Round 2: Pick 62; Josh Myers, C Ohio State

On 8/2/2021 at 2:03 PM, Old Guy said:

Right there with you. 

Didn't like the Alexander pick because of our history striking out on short CBs.

Saw the athleticism with Gary and no production. Thought he had bust written all over him.

I will gladly fess up to being wrong on both of those guys. There are others as well.  

I don't follow college enough to act like I would even know what the upsides to our picks are, but you mentioned Alexander. I just gotta say after watching his press conference the other day he is quickly becoming one of my favs. Love the confidence but also being humble and focused. Glad we took him, even if out history wasn't too hot at the time.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 11:48 AM, Joe said:

We're going to have a logjam at Guard regardless. Myers moving to RG would exacerbate the issue TBH. We're so deep along the OL at this point that another selection at IOL would be the biggest head scratcher ever. If we were that enamored with Myers in the first place, then why draft Hanson the year before and why draft Hanson when you have Dezmon Patmon and KJ Hill(a slot WR) on the board?

As for Creed, I actually would've gone Myers over Creed simply due to the size issue and the fact that Creed was a bit overrated. I highly doubt he would've been rated as high of a prospect had he not played for Oklahoma TBH. 

What is your weird obsession with Hanson?  And it's LOLable when you're saying Creed Humphrey wasn't viewed as he was simply because he went to Oklahoma.  Myers went to Ohio State.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

What is your weird obsession with Hanson?  And it's LOLable when you're saying Creed Humphrey wasn't viewed as he was simply because he went to Oklahoma.  Myers went to Ohio State.

Burn?

• 2 months later...

Rookie Offensive Center Watch

GB entered the '21 draft with a hole at C and there were 5 prospects who appeared to have immediate starter potential. Dickenson went first (PHI#37), Myers went next (GB#62) followed immediately by Humphrey (KC#63), then Green (PIT#87) and Meinerz (DEN#98).

The early results are in. According to PFF, Humphrey is far and away the best performer. He's not only the highest graded rookie center, but the highest graded center in the entire league with a lofty 85.2. Myers, Dickenson and Green have all been fairly average at 60.1, 57.8 and 57.4. respectively. Meinerz isn't starting.

Given Dickenson's extensive injury history, Humphrey was the consensus #1 prospect and has validated that ranking with his play to date. Myers has been adequate in both phases and the finger injury has likely negatively impacted his play somewhat. There's lots to like about his game and his future potential but, at this point, it looks like Gute may have passed on a superior player.    

10 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

GB entered the '21 draft with a hole at C and there were 5 prospects who appeared to have immediate starter potential. Dickenson went first (PHI#37), Myers went next (GB#62) followed immediately by Humphrey (KC#63), then Green (PIT#87) and Meinerz (DEN#98).

The early results are in. According to PFF, Humphrey is far and away the best performer. He's not only the highest graded rookie center, but the highest graded center in the entire league with a lofty 85.2. Myers, Dickenson and Green have all been fairly average at 60.1, 57.8 and 57.4. respectively. Meinerz isn't starting.

Given Dickenson's extensive injury history, Humphrey was the consensus #1 prospect and has validated that ranking with his play to date. Myers has been adequate in both phases and the finger injury has likely negatively impacted his play somewhat. There's lots to like about his game and his future potential but, at this point, it looks like Gute may have passed on a superior player.    

Does every team in the NFL run the same blocking scheme?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Additionally, key factors like: "ceiling" and "floor" are paramount to consider if weighing in on rookies with 6 games under their belt.

I'm still trying to figure out why were using PFF grades as the ultimate deciding factor on rookie OL.

• Like 4

I'm fine with PFF as well.  It's something that is at least universal across the board.  So if it is unfair, it is unfair to everyone.

But, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have no issue with Myers.  I'm still not thrilled to have taken a center that high, but he sure filled a hole and has a lot of potential.

I've got no clue about Creed or what he is doing or what his ceiling is.  All I know is that we got what appears to be a good one.

It's times like this that it is important to remember that the Vikings took Bradbury in the first round to play center.  At pick #18.  And he's been close to hot garbage.

They did not take Elgin Jenkins. 

And Myers was taken with 62nd pick in the second round.  

• Like 1

KC offensive line snap counts

Brown LT 100%

Thuney LG 100%

Smith RG 100%

Niang RT 81%

GB snap counts

Jenkins LT 47% (Bahktiari 0%, Nijman 52%)

Runyan LG 85% (Jenkins 0% at LG)

Newman RG 100%

Turner RT 100%

Will be interesting to see how Bahktiari returning and a shifting of Jenkins to LG changes things for Meyers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

KC offensive line snap counts

Brown LT 100%

Thuney LG 100%

Smith RG 100%

Niang RT 81%

GB snap counts

Jenkins LT 47% (Bahktiari 0%, Nijman 52%)

Runyan LG 85% (Jenkins 0% at LG)

Newman RG 100%

Turner RT 100%

Will be interesting to see how Bahktiari returning and a shifting of Jenkins to LG changes things for Meyers.

What happened on the 1% of snaps we didnt plag a LT? Probably explains why Myers score so low. Blocking two dudes at once.

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

What happened on the 1% of snaps we didnt plag a LT? Probably explains why Myers score so low. Blocking two dudes at once.

Thats why he went at #62. 1% of time he is able to block two dudes on any given play. 

7 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Myers 5-1 > Humphrey 3-3

It's a team game. Plus Myers has had more adversity around him.

Just throwing this in there, y’all can decide what it’s worth to you:

Green Bay clearly valued Myers the person as much as the player. If they had him and the Oklahoma center roughly around the same grade, maybe Myers’ personality won out. Not suggesting that the other guy has a bad personality or is anything less than a great guy, but they specifically raved about the future LEADER they saw in Myers. Right or wrong, sometimes you just get a feeling about a guy? Maybe they thought he’d handle the game within the game better? I don’t know. I won’t pretend I have Myers over Humphrey or Dickerson, but I wouldn’t consider it some kind of miss at all.