Time Will Tell: Deshone Kizer & Mattew Stafford's First 5 Games

Mind Character

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

2016: QB Cody Kessler finished with a 78.2 adjusted completion percentage – fifth highest. However, among those qualified quarterbacks, he had thrown the fourth-fewest passes.

2017: Accuracy has been an issue for Kizer and is evident in his league-low adjusted completion percentage of 65.2 percent.

So Kessler lost 12.6% of his possible completions. Kizer has lost 14.3% of his.

However, if every catchable pass that Kizer has thrown had been caught he would still have a lower completion percentage than Kessler had last year. He is just very inaccurate thus far and that makes him very unsuccessful.

I want to compare the passes and if they were short/intermediate/long between these completion numbers for Kessler and Kizer. 

I cant seem to kind stats on deep passes. I did find a stat called Average Intended Air Yards. I believe that means how many yards the ball is in the air. Kessler last year was throwing an avg of 8yards in the air. Ranking him 7th to last. Out of QBs who have started more than one game, Kizer is at10yards threw the air, making him 4th to the top.

To me its hard to compare Kessler and Kizer because they both play the position differently. Kizer will attack down field at will. Kessler struggled to throw the ball 20yards down field.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I want to compare the passes and if they were short/intermediate/long between these completion numbers for Kessler and Kizer. 

I cant seem to kind stats on deep passes. I did find a stat called Average Intended Air Yards. I believe that means how many yards the ball is in the air. Kessler last year was throwing an avg of 8yards in the air. Ranking him 7th to last. Out of QBs who have started more than one game, Kizer is at10yards threw the air, making him 4th to the top.

To me its hard to compare Kessler and Kizer because they both play the position differently. Kizer will attack down field at will. Kessler struggled to throw the ball 20yards down field.

I did read that Kizer was the lowest rated passer on passes beyond 10 yards. He was also the lowest rated passer on throws inside 10 yards though. 7 of Kizer's interceptions have been on short passes compared to 2 on deep passes. So even if every one of Kessler's passes were short passes that is a 2 to 7 difference with Kizer having about 40 less attempts.

My count was Kizer is 11-42 passing "deep" by ESPN standards which I believe is beyond 10 yards. So removing those he is at 59.8% on short passes, with the 7 picks.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I did read that Kizer was the lowest rated passer on passes beyond 10 yards. He was also the lowest rated passer on throws inside 10 yards though. 7 of Kizer's interceptions have been on short passes compared to 2 on deep passes. So even if every one of Kessler's passes were short passes that is a 2 to 7 difference with Kizer having about 40 less attempts.

My count was Kizer is 11-42 passing "deep" by ESPN standards which I believe is beyond 10 yards. So removing those he is at 59.8% on short passes, with the 7 picks.

If you are right about this, Kizer and Hue's idea of an offense both are pathetic.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

2016: QB Cody Kessler finished with a 78.2 adjusted completion percentage – fifth highest. However, among those qualified quarterbacks, he had thrown the fourth-fewest passes.

2017: Accuracy has been an issue for Kizer and is evident in his league-low adjusted completion percentage of 65.2 percent.

So Kessler lost 12.6% of his possible completions. Kizer has lost 14.3% of his.

However, if every catchable pass that Kizer has thrown had been caught he would still have a lower completion percentage than Kessler had last year. He is just very inaccurate thus far and that makes him very unsuccessful.

So yeah, Wentz wouldn't be doing great in Cleveland most likely but the biggest reason Kizer hasn't been that good is because Kizer hasn't been that good.

You really also have to consider ball placement.  I have seen several of Kizer's completions this year that had horrible placement and the receiver was immediately tackled as a result, often times having to go to the ground to make the catch.  The same plays with good placement would have turned into huge gains.

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

If you are right about this, Kizer and Hue's idea of an offense both are pathetic.

Hue needs a competent QB, and his AJ Green type of #1 WR to make the offense work better.  With them, pressure is off of the running game, no stacked box, and it gets better too.

Archived