3. 66 - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

from five years ago, in a June...

maybe he came out there on vacation and noticed the mosquitos.

there's always context too, lol.

No idea what it’s about. He wasn’t even 17 yet. 

I’m guessing he was talking smack to Zack Annexstad, a high school teammate, who’s from Minnesota. 

• Like 1
On 5/1/2021 at 7:33 AM, twslhs20 said:

We took a backup QB with a 3rd rounder.

We took a OT to replace Rieffs production.

A G and DT I don't mind, and a what the hell at LB.

I still struggle to see how any of this moves the needle.

Two starting offensive linemen could be a big deal. Beyond that, you probably can’t expect to move the needle with mid-round picks. Sometimes you get lucky though.

If there’s ever a year to take a QB in the 3rd round, it’s the year you have 4 3rd round picks.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m guessing he was talking smack to Zack Annexstad, a high school teammate, who’s from Minnesota. 

Great point, my guess it was exactly that.  Never knew they were teammates but I guess yeah at IMG.  Very interesting, honestly Zack Annexstad is arguably the main reason Faalele and Dunlap came to the University of Minnesota.  So even if he never gets back in as their starting QB he is a massive reason for the teams success.

Not concerned about players twitter that much, so even if a dude deletes old tweets they are still out there?  Bet a lot of prospects are going over their social media stuff right now.  

The LSU game worries me, i think that's his worst game from last year. Watched every throw and he was just inaccurate mostly, with some throws sailing on him. Although he didnt get much help.

I think at worst he's a decent backup QB. At best i think he can be a starter. But sitting and learning for a year should be huge for him. Some people may think its crazy, but if he impresses i could see him starting in 2022-23 season. There's no way Kirk is back at 45 mil next year unless he leads MIN deep into the playoffs. So i think there's a chance, and i dont see another extension for Cousins unless he does some big things this season.

Ive seen so many comp him to Kaep. And there is some fairness to that. But i think Kaep (as a prospect) was more athletic & had a stronger arm. Looking back watching some of Kaep, man he had an absolute cannon. I think Mond's arm is really good, plenty strong and better than average as far as velocity. But not on Kaep's level. I do think Mond has better overall mechanics & footwork though. He is a little stiff and sometimes has some footwork issues at the end of his drop, but i think his issues are coachable.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:00 AM, dc_vikingfan said:

I could also. Sean is well like by Kirk and Klint. Spoken highly about the info he relays to Kirk and could be a mentor to Mond in year 1 

Hire Mannion as an assistant QB coach.  Don't waste a roster spot on him.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2021 at 4:23 AM, SteelKing728 said:

He doesn't turn 22 until next month, making him almost exactly 7 years younger than me.😜

He's about 53 years younger than I am.  But who's counting?  (And he's got a better arm, and better legs.  😜

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

The LSU game worries me, i think that's his worst game from last year. Watched every throw and he was just inaccurate mostly, with some throws sailing on him. Although he didnt get much help.

I think at worst he's a decent backup QB. At best i think he can be a starter. But sitting and learning for a year should be huge for him. Some people may think its crazy, but if he impresses i could see him starting in 2022-23 season. There's no way Kirk is back at 45 mil next year unless he leads MIN deep into the playoffs. So i think there's a chance, and i dont see another extension for Cousins unless he does some big things this season.

Ive seen so many comp him to Kaep. And there is some fairness to that. But i think Kaep (as a prospect) was more athletic & had a stronger arm. Looking back watching some of Kaep, man he had an absolute cannon. I think Mond's arm is really good, plenty strong and better than average as far as velocity. But not on Kaep's level. I do think Mond has better overall mechanics & footwork though. He is a little stiff and sometimes has some footwork issues at the end of his drop, but i think his issues are coachable.

For us to roll with Mond as opening day starter in 2022-2023, I'm guessing he is going to need to get multiple starts this season somehow.  Either through a Cousins injury or through Cousins being hooked in another down season

Some Kellon Mond comps from when I watch him:

Ryan Tannehill, Sam Bradford (just the throwing mechanics), and Marcus Mariota (i think better arm talent and more inclined to stay in the pocket than Mariota).

I'm a fan. I think he has startable traits and I love that he's already pretty money in the intermediate with NFL throws. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Well, now Annexstad can talk smack back to him.  😂

8 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Hire Mannion as an assistant QB coach.  Don't waste a roster spot on him.

Mannion should have been hired as an assistant QB coach 2 years ago instead of wasting a roster spot on him the entire time, considering that's all he was brought in for.  

• Like 1
On 5/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, joru1000 said:

Would give the pick a C+. 

We need some more energy at the QB position. He was a multi-year starter who showed improvement every year. Having said that I have no expectation that he will be our starting QB in 4 years.

What do you mean by energy?