Saints 2021 NFL Draft Results and Discussion:

whodatworm23

Kawaan Baker adds some much needed speed to our WR corps... he is going to come in as a more polished WR than Devonte Harris has been and could very well push him for reps right away, the competition should be good for both of them. 

I remember before the draft, some blog listed him as a “must have” sleeper in this draft. Wouldn’t have surprised anyone to see him go any time on day 3, so getting him as late as we did is a nice get IMO.

don’t know anything about the tackle, but I’ll never complain about late round trench talent 

21 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

DB, Bryce Thompson, DB Trill Williams and DT Josiah Bronson are guys from UDFA that have caught my eye.

Now with that said, I've read Thompson has some off the field red flags so I'm sure he'll be on a short leash.

You should start a UDFA thread. 😎

21 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I think Book could develop into a quality backup/spot starter. A lot of similarities to a guy like Gardner Minshew

I'm actually higher on Book... I realize people are all over on his potential but the kid is a winner and a baller. I love his athleticism, he's a gamer. Alot of whats being said about Book now was being said about Dak coming out of Miss St. 

I would not be shocked if Ian Book is the Saints starting QB within 2 years.

9 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I'm actually higher on Book... I realize people are all over on his potential but the kid is a winner and a baller. I love his athleticism, he's a gamer. Alot of whats being said about Book now was being said about Dak coming out of Miss St. 

I would not be shocked if Ian Book is the Saints starting QB within 2 years.

I don't think he had the arm talent Dak had, but we shall see. I'd love to be wrong on him.

10 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I don't think he had the arm talent Dak had, but we shall see. I'd love to be wrong on him.

I think his arm talent is underrated... is not terrific but its solid. Its the fit, his accuracy is really underrated and he's a great timing rhythm passer which is ideal for Paytons scheme. His foot quickness and ability to scramble and make plays off script and throw from different angles on the run is 2nd only in this draft to Zach Wilson. 

Will he be a starter one day... who knows but I love the fit with Sean Payton. He reminds me of Jake Plummer from Arizona a few years back who was a slight scrambler 2nd round pick I think that ended up being a solid starter. I had Book graded as a 3rd round talent with starter potential... we shall see.

Well that's frustrating, we have had chances to take highly touted QB prospects in 3 of the past 5 drafts and only have Ian Book to show for it. Not ideal. Going to look even worse if Winston doesn't pan out for us.

In 2017 we were in position for Mahomes or Watson. Could have easily traded up if Payton really wanted Mahomes. In 2018 we were rumored to like Lamar Jackson and traded away a future 1st round pick to trade way up in the 1st round...Instead of taking Lamar Jackson, we go with Davenport. Now this year, the front office clearly liked Mac Jones and didn't do what needed to be done to get themselves into a position to take him. This could look real bad if Mac Jones turns out to be a good QB, which I think he will.

16 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Well that's frustrating, we have had chances to take highly touted QB prospects in 3 of the past 5 drafts and only have Ian Book to show for it. Not ideal. Going to look even worse if Winston doesn't pan out for us.

In 2017 we were in position for Mahomes or Watson. Could have easily traded up if Payton really wanted Mahomes. In 2018 we were rumored to like Lamar Jackson and traded away a future 1st round pick to trade way up in the 1st round...Instead of taking Lamar Jackson, we go with Davenport. Now this year, the front office clearly liked Mac Jones and didn't do what needed to be done to get themselves into a position to take him. This could look real bad if Mac Jones turns out to be a good QB, which I think he will.

There was a report from Albert Breer from MMQB that the sticking point in trading up was a third 1st round pick to go from 28 to a top 10 pick. I'm ok with not making that trade at that price.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

There was a report from Albert Breer from MMQB that the sticking point in trading up was a third 1st round pick to go from 28 to a top 10 pick. I'm ok with not making that trade at that price.

Yeah thats steep for top 10, but I have a feeling spots 11-14 weren't that bad though. Based off what the Bears gave up to go from 20 to 11 I doubt we are talking 3 1st round picks.

53 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah thats steep for top 10, but I have a feeling spots 11-14 weren't that bad though. Based off what the Bears gave up to go from 20 to 11 I doubt we are talking 3 1st round picks.

20-28 is a huge difference in value still.  I think it would cost more than you think.  Even then if we were trading up for a QB it should've been to #11 instead of the Bears to get Fields.

37 minutes ago, Raves said:

20-28 is a huge difference in value still.  I think it would cost more than you think.  Even then if we were trading up for a QB it should've been to #11 instead of the Bears to get Fields.

Disagree on Fields, I'd rather have Jones but that's beside the point. Regardless, the value likely wouldn't cost that much more.

For example, the Chiefs traded up from pick 27  to get Mahomes at pick 10. They traded away pick 27, 3rd round pick, and 2018 1st round pick to move up. The Saints traded from 27 to 14 to get Davenport in 2018. They traded pick 27, 5th round pick, and 2019 1st round pick. The value really starts to dip as you get out of the top 10 in most drafts. Doubt we are looking at 3 1st round picks to land their target (Mac Jones).

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Disagree on Fields, I'd rather have Jones but that's beside the point. Regardless, the value likely wouldn't cost that much more.

For example, the Chiefs traded up from pick 27  to get Mahomes at pick 10. They traded away pick 27, 3rd round pick, and 2018 1st round pick to move up. The Saints traded from 27 to 14 to get Davenport in 2018. They traded pick 27, 5th round pick, and 2019 1st round pick. The value really starts to dip as you get out of the top 10 in most drafts. Doubt we are looking at 3 1st round picks to land their target (Mac Jones).

I don't know about 3 1sts, but I could definitely see 2 1sts and them wanting a 2nd or 2 3rds, especially with there being competition to move up.

I don't know why you want Alex Smith 2.0.  I think Jones will end up being a QB that you never feel like you need to replace but never actually outstanding, same way I feel about Dak.  Fields might be more likely to fail in the NFL than Jones, but he's also much more likely to become exceptional.

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

I don't know about 3 1sts, but I could definitely see 2 1sts and them wanting a 2nd or 2 3rds, especially with there being competition to move up.

I'd be willing to give up 2 future prospects for a shot at a talented franchise QB. Much more willing to do that than what we did for Davenport.

Or in other words I'd give up Pete Werner, and next years 1st without much hesitation. My guess is next years first would be on the back end of the 1st round with competent QB play. 

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

I don't know why you want Alex Smith 2.0.  I think Jones will end up being a QB that you never feel like you need to replace but never actually outstanding, same way I feel about Dak.  Fields might be more likely to fail in the NFL than Jones, but he's also much more likely to become exceptional.

I don't want Alex Smith 2.0, but I think Jones has quite a few similarities to a guy like Matt Ryan. I'd certainly be willing to take a chance on him.