3. 66 - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M

SemperFeist

On 5/8/2021 at 11:17 PM, vike daddy said:

whaaaaat???

getting a little ahead of ourselves, are we...?

Not really.

Barring a deep playoff run, or Cousins agreeing to an extension that results in a significant reduction in pay, it’s plausible, if not likely, that 2021 is Cousins’ final season with the Vikings. 

Mond may or may not be the future answer at QB, but he gives the franchise a way out of the QB trap. A trap that so many teams find themselves in. 

• Like 1

I wonder if the Vikings will need to pay some of Cousins' salary as part of the terms of a trade. If so, I wonder how much of it they would have to pay.

Assuming Cousins has another year similar to what a team should expect from him, which is good enough to gather good stats while leading a team to around an 8-9 or 9-8 season, I don't think the team would have to kick in more than $10M of his salary. If Cousins has a really good year they might not have to kick in anything at all, but then would they still really want to trade him?

It would be great of Mond is looking good enough to make a Cousins trade viable. From a trading Cousins perspective it might be the most ideal for the Vikings if Cousins looks good for ~8 games, gets injured, and then Mond takes over and puts Cousins in the rear view mirror. This scenario gives the Vikings the chance to still win the Super Bowl, have a young cheap QB that they have seen play, and leaves Cousins trade value very high.

For any of this to be relevant Mond needs to look good at least in practices and ideally in a few games. I'm rooting for Mond to do just that, and not only because I would love to see the team be able to move on from Kirk Cousins.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 7:53 AM, Cearbhall said:

I wonder if the Vikings will need to pay some of Cousins' salary as part of the terms of a trade. If so, I wonder how much of it they would have to pay.

Assuming Cousins has another year similar to what a team should expect from him, which is good enough to gather good stats while leading a team to around an 8-9 or 9-8 season, I don't think the team would have to kick in more than $10M of his salary. If Cousins has a really good year they might not have to kick in anything at all, but then would they still really want to trade him?

It would be great of Mond is looking good enough to make a Cousins trade viable. From a trading Cousins perspective it might be the most ideal for the Vikings if Cousins looks good for ~8 games, gets injured, and then Mond takes over and puts Cousins in the rear view mirror. This scenario gives the Vikings the chance to still win the Super Bowl, have a young cheap QB that they have seen play, and leaves Cousins trade value very high.

For any of this to be relevant Mond needs to look good at least in practices and ideally in a few games. I'm rooting for Mond to do just that, and not only because I would love to see the team be able to move on from Kirk Cousins.

Very good analysis and a realistic possibility. 

Zimmer: "I think the biggest thing for him right now is learning the process of the plays, getting in the huddle and out of the huddle, calling the different plays and different checks that we have. I want him to be himself. We brought him in here as a talented, athletic quarterback, and I just want him to be himself.

"But the things he can learn from Kirk are the way that he handles the games, the way that he goes about his business in the classroom and on the field, how to work."

https://www.vikings.com/news/presser-points-zimmer-gives-early-evals-on-darrisaw-mond-other-vikings-draft-pic

• Like 1