3. 66 - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M

SemperFeist

5 hours ago, RpMc said:

In terms of bulk stats, don't forget that we are playing a third place schedule instead of a second place schedule this year.

it all balances out though. not only do teams constantly improve/get worse but we'll also be playing arguably the most competitive divisions in each conference (AFC north and NFC west). 

7 hours ago, RpMc said:

In terms of bulk stats, don't forget that we are playing a third place schedule instead of a second place schedule this year.

Also playing potentially in packed stadiums on the road which must hurt Cousins decision making under pressure more comparatively

So ive watched all of Monds throws from last year and im still having a hard time with the evaluation because he really is so inconsistent. But enough flashes are there to have some optimism going into next year. 

All in all, i still believe not trading up for Fields was a HUGE mistake. I like Mond. But my worry is that MIN invests a couple of years in him and he's not the guy. Im just hoping that MIN knows when to pull the plug on the Mond experiment if its not working. And that it doesnt prevent them from passing up on a possible opportunity in next years draft if one were to come up to select one of the top guys. 

I do think Mond eventually gets his shot at starting for the Vikings. Likely 2022. Im rooting hard for him because he is from (and lives) in my hometown of San Antonio Tx. 😎

8 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Also playing potentially in packed stadiums on the road which must hurt Cousins decision making under pressure more comparatively

Ignoring playing in a potentially packed home stadium backing a defense that will likely lead to more offensive opportunity?

50 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Ignoring playing in a potentially packed home stadium backing a defense that will likely lead to more offensive opportunity?

I think playing in opposing loud stadiums hurts Cousins more then the defense getting a boost in the viking stadium

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I think playing in opposing loud stadiums hurts Cousins more then the defense getting a boost in the viking stadium

I don't think any of the places the Vikings play on the road are necessarily known for being rowdy.  The closest is Baltimore.  And when they play the Chargers, 2/3 of the stadium will probably be filled with Vikings fans.  😂

• Like 1

Its looking more & more like the plan is to trade Cousins next offseason and hand the keys to Mond. (if hes ready)

IF Mond could at least come in and be an average QB/good game manager QB. We could make a serious run in the next few years. As all of that cap space that Kirk would leave behind would be used to stack the roster for a run. The thought of that is really exciting. But it is a very optimistic view of the situation, and possibly not super likely. 

At very least, i think this pick means we wont take a QB in the draft next year or two. Unless this team just completely goes off the rails and has a top 5 pick (highly unlikely). Of course, if Mond comes in and looks like he cant play right off the bat then we very well could be drafting another QB next year. 

One thing im certain of is unless the Vikings win a SB or make a deep playoff run, we are watching the last year or two of Kirk Cousins as a Viking.

Just now, vike daddy said:

whaaaaat???

getting a little ahead of ourselves, are we...?

If you listen to Darren Wolfson on podcasts, it sure sounds like that's a possibility. Also Judd Zulgad echoes some of the same stuff. 

One quote was something like " The WIlf's are about tired of writing big checks for Cousins" and they (The Wilfs) were leading the train of selecting a QB early. 

I mean lets look at this. 1. They arent extending him, if the Vikings dont make a run. Because that would essentially sign them up for more of the same stuff, and after 4 seasons you kind of know was Kirk is capable of giving you. 2. Kirk has a 45 MILLION DOLLAR cap hit next season, and there's no way that the Vikings are going to want to pay that. Trading him only leaves 10 million, so that opens up 35 mil. And with a guy like Mond waiting. So it makes all the sense in the world that Kirk could be on his last season for MIN. Unless they win a SB. The only problem with this theory is that they would need to find a trade partner, because cutting him is not a reasonable option. 

I think we'll find a trade partner that will be willing to give up a 2022 2nd in February 2022.

Wolfson reports are generally very pro team, and he reported that the Wilfs asked Rick to draft a QB early, but gave Rick pergotive on who and how early (but they were not opposed to using a first rounder on QB). Basically, from ownership, they are spelling the end of Cousins soon.

One trade potential trade partner I thought of would be the New York Giants.  They have invested a bunch in their OL, have Saquon plus some nice young talent at WR and Engram, and have an improving defense.

I think Daniel Jones is not the answer and they picked up some extra draft capital in 2022.   I don't think Cousins would cost them a ton so it may just be the right fit.

Denver would seem like a logical fit if they dont get Rodgers. But im not so sure on that one. Paton might love him or he might be thinking the same thing that the Vikings FO is thinking right now. Which is that Kirk probably isnt really worth the money is gets paid & what he will need to get paid moving forward. 

58 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

One trade potential trade partner I thought of would be the New York Giants.  They have invested a bunch in their OL, have Saquon plus some nice young talent at WR and Engram, and have an improving defense.

I think Daniel Jones is not the answer and they picked up some extra draft capital in 2022.   I don't think Cousins would cost them a ton so it may just be the right fit.

The extra gmen draft capital in 2022 is to move up in 2022 to replace Jones if necessary

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

The extra gmen draft capital in 2022 is to move up in 2022 to replace Jones if necessary

Quite possible.   But as of now, the 2022 class looks underwhelming and they may prefer am established veteran despite Cousins' limitations.