NFL Draft Day 2 GDT

Forge

San Francisco 49ers

The picks: Aaron Banks, G, Notre Dame (No. 48); Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio State (No. 88); Ambry Thomas, CB, Michigan

Banks is a big, 6-foot-5 lineman who has played guard and center, but Quinn Meinerz is higher in my rankings. Banks went a round too early. I don't think he's a surefire rookie starter, which is what teams need to get if they're taking a guard in the second round.

The running back class this year has been slow to develop, and I have Sermon ranked behind Michael Carter, a diminutive dynamo with more explosiveness than Sermon. The Niners likely could have gotten Sermon in Round 4. We know the Shanahans get production out of late-round and even undrafted tailbacks, so I was surprised they took him this early.

As for Thomas, I had a sixth-round grade on him, and there were better corners available.

San Francisco 49ers

The pick: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State (No. 3)

Lance is one of the most fascinating prospects I've ever studied, but the 49ers just took my fifth-ranked quarterback at No. 3 overall. According to ESPN Stats & Information research, Lance's 318 career passing attempts at North Dakota State are the fewest passes thrown by any first-round quarterback in the past 40 years. That's astonishing, and it points to the risk here.

I had heard for weeks that Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers were debating between Lance and Mac Jones, and I thought Jones had the edge. He fit the mold of Shanahan's previous successful quarterbacks, including Matt Ryan, as pocket passers who are extremely accurate throwers at every level of the field. Lance, though, is a tremendous passer too. He takes care of the football; he threw just a lone interception in 17 college starts. And he's only 20 years old. Clearly Lance's high ceiling gave him the edge over Jones.

Still, this pick has to work for the 49ers, who traded up nine spots and mortgaged their future capital to get to No. 3. Can Lance reach his ceiling under Shanahan's coaching? We'll find out soon.

Fair to say Kiper is not a fan of our draft and we will be getting a D or C- at best draft grade from him lol. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fair to say Kiper is not a fan of our draft and we will be getting a D or C- at best draft grade from him lol. 

Lol would things be different if we had taken Mac? Seemed like dude is a bit salty he was wrong about that one

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So you're saying that we had a great draft? 

Don't get me wrong, Mel is a pioneer and revolutionized the game, but he's been really bad at this for 5+ years 

This is our 5th draft. I am thinking the process is really starting to click for this regime. They've had some big misses, but they have also hit a lot of homeruns 

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I’d give it about a C or C+ right now. It’s not a sexy class, but we’re filling needs.

It’s not going to be graded very high by pundits, but it has a good chance of being a quality class. 

The more I think about the Banks pick, the more I like it. If he can win the RG job, that allows Brunskill to go back to being the swing man for the entire line, which is where he’s really valuable. It elevates the quality of the o-line holistically. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I’d give it about a C or C+ right now. It’s not a sexy class, but we’re filling needs.

It’s not going to be graded very high by pundits, but it has a good chance of being a quality class. 

The more I think about the Banks pick, the more I like it. If he can win the RG job, that allows Brunskill to go back to being the swing man for the entire line, which is where he’s really valuable. It elevates the quality of the o-line holistically. 

I think none of our picks are standing out in value or jumping of the screen in terms of scheme fit. Its a nice class that will probably have succes but i can see why pundits would prefer other more flashy classes.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

So you're saying that we had a great draft? 

Don't get me wrong, Mel is a pioneer and revolutionized the game, but he's been really bad at this for 5+ years 

This is our 5th draft. I am thinking the process is really starting to click for this regime. They've had some big misses, but they have also hit a lot of homeruns 

Agreed. I think from a need, addressing our deficiencies FINALLY, especially on the line and corner are surefire selections. I still think we should have switched our rb/corner. I think we could have gotten our top corner at Sermon’s position and then got our rb later, but that’s my preference. I like what Lynch and co are doing this year!