Saints 2021 NFL Draft Results and Discussion:

whodatworm23

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

I'd be willing to give up 2 future prospects for a shot at a talented franchise QB. Much more willing to do that than what we did for Davenport.

Or in other words I'd give up Pete Werner, and next years 1st without much hesitation. My guess is next years first would be on the back end of the 1st round with competent QB play. 

I don't want Alex Smith 2.0, but I think Jones has quite a few similarities to a guy like Matt Ryan. I'd certainly be willing to take a chance on him.

Even if the comp was Matt Ryan, Fields still had a higher ceiling.  Like I said, Jones, much like Ryan, will be a good QB that you never feel like you need to replace them, I just don't think they're special.  I feel like even Matt Ryan's MVP season wasn't nearly as special as people seem to think it was.

6 minutes ago, Raves said:

Even if the comp was Matt Ryan, Fields still had a higher ceiling.  Like I said, Jones, much like Ryan, will be a good QB that you never feel like you need to replace them, I just don't think they're special.  I feel like even Matt Ryan's MVP season wasn't nearly as special as people seem to think it was.

You're entitled to that opinion. We will certainly see in the coming years, but I got Mac Jones as the better NFL QB over Fields.

Just now, tyler735 said:

You're entitled to that opinion. We will certainly see in the coming years, but I got Mac Jones as the better NFL QB over Fields.

That's completely possible, but I don't think Jones will ever be considered exceptional while Fields has that chance, though he's also just as likely to end up like RGIII.  I see Fields more in the line of Watson personally.

14 minutes ago, Raves said:

That's completely possible, but I don't think Jones will ever be considered exceptional while Fields has that chance, though he's also just as likely to end up like RGIII.  I see Fields more in the line of Watson personally.

Wouldn't yall agree that fit will play a huge role in how these quarterbacks pan out? Outside of Lawrence whom I feel can succeed anywhere... Fields landing with Nagy was a really good fit. Jones landing with the Pats was an excellent fit. Lance with Shanahan was amazing as was Lawrence with Myer. The only prospect I'm concerned for is Wilson to the Jets as the fit doesn't feel as good as the others. I'm interested to see how all these guys pan out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Wouldn't yall agree that fit will play a huge role in how these quarterbacks pan out? Outside of Lawrence whom I feel can succeed anywhere... Fields landing with Nagy was a really good fit. Jones landing with the Pats was an excellent fit. Lance with Shanahan was amazing as was Lawrence with Myer. The only prospect I'm concerned for is Wilson to the Jets as the fit doesn't feel as good as the others. I'm interested to see how all these guys pan out.

I personally loved the fit of Jones here with Payton. We have an excellent OL, an elite WR in Michael Thomas that thrives in the short and intermediate game, and an elite RB that is essentially the ultimate check down option. This seems like the perfect storm for a guy like Mac Jones to get the absolute most out of his skillset.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I personally loved the fit of Jones here with Payton. We have an excellent OL, an elite WR in Michael Thomas that thrives in the short and intermediate game, and an elite RB that is essentially the ultimate check down option. This seems like the perfect storm for a guy like Mac Jones to get the absolute most out of his skillset.

Agreed but I also see him as an ideal fit in New England as well. I think the Saints viewed Jones as a good fit if he would have fell to them but maybe not worth trading up for.

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

@Raves What is your thoughts on the OSU LB, if I missed it

He's solid?  I dunno I was rather unimpressed by our defense last year and I think my frustrations might influence even the good players.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

He's solid?  I dunno I was rather unimpressed by our defense last year and I think my frustrations might influence even the good players.

I only watched a few games live of Ohio State but I did study 4 games of Werners film. I don't know the inteaceies of their defense but it appeared to me that Werner was asked to do alot more than other linebackers likely due to his athleticism. He was moved around and even played a hybrid safety at times showcasing his range. He made alot of tackles across the field from where he started  which shows his effort but a casual fan will only see it as "this guy is always late" when the truth is that he was bailing out his teammates whom the runner got past. I had Werner as a top 50 prospect on my final big board and I feel the Saints got great value with him at 60.

Just now, whodatworm23 said:

I only watched a few games live of Ohio State but I did study 4 games of Werners film. I don't know the inteaceies of their defense but it appeared to me that Werner was asked to do alot more than other linebackers likely due to his athleticism. He was moved around and even played a hybrid safety at times showcasing his range. He made alot of tackles across the field from where he started  which shows his effort but a casual fan will only see it as "this guy is always late" when the truth is that he was bailing out his teammates whom the runner got past. I had Werner as a top 50 prospect on my final big board and I feel the Saints got great value with him at 60.

That's likely true.  Outside of Werner the only 2 I had any hopes for were Browning and Hilliard.  Borland is a good thumper and will likely be a special team Ace in the NFL but he just wasn't that good which mean the others on the field with him had to raise their game.  I think Werner will be good for the Saints, just he's going to need to transition from having to try and cover for his teammates to playing in his role as otherwise it might cause him to make mistakes.  He'll get there though. 

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

That's likely true.  Outside of Werner the only 2 I had any hopes for were Browning and Hilliard.  Borland is a good thumper and will likely be a special team Ace in the NFL but he just wasn't that good which mean the others on the field with him had to raise their game.  I think Werner will be good for the Saints, just he's going to need to transition from having to try and cover for his teammates to playing in his role as otherwise it might cause him to make mistakes.  He'll get there though. 

This could be true... I was not high on Browning. Great size and athleticism but watching the film it was clear Ohio State didn't trust him to do more than the role he was in. I also questioned his instincts. I think he'll be a solid pro as long as he's in the right situation and package but he's not a 3 down linebacker in the NFL like Werner is.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dome said:

Trill Williams was the big hype UDFA too lol 

the big hype UDFAs almost never pan out. The ones that pan out are typically obscure guys that come out of nowhere...Pierre Thomas, Lance Moore, Chris Ivory, Deonte Harris. It would be nice to get a UDFA that pans out from the defensive side of the ball now and again. 

42 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

the big hype UDFAs almost never pan out. The ones that pan out are typically obscure guys that come out of nowhere...Pierre Thomas, Lance Moore, Chris Ivory, Deonte Harris. It would be nice to get a UDFA that pans out from the defensive side of the ball now and again. 

We've had a few undrafted guys that play defense that have given us some solid production over the years. Guys like Junior Galette, Ken Crawley, and most recently Carl Granderson come to mind.