Round 3, Pick 67: QB Davis Mills

Texansfan713

I see Mills as a player who can be as good as he wants to be, and as a player who badly wants to be good. There aren't many quarterbacks, rookie or veteran, who would be able to win games given how ineffective our ground game has been (which almost seems by design in hindsight given the fact that we traded Ingram and that Lindsay never should have made the roster). The few games when Mills had a productive running game he looked really really good. He's even looked good without a running game at times. Just like, imagine.. *Texans release QB Davis Mills* and then *Carolina sign QB Davis Mills* or *Denver signs QB Davis Mills*. If he were on the 9ers he would've probably beaten the Texans with Trey Lance last Sunday. I'm optimistic because I really feel if we can just get t he running game figured out, just being able to run the ball would make Mills, and the defense and the whole team so so much better. 

To be clear, I'm not saying Davis Mills is Tom Brady. I'm aware that's unlikely the case, but it's also entirely possible. I imagine he'll be efficient over the offseason, and that he'll study and that he'll be ready. That being said, I've already identified several late round QBs in this years draft that I think could back him up and potentially serve as developmental starters in the event that Mills turns out to be garbage. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 2:40 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

I would be thrilled. Cousins isn’t gonna win you a championship but he could be a championship QB if you put the right team around him. 

So... what is that right team?

In his career in Minnesota... Kirk Cousins had Stefon Diggs, Adam Theilen, Justin Jefferson, Dalvin Cook, a good OL and a top 15 defense.

Not to get sidetracked, but Cousins had an absolutely stacked deck... and has won nothing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

In his career in Minnesota... Kirk Cousins had Stefon Diggs, Adam Theilen, Justin Jefferson, Dalvin Cook, a good OL and a top 15 defense.

Not to get sidetracked, but Cousins had an absolutely stacked deck... and has won nothing.

Didn’t have coaching for one.

But as I said he’s not gonna go win you a super bowl but he could replace Peyton manning and take home a Super Bowl for the broncos or he could have replaced Russell wilson and won a super bowl with the Seahawks. He’s good enough to not get you beat if you have a great defense. 

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'd put some blame on Cousin's and some on Zimmer. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Didn’t have coaching for one.

I'll half concede this - Cousins had a habit of shrinking when the moment was the biggest. His worst performances came at the worst possible times for Minnesota (this was the case in his Washington tenure, too).

Not saying I wouldn't mind Mills turning into him... Just pointing this out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'll half concede this - Cousins had a habit of shrinking when the moment was the biggest. His worst performances came at the worst possible times for Minnesota (this was the case in his Washington tenure, too).

Not saying I wouldn't mind Mills turning into him... Just pointing this out.

I think in the right system with the right coaches in a good team, you can win with cousins. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t think cousins can overcome obstacles like a Mahomes or Brady can. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m excited about Davis Mills but I feel like nationally people are way over hyping him. He’s not that good, I hope he’s our QB of the future but man people are in love with the guy. 

Yes, holy moly - happened during the season as well:

On 12/30/2021 at 7:32 AM, ET80 said:

So... you guys need to remind me not to read the comments section on Facebook. Seriously, I can't go there again or I risk bursting a blood vessel in my eye/forehead.

***I'm not talking about anyone here, mind you - I just need to vent a bit***

I get it that Texans fans are starved for a light in this darkness, but let's hold off on the anointing oil for Davis Mills. Comparing him to Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner and - yes, I've read this - Tom Brady is the epitome of setting yourself up for heartbreak. There are people thinking Mills is going to win multiple SBs and is already better than Deshaun Watson. No joke, no lie - a QB who lost his first seven starts and once threw 6 consecutive INTs in 7 on 7s in no pads in Training Camp is now a better QB than the 2nd highest paid player in NFL history. So... I guess the transitive property is that if he's better than Watson, he's clearly on the Mahomes/Brady/Rodgers level, right?