2021 Day 2 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Adams is not a small WR.  He is 6'1, 215.  That is pretty stout.  He isn't a monster, like Lazard, or Calvin Johnson, but that is certainly not small for a WR.

He's small by Gute's standards. EQ is 6'5, Lazard is 6'5, Funchess is 6'4, MVS is 6'4". Many UDFA recievers he brought in to look at in training camp for the most part are over 6'4".

I'm not saying he doesn't draft or bring in smaller receivers but he does actively seek out bigger ones.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

I just made the case for double dipping at DL but thinking about Rodgers leaving and having Aaron Jones/ AJ Dillon in the backfield. How about we just go OT in the second and C in the third. Rodgers walks and we just run the crap out of the ball to help Love. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, R T said:

Everyone has an opinion about draft picks and who they like, but I really stopped years ago having favorites on who I liked and simply try to view it as best I can as the Packers view it. There is a lot less disappointment that way. With that said, I think if the Packers came out of the 2nd round with one of Dillon Rudunz, Walker Little or Dyami Brown they would be happy with their player. After those 3 the net would be cast a bit wide.

Edit: Quinn Meinerz might be number 4.   

I dont get so disappointed in the picks,  you have to give their guys a shot and see what happens over time.  The Packers have been successful over the years, and once again Gutes first round pick wasn't predicted by many.  

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

He's small by Gute's standards.

I think the thing we're highlighting with MLF is that for outside WRs one key attribute they value is "willingness and ability to block" which is somewhat related to size, but doesn't necessarily require size (I mean, Hines Ward is an all time blocking WR and he was 6'0" 205).

You've got your backfield jet motion gadget guys who don't block so much though, but it's unclear how much value that has on the roster (that's where you'd use a Moore type guy.)

Ryan Wood -   Remember, Brian Gutekunst said last night that had Eric Stokes not been on the board, he might have traded back from 29. There are early 2nd-round prospects he likes. And he's never hesitated to trade in the draft. With 9 more picks, wouldn't be shocking if he moves up from 62.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I don't know the guys CWood has mentioned but to answer your question, yes we do.

Gute has a type. He likes his WRs tall, long and athletic. Completely different to TT who like you said focused more on skills and tend to be on the smaller size at around 6ft.

Personally I don't fully subscribe to Gute's stance on WRs. It's not working and he completely ignores the fact that much of Rodgers success and production has been with shorter shiftier receivers like Adams, Driver, Jennings and Cobb. Bigger guys can't change direction as quickly whenever Rodgers escapes the pocket. Rodgers also isn't the type to regularly throw up contested balls as he values his low interception numbers making the need for a tall guy somewhat redundant. So yeah...I don't fully understand Gute's mindset on that.

Of course LaFleur's offence and Gutes WR preference matches perfectly as big WRs tend to be much better with run blocking. Imo that shouldn't be the driving reason for having big WRs. The driving reason should be to make catches for the QB regardless of size.

It certainly seems that way and I am definitely not a fan of it. I would much rather have a group of receivers that are 6'0-6'2 than a whole bunch of guys that are 6'4-6'5. I also miss that we used to have so much success running slants and attacking the seams with guys and I know coaching has changed but seems like we almost completely abandoned attacking the middle of the field over the years. 

I subscribe to either having all guys around 6'0-6'2 as mentioned or making your WR corps somewhat like a starting 5 in basketball; have a PG that is smaller and quick twitch, have a couple guys 6'0-6'2 as your SG/SF, have a 6'5 guy that would be your C, then the PF spot can be interchangeable with another big guy or grab another 6'0-6'2 guy. 

Edited by Victor1124