Round 3, Pick 67: QB Davis Mills

Texansfan713

On 8/22/2021 at 7:00 PM, ET80 said:

At this point, I can't definitively say that Mills is better than Jeff Driskel.

So, I watched a bit of that game on Saturday. I actually think Jeff Driskel is better than Davis Mills.

(I'm not saying Driskel is good, mind you).

On 8/26/2021 at 10:38 AM, LORK88 said:

Nothing for us, everything for Culley. No matter how many teams say they'll be patient with a new coach, if they don't see some sort of results or positive signs quickly, they're gone. I'm sure he also doesn't want to lose the locker room by playing the 3rd round rookie right away. 

Having a top 5 QB in Watson ride the pine and then saying anything about the locker room and winning is hypocritical. Either start Watson (if he refuses to play you have the ability to recoup cash and fine him) or you don't care about wins and you start the potential future in Mills and ride it out. Whats the ceiling for Taylor and wins? 8-9 maybe? Who gives a **** about that. I would rather go 0-17 with Mills and really firm up his future and ours then waste a season with Tyrod. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Having a top 5 QB in Watson ride the pine and then saying anything about the locker room and winning is hypocritical. Either start Watson (if he refuses to play you have the ability to recoup cash and fine him) or you don't care about wins and you start the potential future in Mills and ride it out. Whats the ceiling for Taylor and wins? 8-9 maybe? Who gives a **** about that. I would rather go 0-17 with Mills and really firm up his future and ours then waste a season with Tyrod. 

Tyrod will probably get injured anyway judging his history. Mills clearly isn't NFL ready but whatever, it's a wasted season anyway.

18 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Im of a different opinion. If he doesn't want to be here, and you can't get fair value in a trade then let him ride the pine and trade him next offseason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s not a good QB draft. I wouldn’t take any of the QBs top 5 this year. We should get a stud on defense at 1

I like Spencer Rattler a lot. I'd take him over Zach Wilson if they were both in the same draft. He reminds me a lot of Matt Stafford, just very good all around (but not GREAT at anything).

I think Malik Willis compares very similarly to Trey Lance - a mutant at the position, freak-like physical skills both passing and running - but you have to question his consistency and level of competition.

Howell had a bad game, but is still an OK QB - a bit frantic in the pocket, but can create plays with his innate feel for the game. Baker Mayfield is a very good comparison.

I'm not a big fan of Kayvon Thibodeaux - he's a guy who looks better than he is because he's more physically gifted than everyone else; Guys like Chase Young and the Bosa brothers were more refined as pass rushers, had a full set of moves to win at this level. I don't think Thibodeaux has that (but if he shows more technique this season, I can absolutely see him with the pick).

Derek Stingley is probably my most coveted non-QB prospect - I think he's probably the best CB to come out in the last 4-5 years, a physical lockdown CB who can lock down a WR all over the field. I can't justify taking him at 1.1, though - he had a rough year last season, but last season was weird in general.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-biggest-takeaway-2021-nfl-preseason-32-teams#HOU

Davis Mills provided little reason to put him on the field early

The prevailing thought entering this season was that Mills would need to take over at some point so that Houston could get a look at him before making another quarterback decision next offseason. That is still likely the case, but Mills didn’t provide much reason for optimism with his preseason performance.

Highest uncatchable pass rate | 2021 preseason

Player Uncatchable pass rate
Davis Mills 41%
Jake Browning 38%
Kellen Mond 33%
James Morgan 33%
Tim Boyle 33%

His 43.7 passing grade was the third-lowest mark among qualifying quarterbacks, and his 41% uncatchable pass rate led all players at the position.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Mills before he was benched was awful, but the time on the sidelines did him some good. He got to get game action but the game was too fast. He got to step back and see the game from the sidelines for a few weeks and it’s really shown. I think he’s definately the answer at QB…..for next year. Whether he’s the king term answer, idk. We need to win 7-10 games next year for him to be taken seriously but next year isn’t looking like a great draft either so….

• Like 1

Again, I am not trying to make any long term predictions about Mills, but dude was a 3rd rounder, and he's outplayed Zach Wilson and Justin Fields for sure. Trey Lance hasn't played enough to judge. 

I think its a toss up between Mills and Lawrence for the 2nd best rookie QB and I would say advantage to Mills, except for he hasn't played quite as many games. 

In terms of Rookie QBs, he's:

3rd in Yards
1st in Fewest Ints (among guys that have actually played)
2nd in completion percentage
2nd in Rating
3rd in QBR

Its been a decent season from him. Enough that we hopefully don't draft a QB in this weak class, and we focus our attention elsewhere. 

It also appears that 4 wins will be enough to bring back the coaching staff. 

After Mills' performance against the Chargers I absolutely believe he's earnt an opportunity to be our starter going into 2022. It's exciting to think about surrounding Mills with some weapons and improving the offensive line. We might have a QB if he can continue to take care of the football. 

Biggest thing I still want to see from Mills is him go on the road and have a performance like we just saw. His best games have been at home and his worst games have been on the road. It's ok for him to take a little while longer to figure it out on the road but it's still something we're waiting to see from him. 

He's definitely trending in the right direction!

My major concern with Mills is going to be his durability - one of the reason Mills only started 11 games at Stanford is because he was always hurt; I believe he tore an ACL in high school (or college) and had a few setbacks in recovery.

Is he going to make it through a full 17 game season? The talent seems to be there, the trajectory in regards to processing at a high level is there - will the durability be there?