49ers select OG Aaron Banks With the 48th Pick in the 2nd round

J-ALL-DAY

16 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well they finally got tired of me bitchin and moaning about being cheap@OG and invested some resources...

**slow hand clap**

But seriously, there were other OGs I liked better but Jones is solid. Thought he went a round too early imo.

About the same here. I do think it came down to him or Cleveland if they were zoomed in on guard and not value shopping (as I think is pretty obvious). I think the FO likes athletes at center and tackle and bruisers at guard that can zone block enough for short yardage. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Happy to be able to put brunskill back into a top utility backup role

Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey the starting 5

McVitz the top OG backup. Brunskill the top OT backup. 

Still think we could use 2 more OL to boost our depth. Maybe get one more in draft/UDFA & re-sign Ben Garland 

I would of loved us to pick JOK or Dillion Radunz but otherwise love the Pick of Banks. Big Nasty OG has a few things to tidy up but otherwise a good pick :)

About time we drafted so interior offensive lineman in first 3 rounds. 

For those who want to hear a little about him, I'd recommend listening to the locked in nfl draft podcast where they covered interior linemen and their final evals. They spent about the first 10 minutes talking about banks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Well they finally got tired of me bitchin and moaning about being cheap@OG and invested some resources...

**slow hand clap**

But seriously, there were other OGs I liked better but Jones is solid. Thought he went a round too early imo.

I am completely with you. I was saying to forge earlier in the day that I hoped we would snag an OLman in the 2nd since its such an important positional group and we have been skating by with inferior players on the interior.

So I am happy that we finally spent a premium asset on a guard. This will allow us to protect McStinky more, because you would hope the rest of the line will do more than hold their own in pass protection. From a schematic standpoint, that is huge. Anything that takes some handcuffs off of kyles playcalls will make us a better offense overall. 

I dont know much about this guy, but ND gets a lot out of their OL, so I expect him to be an immediate starter at RG

It lets brunskill go back to being the 6th OL who can play anywhere, thats huge as well. By pushing him down the depthchart, we improved our depth across the entire OL.

I would still like to add a swing tackle and a center. Garoppolo NEEDS good protection. This honestly feels like a move that we will all be super thrilled with come January. This is what championship teams do

Our offense has top 5 upside next year:
Top 10ish OL. Stable of RBs. All pro TE. #1 WR in Aiyuk. Motivated JG and dynamic QB on the bench who will undoubtedly see snaps in the RZ.

This is all without considering we have a top 3 offensive playcaller to boot. 

This pick was the final piece to erase a major weakness to our team... the interior OL (and the whole right side) was so so so bad last year. 

On 4/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yet PFF had like a 4th round grade on him because mainly his lack of athleticism and thinking he has capped out. 

If he can be an All-pro run blocker and avg to above avg pass pro...he'll fit right in. I know he'll most likely play RG but I want him at LG so we can power run left with Kittle, Trent and Banks leading the way. 

The Pick: Aaron Banks, OG

Grade: B+

Why: Most people thought this was a little early, but a lot of pundits had him as a late 2nd to mid 3rd. We got him in the middle of the 2nd. We also got him and an extra 4th in exchange for giving up our 7th, so the value is definitely there for me. 

2021 Impact: High

Why: Banks has an excellent chance to win the starting RG spot, which pushes Brunskill to the 6th man spot on the line. This immediately makes our line much, much better if that happens as it gives our line a lot of flexibility. Even if he doesn't win the starting job, I'd expect Banks to be the first off the bench. 

My Thoughts: I didn’t scout Banks pre-draft, so I’ve gone back and watched/read about him and I came away impressed. He’s very good in a zone blocking scheme, which is kind of rare for a man his size (6’5 325). He's a bit lumbering on pulling but he's a mountain of a man that hits with aggression. I'd like to see him shed some of the weight and scale down to about 315 to help with his mobility. He’s an accomplished pass blocker as well, which would be an amazing thing for the right side of our line. There’s a lot to like here and he could easily be a solid starting RG for the next several years. 

What I Like

• Great IQ with zone assignments
  • A human wall, especially when he gets to the second level
  • Anchoring against bull rushes
  • Awareness in pass protection
  • Mean streak - wants to put guys in body bags
  • Technique in pass pro and run blocking
  • Like 1