3. 66 - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M

SemperFeist

2020 draft

Jordan Love 1st round 26
Jalen Hurts 2nd round 53

Could argue Mond could have been picked over both of these guys last year, who would you rather have Hurts or Mond?  I would take Mond all day.  Love has more arm talent but Mond has more athletic ability.  

Sean Mannion 3rd round 89  

Was picked well before Mond at 66 but still, rather have Mannion?  A dude that is most likely out of the league right now, he better in the 3rd?

Still Mond fell because most of the QB needy teams got a QB early in the 1st so yeah there was a drop in QBs.  And Washington go Ryan Fitzpatrick and did not want to draft a QB which makes sense, so not that many teams were looking for one.  

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

High likelihood this was a wasted pick given how unlikely QBs succeed in the middle of the draft. But with four third round picks, why not. I don’t want to be tied to Cousins and having a developed option two years from now when they have to do something with Cousins isn’t a bad move.

We took a backup QB with a 3rd rounder.

We took a OT to replace Rieffs production.

A G and DT I don't mind, and a what the hell at LB.

I still struggle to see how any of this moves the needle.

I was not in favor of taking any QB's this year.  But, honestly, I don't hate the Mond pick.  He is very accurate if he can plant his feet, strong arm, and can run and escape pocket pressure.  If he becomes a starter in 2022, I don't think the Vikings are any worse off at QB.

15 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Where's that positivity we saw earlier???

Just now, vike daddy said:

if Trask had still been on the board, would guys have preferred him?

not me.

Tough call, Trask has better touch and is bigger but also has injury issues and is obviously not as mobile.  I like the athletic ability Mond brings and it is a change of pace but say the Bucs took Mond and not Trask I would have been happy with Trask also.  Mills even, any of the three I would be fine with but Mond is the best athlete and that type of escape ability is interesting.  Could totally argue Mond has more upside than say Tarvaris Jackson did as a 2nd rounder.  And to those that did not want a QB in the 3rd, well ever look at that QB room.  One of the least talented in the league, Mond changes that and if he does not turn out who cares he is a 3rd rounder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

if Trask had still been on the board, would guys have preferred him?

not me.

Not a chance. 

For me, the only non 1st round QBs worth a draft pick were Mond and Mills. And when it came to picking between those two, flip a coin. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

would you guys say Mond compares to Culpepper at all?

No, both physically totally different.  Mond could play WR if put there in college, no way Culpepper has that kind of speed.  Culpepper was a massive strong dude but with little hands and fumbled a ton but has a cannon for an arm.  Mond is far more thin, faster with less arm talent but better decision making that has improved ever year.

Would be curious how Culpepper would have been in the NFL of today with the QB run game.  Possibly could have been much better compared to when he played where QBs got absolutely abused physically, now a days guys would have a hard time taking Culpepper down but still he would have the fumbling issues which were massive.  Mond is not as talented overall as Culpepper was though, 

ywV7EP.gif

Was never a huge fan of this move by him, really ruined his career...haha  But yeah an obvious disappointment but a super talent, just the turnovers were a killer with him, damn he fumbled a lot.  82 games played and 81 fumbles?  Hope that is not correct because if so holy **** that is bad!  Career leader in the organizations history.  

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/minnesota-vikings/leaders/career-fumbles-fumbles

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What size hands does he have? 

9.25 I believe

Looking it up Mond did have a fumble issue but he also ran the ball 438 times for 1609 yards and 22 TDs in four years.  10 lost fumbles in four years out of 22 fumbles but did recover some.  So that is not good but is also not a great natural runner in tight spaces, but he needs to flat out stop that issue.  Cousins fumbled and lost it 5 times out of 19 total times fumbling in the last two seasons.  So yeah that is a problem but so was the OL in pass pro causing some of it, and not like Mond was always with amazing offensive lines either.  

Outside of Erick McCoy who is a good player and Dan Moore Jr should be picked in the 4th round of the draft this year, A&M has not had a great OL so there is that that were high level players.

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Where's that positivity we saw earlier???

Hey, it's still 3/5 the 2 being Mond and the LB.

I just don't see how this team has gotten better. I feel like it's still the same team with more questions.

Understanding isn't really positive or negative. Maybe I'm wrong though.

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

Compare us to the rest of our division:

Green Bay's dumpster fire makes Rome's look like a campfire, Chicago traded a King's ransom for a QB marginally better than our 3rd round QB pick, and Detroit is, well, Detroit.

We took an OT who will replace Rieffs pass blocking skills and exceed his run blocking skills at a fraction of the price.  We got a 1st round talent at G who is a massive improvement over what we started at LG last season.  A DE who should immediately (at least) rotate at RDE and was impressively productive in college.  We still have 3 picks in the 4th round to improve depth at S and WR.  What's not to like?