Time Will Tell: Deshone Kizer & Mattew Stafford's First 5 Games

Mind Character

Like Stafford's first year, Kizer has had some flashes but also a lot of really bad and critical turnovers.

Interesting enough, Stafford had a 6 turnover game (5 Ints; 1 Fumble) and a 5 turnover game (4 INT; 1 Fumble game) w/ redzone turnovers.

First five games Stafford 3TDs; 7 INTs....Kizer 3TDs; 9 INTs..,can't recall if Stafford's INTs were all on him or not but I certainly know at least 2 INTs of Kizer were on Britt.

Stafford was definitely the superior talent in all aspects relative to Kizer coming out IMO, but their similar flashes, pocket poise, and WOW throwing ability will hopefully lead to a similar trajectory; that is, Kizer learns and turns it around by balling out as the talent around him gets better and his game ability/understanding progresses.

Time will tell...of course...and it may not actually get better...but history/context is important.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew Stafford's first 5 games (Yes, Calvin Johnson was on that team)

vdT9xyl.png

X9wIL31.png

Deshone Kizer's first 5 games

5qbV163.png

Matthew Stafford's full season first year starting

1vVzNT7.png

Obviously Stafford is a best case scenario, but I do think it's important to keep in mind how much a player can progress when given the chance.

Both were absurdly young and on bad teams, at least Stafford had Megatron.

The key for me will be Kizer's TD's.  He HAS to start getting the ball in the endzone more.  INT's will happen, but they have to be paired with positive plays as well. 

I think the type of turnovers/INT's matter too.  For example the redzone picks and turnovers have to stop.

We'll see I suppose.  He hasn't been good at all, but he's young, smart, appears to have strong character, elite physical tools, etc.. Let's just hope he can put it all together.

I would like to see the dropped passes and INT that are on the WR factored in to see what his stats would be.

We have to give this kid time to play and work through things.  At 21 years old and not getting the kind of guidance in college that he needed he has performed as expected.  We, as Cleveland fans are so starved to win we throw common sense out the window and start screaming for the backup for fire the coach without giving anyone time to gel.

With almost $55 mill in cap money sitting there for next year we can look to FA for at 1-2 WR....here are a few I would love to see us look at .

Sammy Watkins, Alson Jeffrey, Marqise Lee, Jordan Mathews, Davante Adams, and Jarvis Landry.

I would love for us to sign Watkins and Adams and and then with Coleman if he can stay healthy with the remote possibly of Gordon we could have one hell of a WR group.

Draft wise I am a huge fan of Arden Key.  If we take him and Barkley in the first then trade a 2nd for a 1st next year and go CB or S in the 2nd round I think we make a HUGE jump next year.  Key and Garrett coming off the corners would be a nightmare for any oline to deal with.

The Profootballfocus (PFF) ratings aren't gospel. But many times their ratings match the eye test. PFF rated 110 receivers, and the Browns receivers rank 102nd (Ricardo Louis) 106th (Rashard Higgins) and 108th (Kenny Britt).

I think if we had Carson Wentz he would not be doing as well as he was in Philly. No one could make these turds shine. 

40 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The Profootballfocus (PFF) ratings aren't gospel. But many times their ratings match the eye test. PFF rated 110 receivers, and the Browns receivers rank 102nd (Ricardo Louis) 106th (Rashard Higgins) and 108th (Kenny Britt).

I think if we had Carson Wentz he would not be doing as well as he was in Philly. No one could make these turds shine. 

True but if the Eagles had PFF's worst rated passer their offense probably wouldn't be doing as well either.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

True but if the Eagles had PFF's worst rated passer their offense probably wouldn't be doing as well either.

chicken and egg. 

But it leans towards the WR's. 

higgins can't separate and drops the ball more than he should. 

Louis drops the ball too much and gets some decent separation. I think eh is actually playing ok. 

Britt often generate separation but drops as many balls as he catches. He is a poor mans  TO passed his used by date. 

2016: QB Cody Kessler finished with a 78.2 adjusted completion percentage – fifth highest. However, among those qualified quarterbacks, he had thrown the fourth-fewest passes.

2017: Accuracy has been an issue for Kizer and is evident in his league-low adjusted completion percentage of 65.2 percent.

So Kessler lost 12.6% of his possible completions. Kizer has lost 14.3% of his.

However, if every catchable pass that Kizer has thrown had been caught he would still have a lower completion percentage than Kessler had last year. He is just very inaccurate thus far and that makes him very unsuccessful.

So yeah, Wentz wouldn't be doing great in Cleveland most likely but the biggest reason Kizer hasn't been that good is because Kizer hasn't been that good.

42 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

2016: QB Cody Kessler finished with a 78.2 adjusted completion percentage – fifth highest. However, among those qualified quarterbacks, he had thrown the fourth-fewest passes.

2017: Accuracy has been an issue for Kizer and is evident in his league-low adjusted completion percentage of 65.2 percent.

So Kessler lost 12.6% of his possible completions. Kizer has lost 14.3% of his.

However, if every catchable pass that Kizer has thrown had been caught he would still have a lower completion percentage than Kessler had last year. He is just very inaccurate thus far and that makes him very unsuccessful.

So yeah, Wentz wouldn't be doing great in Cleveland most likely but the biggest reason Kizer hasn't been that good is because Kizer hasn't been that good.

You may be right, but that hurts. 

45 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I like this Mind

The Kid will be good

Give him time and receivers

but I would take Baker Mayfield if hes there in the 2nd round..

It certainly could happen. I hope it happens. I hope it starts tomorrow. There comes a time when the game slows down for players and decision making gets quicker and throws don't have to be rushed because you are on time with your throws so accuracy improves.

Now the game doesn't slow down for everyone, at least not at the same rate but there is hope. I don't want to take that hope away from anyone. I will say at this time it is still just hope tied to a powerful arm but it is better than no chance at all.

Archived