TRADE! 38th overall pick Christian Barmore - DT - Alabama

Deadpulse

9 minutes ago, Starless said:

I will say that this is easily my favorite pick of the draft.

I will also say that the last time the Pats traded up in the 2nd round to select a player who was widely considered the best of his class at that position, it was Chad Jackson, so keep things in perspective. 

...Or more recently, Rob Gronkowski. That turned out alright.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Starless said:

Gresham was the consensus #1 TE in that class. 

And Santonio Homes was the consensus #1 WR in the 2006 class. Gronk may very well have gone 1st in 2010 had it not been for his back injury concerns. I tend to think better of a draft selection when we move up for them.

Looking back at our 2nd round history during the BB era tho... ouch.

5 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Barmore is as good a prospect as Dexter Lawrence / Jeffrey Simmons / Christian Wilkins from the previous years in my opinion.

The fact that he fell to the 2nd in such a weak class where he was easily the top DT is still baffling me. We just got this dude in the SECOND round.

Agreed. I wouldn't have been too upset if he was the pick at 15 or Zaven Collins. But Mac was a given since he was there.

5 hours ago, Starless said:

I will say that this is easily my favorite pick of the draft.

I will also say that the last time the Pats traded up in the 2nd round to select a player who was widely considered the best of his class at that position, it was Chad Jackson, so keep things in perspective. 

I’m still a chad Jackson believer tbh

• Like 2

10 hours ago, m haynes said:

hey hey, you'll see.. this is going to be the year! He just graduated yesterday.. he's a smart, hard working guy. I think he has a chance to break out this year. I really liked that pick and still think he could be used in a variety of ways.. he needs the opportunity. He played something like 15-20% of snaps last year and he didn't play poorly overall. 

21 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

hey hey, you'll see.. this is going to be the year! He just graduated yesterday.. he's a smart, hard working guy. I think he has a chance to break out this year. I really liked that pick and still think he could be used in a variety of ways.. he needs the opportunity. He played something like 15-20% of snaps last year and he didn't play poorly overall. 

I love your optimism. I think it's more likely he is a bust but if he surprises, it's this year.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

(45) New England Patriots: Joejuan Williams, CB - Vanderbilt 

He's got a lot of work to do.   You wrote this (praying) on your knees! 😀

https://nesn.com/2021/05/patriots-christian-barmore-why-fell-in-nfl-draft/

Boston Sports Journal’s Greg Bedard talked to multiple scouts who were dubious of Barmore’s chances of excelling at the professional level.

Check out these excerpts from his column published Friday:

“Yeah, we looked hard at him, could use a player like him … Barmore was not for us,” said one team.

What was the issue? I’m not going to divulge specific information to protect my sources and their relationships, but it boils down to this: there are a lot of questions about Barmore’s intelligence and how it might manifest itself once he’s out of the more controlling collegiate environment and has more freedom.

The team that had the late second-round grade on Barmore said that was the earliest they would have been comfortable with the risk.

“Alabama barely held him together,” said an NFC scout. “As a pro, he’s a real wild-card.

I asked another scout if he had any specifics, and he said that just general accountability — getting to practice and class — was a struggle for him and Barmore has to be in a very tightly controlled environment, like Alabama has, to succeed. Barmore also was in a very heavy rotation — most players with his talent play upwards of 70 percent of snaps. His playing time just kept dropping to about a 50-50 split. That’s very unusual and sent scouts digging for answers.

“I think he’s going to be a big-time bust,” said one scout, again, before the Patriots picked him.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2021/05/01/bedard-teams-avoided-christian-barmore-patriots-pounced-upped-risk-day-2/

But there's a flip side with Barmore that will need to be dealt with for the Belichick bet to pay off. I know of at least one team that took Barmore off their draft board. Another had a late second-round grade on him. Both were teams that play similar schemes to the Patriots, and had an interest in interior defensive players.

Even Belichick talked about how rare it was for a player of Barmore's talent to be at that spot.

"It's pretty unusual to get the first defensive tackle to be drafted at that point and the first interior defensive lineman to be drafted at that point in the draft, so we traded up," Belichick said. "Felt good about acquiring that and look forward to working with Christian."

• Like 1

@The Third Rider the only things in the Patriots favor are these:

1. You can ask him to simply rush the passer OR play the run. Having him discern when to between the two is something he struggles with. This makes it even clearer.

2. Bill Belichick and Nick Saban coach similarly it is said.

3. The Patriots have intelligent veteran defensive linemen to influence Baremore as good as any team in the NFL can. Henry Anderson, Lawrence Guy, and Davon Godcheux are versatile, professional, experienced, smart teammates and love football. I think this may be the most important factor.

It is ultimately up to Baremore who has the raw ability to be worth a first round pick but there is a definite risk as far as character is concerned.

• Like 1