Round 2: Pick 62; Josh Myers, C Ohio State

6 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

^^^^ this

line could very well end up looking like this and be very imposing:

Bakh------Stepaniak-------Myers------Runyan------Jenkins

In my opinion, that lineup has the highest upside of anything with Turner or Patrick in it.  

I see no way Turner isn’t in the starting 5. He was a very solid RG and played well at RT. It’s just he gets exposed some at LT. it’s a net loss in overall quality moving Jenkins. The gain you may get with Jenkins at RT is less than the loss you get putting Stepaniak at LG. Don’t over think this. The line is basically set from last year. Slide in the rookie and let the best man win at RG. 

• Like 1

IMHO the Packers picked Myers because of his potential versatility. He could play some G if needed. The other centers left when the Packers drafted, not so much. Myers joins Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, and Stepaniak, and the best 3 of the 5 will start. 

Turner kicks out to T. The fact that Gute didn't go for a T during the first two days is good news, because it means Bakh will be back for the start of the season. I'm guessing Gute signs a vet T after the draft for depth. 

It will probably take the first half of the season for this unit to jell, but they will be plenty good by the playoffs!

33 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The fact that Gute didn't go for a T during the first two days is good news, because it means Bakh will be back for the start of the season.

Not necessarily.

It could also mean they intend to start Lucas Patrick at RT - so he can let his man beat him like a drum so he can kick the **** out of AR. That could be too :)

1 hour ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I see no way Turner isn’t in the starting 5. He was a very solid RG and played well at RT. It’s just he gets exposed some at LT. it’s a net loss in overall quality moving Jenkins. The gain you may get with Jenkins at RT is less than the loss you get putting Stepaniak at LG. Don’t over think this. The line is basically set from last year. Slide in the rookie and let the best man win at RG. 

"The line is basically set from last year."  Yup. Hopefully Myers looks good enough to swap right in, and you plug and play. 

Runyan, Nijman, Step remain replacement guys.  Yes, of course they are entitle to compete; and it would be fun if one of them looked good enough to compete for a starting job.  But I'm not sure it's probable that tenured Patrick, who was viewed ahead of Runyan all last season, would get flipped based on camp practices.  

Myers was obviously selected with the intent of being plug-and-play at a specific position of acute need.  So it makes sense to presume he'll start the opener.  

But not every player at the back of round 2 proves to be what the drafting team envisioned.  The Packers have rarely started rookies on opening day.  Some scouting reports reflect some uncertainty about ability.  

So I think there's at least a chance that he might not look that hot in camp, and that he might NOT be the starter from Day 1.  I sure hope he's ready, and I think it's more likely than not that he'll be the starter.  But it's not like it would be astonishing if somebody else was there for game 1.  

20 minutes ago, craig said:

"The line is basically set from last year."  Yup. Hopefully Myers looks good enough to swap right in, and you plug and play. 

Runyan, Nijman, Step remain replacement guys.  Yes, of course they are entitle to compete; and it would be fun if one of them looked good enough to compete for a starting job.  But I'm not sure it's probable that tenured Patrick, who was viewed ahead of Runyan all last season, would get flipped based on camp practices.  

A year two jump from either Runyan or Stepaniak could put Patrick on the bench, or move him to center, if Myers isn't ready to start. Training camp should be competitive!

Other than Runyan's handful of fill-in quarters, the other guys were all variably experienced vets last year.  The non-stop series of injuries resulted in constant flux;  but I think with the vets, that MLF was good with constantly rotating them around to different spots as needed.  That may also have been reinforced because Runyan, Nijman, and the UDFA depth guys were all pretty inexperienced.

A fair chance that will continue to be the plan, as injury necessitates.  Coaches want their best linemen out there. 

But assuming Myers is the center, I wonder if perhaps MLF will want to reduce the shifting?   For 2 reasons. 

1.  Rookie center.  There is much communication going each direction down the line.  I'd think that *IF* Myers had the consistency of the same two guys on each side, it would be easier to lock in and provide the mutual help everybody needs. Constantly changing one or both guards was probably easier for Linsley than for a rookie. 

2. Bench experience.  When Taylor went down last year, Wagner was the only experienced sub.  Runyan, Nijman, Zach Johnson, Ben Braden, these were NOT very experienced guys.  Understandable that if the option was shuffle-experienced-competence versus subbing in inexperienced UDFA, they tended to choose shuffle.

But this round, Nijman, Runyan, and Step (and Johnson and Braden) are all a year more experienced, perhaps better prepared, and perhaps better trusted by coaches.  Possible that this year, they may be less inclined to shuffle, and may find it a bit more acceptable to next-man-up?  

Possible that this year, perhaps Nijman (or Runyan) will be considered acceptable next-man-up for tackle, rather than doing the shuffle?  

In terms of "swing tackle", Jenkins has already done that.  Others have suggested signing a veteran, Veldheer or Wagner or whomever.  But the third option is to just use Nijman (or perhaps Runyan) as the swing tackle.  

Obviously injuries are multiple on o-line, so there will be rotation and opportunities.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, craig said:

From McGinn's stuff:  https://theathletic.com/2534325/2021/04/28/ranking-top-offensive-linemen-in-2021-nfl-draft-bob-mcginns-grades-are-in/

He will be a starter,” one scout said. “The center position is smart, tough, reliable, and he’s all of those things. He’s a solid player across the board. No flash to him, but he’ll be a reliable player.

Underwent turf toe surgery in January.

“He gets knocked back every once in a while, but all in all, he’s a good prospect,” said another scout. “Loves the game of football. Good with his snaps. He’s got size. He’s a technician. He knows how to turn guys.”

Has short arms (32 inches).

Very limited,” a third scout said. “Slow. Not flexible at all. Top heavy. Limited-type backup.

Hope the third scouts is wrong and the first two are closer to the truth!

he did look top-heavy in the clips on ABC last night

my immediate impression was Richie Incognito

• Like 1

If y’all are wondering where he starts, it’s at Guard if Jenkins isn’t playing RT. Jenkins played a ton of Center last year, which would leave either Guard position wide open for competition between Myers, Patrick, Runyan, and Stepaniak.

Dane Brugler guide

STRENGTHS: Passes the eye test with his framework and build…boasts a strong upper body with rude, forceful hands…able to match power for power with his opponent…has the body control to gain positioning, anchor and strike from his hips…moves bodies on down blocks, generating force from his core…efficiently climbs to the second level and transitions well on combos…highly physical run blocker and plays with the demeanor required for NFL trench play…mean, consistent block finisher…his coaches say his intelligence is among the best they’ve seen in Columbus…football lifer and team captain at Ohio State — he was the voice in the middle of the offensive huddle getting guys going…offers roster flexibility at either center or guard.

WEAKNESSES: Tends to play top heavy, leading to him leaning and falling off blocks…can be surprised by quickness and needs to replace/reset his hands more efficiently in pass pro…his lateral agility is only average…makes too much contact with his own blockers when working down the line of scrimmage…his angles on second-level blocks or screen plays have room for improvement…needs to drop his pads more consistently to drive and create displacement…didn’t log any college starts at guard…missed the Senior Bowl due to a turf toe injury (January 2021), requiring surgery. [133]

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Ohio State, Myers was the center in head coach Ryan Day’s offense. He served as a backup guard and center in 2018 before earning the starting center job in 2019, starting 21 games there the last two seasons. Myers is a square, instinctive blocker with the core strength and competitive juices that allow him to consistently finish blocks. A guard in a run-only offense in high school, he is still developing his pass protection skills and will struggle at times vs. quickhanded rushers. Overall, Myers isn’t an elite athlete for the position and needs to cut back on the aggressive leaning, but he brings the desired levels of toughness, smarts and execution. He projects as a starter in the NFL at a guard or center.

GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (No. 63 overall)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I’ll take Incognito any day... without the crazy though

The crazy was what made Incognito viable though. The man lived to flick the piss off his leg into the face of an opposing DL, and threaten to drink their gatorade if they didn't give him their game check. Meh player, HOF bully, terrible human being.

Edited by HyponGrey
  • Like 1