2nd Round Pick: Dillon Radunz-RT

KingTitan

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

We definitely needed a RT but spending the 53rd pick on one is beyond dumb. Then again, we also spent the 8th overall pick on one before so nothing surprises me with Robinson anymore.

The value of a good RT is higher than it used to be. Used to the RDE/Right edge would generally always be the top one for the defense, and thus why the LT(on top of being the blindside protector) was always the most valued tackle. Defenses don't really follow that train of thought anymore, move their rushers all around, etc. Saw it mentioned on twitter how the Colts are seemingly going all out on pass rush/DL as well, so I suppose that factors in to building up OL as well.

Again though, I'm fine with the player/think he'll be a solid tackle..I just don't understand why we created this need for ourselves in the first place and did nothing with the money cutting Kelly created.

I don't get the logic that a starting OT isn't worth a late 2nd round pick. It doesn't matter who our 2nd WR is if Tannehill is sacked.

I love it and I'm glad we finally have our guy at RT. 

This enables to actually drop back and pass and Tannehill won't be under pressure in every obvious passing situation.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The value of a good RT is higher than it used to be. Used to the RDE/Right edge would generally always be the top one for the defense, and thus why the LT(on top of being the blindside protector) was always the most valued tackle. Defenses don't really follow that train of thought anymore, move their rushers all around, etc. Saw it mentioned on twitter how the Colts are seemingly going all out on pass rush/DL as well, so I suppose that factors in to building up OL as well.

Again though, I'm fine with the player/think he'll be a solid tackle..I just don't understand why we created this need for ourselves in the first place and did nothing with the money cutting Kelly created.

We didn't create a need. They drafted a RT in the 1st last year with Kelly on the roster. It obviously was something they looked at to upgrade way, way before they released Kelly.

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

We didn't create a need. They drafted a RT in the 1st last year with Kelly on the roster. It obviously was something they looked at to upgrade way, way before they released Kelly.

Yes, because Kelly wasn't a sure thing at RT. He'd played decently before, but never relied upon as the full time starter for a full schedule. But last year he played extremely well as the full time starter. Decent pass blocking and Henry had a good deal of success running behind him too.

Not to say that I can evaluate fits at RT for our scheme better than the coaching staff, it just seemed bizarre given Kelly graded out as at least a decent RT by anyone you saw talk about him that we'd just cut him.

Maybe he graded out far worse by our coaches.

I don’t mind the player. He’s very lean at this point so not sure if he’d even start at this point but I’m sure he’ll develop into a good player eventually. This issue is, we created this hole and just had a historical season on offense with the likes of Quessenberry and Sambrailo playing LT and Kelly at RT. Lewan returns at LT, Sambrailo is back, Lamm was signed, so I just don’t see the need to take one that high. Drafting one in 4th or at pick 100(Spencer Brown) would’ve been so much better.

it's a fine pick in a vacuum. could end up being a really good player and at a clear position of need. the problem is just that we created a bunch of stupid needs for ourselves with the way we handled free agency so we're still paper thin at WR, TE, and in the front 7.

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Kelly was fine as a run blocker and pass blocking on PA, but he was dog doo doo in obvious passing situations. Absolutely needed to be upgraded. 

Statistics don't really support that, but even if that's the thought, keeping Kelly and also drafting a RT would seem like a far better strategy, keeping Kelly as the swing over Lamm, given we've done nothing with the money we saved from cutting him. But it's whatever I guess.

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I don’t mind the player. He’s very lean at this point so not sure if he’d even start at this point but I’m sure he’ll develop into a good player eventually. This issue is, we created this hole and just had a historical season on offense with the likes of Quessenberry and Sambrailo playing LT and Kelly at RT. Lewan returns at LT, Sambrailo is back, Lamm was signed, so I just don’t see the need to take one that high. Drafting one in 4th or at pick 100(Spencer Brown) would’ve been so much better.

We didn't create the need, it was there before they released Kelly.

Last year's SB champs obviously valued the position enough to spend a top 15 pick on it. I have no idea why we're acting like the 53rd pick for a premier position is a crazy thing to do.

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

it's a fine pick in a vacuum. could end up being a really good player and at a clear position of need. the problem is just that we created a bunch of stupid needs for ourselves with the way we handled free agency so we're still paper thin at WR, TE, and in the front 7.

I suspect Josh Reynolds is expected to replace Davis/be our #2 by the staff/FO, and our "need" at receiver is the #3 option, so I dunno if the team views that as big of a need as some do. TE and front 7 for sure though.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Statistics don't really support that, but even if that's the thought, keeping Kelly and also drafting a RT would seem like a far better strategy, keeping Kelly as the swing over Lamm, given we've done nothing with the money we saved from cutting him. But it's whatever I guess.

100% agree with keeping him as insurance. I just do not see him as a good starter. I'm not sure if any statistics you're mentioning are exclusively drop back passes, no PA, particularly on 3rd and medium or more. 

8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I suspect Josh Reynolds is expected to replace Davis/be our #2 by the staff/FO, and our "need" at receiver is the #3 option, so I dunno if the team views that as big of a need as some do. TE and front 7 for sure though.

i'm sure you're right re: reynolds at WR- i just disagree with their assessment lol.