3. 66 - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M

SemperFeist

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

Not going to lie that looks pretty bad...

It was one throw!!  In OTA's.  I hate quoting Aaron Rodgers but "R-E-L-A-X!"

38 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I know im being harsh and dramatic but thats ONE throw a QB who got drafted into the big leagues should be able to make 100% of the time with no pass rush, no pads and no defenders.

45 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  It is just OTAs of his rookie year.  I thought it was just kinda funny that it was similar to the throw that Tarvaris made one time in the game I attended against the Colts that got us in the crowd so mad that we booed him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, swede700 said:

I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  It is just OTAs of his rookie year.  I thought it was just kinda funny that it was similar to the throw that Tarvaris made one time in the game I attended against the Colts that got us in the crowd so mad that we booed him.

He missed that same exact throw against the Falcons week 1 of 2007.

That Atlanta team was so bad though that we really didn't even need to throw the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Kellen Mond’s father, Kevin, says that the Texans were ready to select Mond with the 67th overall pick in the draft. The Vikings took Mond one pick earlier.

“[There was a] phone call from his agent, text message, and the agent said, ‘Hey, the Houston Texans are getting ready to select [Kellen] at pick 67,'” Kevin Mond said. “So, we’re sitting on the couch and [Kellen] gets the phone call a couple of minutes later and it’s a team. . . . Then, when he hung up the phone, he goes, ‘I’m going to the Vikings.’ The Texans had already told his agent they’re getting ready to take him at pick 67. The Vikings happened to have the pick 66.”

“I think he’s comfortable and he likes the decision,” Kevin Mond said. “He’s thrilled about being in Minnesota. . . . In Houston, he might be rushed into it. [He can] sit back and watch and learn. But he’s a fast learner. He wanted to get away. He wanted to start his own life, his own career and get away and do things away from family and Texas, and A&M is right down the highway. He just wants to start his own journey, and I think that’s good.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/11/texans-were-poised-to-take-kellen-mond-one-spot-after-the-vikings-did/

@ET80

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Kellen Mond’s father, Kevin, says that the Texans were ready to select Mond with the 67th overall pick in the draft. The Vikings took Mond one pick earlier.

There's a conflicting story from Ali Mills (Davis Mills' sister) saying that the Texans called Mills right before Kyle Trask was the last selection in the 2nd round:

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/kellen-mond-vs-davis-mills-which-rookie-qb-houston-texans-nfl-draft

"The Texans actually called him a few picks before, before Trask was called," said Mills' sister Ali Mills. "We knew he was in competition with Trask and Mond. We didn't even care when we heard their names because the Texans had already called Davis."

I think the truth is in the middle: Texans had them both rated equal and knew one of the two would be gone by 67... so they called both. The Texans probably called Trask, too.

Doesn't really matter, whoever was the pick at 67 was doomed from the start...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

come over to the Purple Side... we have snacks.

You're on the short list. We'll keep in touch. 

(Unbeknownst to many, Minnesota was one of my teams in the dark ages between the Oilers leaving and the Texans arriving - I was a huge fan of Warren Moon, and I actually patterned my own game after Cris Carter, a guy who didn't win on speed but won on precision and a fantastic set of hands. Then, you also have the Adrian Peterson angle, and as APeteterson_Texan will tell you, I was a fan. I also liked Randy Moss a ton, one of my favorite players back in the dark ages).

• Like 1