrisaw could be and probably will be.  

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I've been watching the drafts for three decades and this is by far the best Vikings draft I've ever seen. They hit every need and got absolute steals in some positions.

• Like 2

Zimmer: "Christian's a very good athlete, really good feet, good size. So far he's done a really nice job with the technique of things; so it's so far, so good. We've really seen him in two walk-throughs and one practice, so we'll get to know these guys a lot better as we move forward."

https://www.vikings.com/news/presser-points-zimmer-gives-early-evals-on-darrisaw-mond-other-vikings-draft-pic

• 3 weeks later...