3. 66 - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M

cousins doesn't strike me as the type of guy to expect anything, he's earned pretty much everything he's gotten in the league.

and hey, if it lights a fire under him and makes him churn out an MVP season like it did with rodgers last year then drafting mond was well worth it. 

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

For every pick that doesn't work out, there's always a legit starter at another position that could have been taken. Hell, even with Mr. Irrelevant, there's always an undrafted guy who becomes a starter. Your argument would be the same if they took a DE at that spot who didn't work out. 

Except the DB or DE or WR is more likely to work... And, I was merely pointing out that him not working wasn't the worst case outcome, nothing more or less than that. 

11 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Anyone think this pick just tanks Cousins' confidence ala Wentz?

If it does, then he has no business being a starting QB.  He's done enough in this league to have confidence that he's the guy for the next year or 2.  

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If it does, then he has no business being a starting QB.  He's done enough in this league to have confidence that he's the guy for the next year or 2.  

Yup. Cousins was a 4th round pick himself backing up a highly touted QB. He knows the deal. I’d bet he takes it better than most would. 

17 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

The amount of capital is not really relevant.....just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you should spend it unwisely.....and, we'll just disagree on the first sentence. His odds are extremely long, extremely. Whereas the odds of a legit contributor at other positions are decent. 

Relatively speaking odds are low, but there are mid-round success stories every 2-3 seasons on average. It does seem as if you're exaggerating the point a bit. In the last 10 season you've had Wilson and Foles win Super Bowls, Cousins and Prescott are long term starters, Brissett and Minshew have had solid statistical seasons as starters.  It's not exactly a 1 in a million shot.  There are several legitimate success stories.

• Like 1

If anything, between the Trask, Mond, Mills picks, I like Mond the best. 

Trask doesn't have the athleticism for my liking, Mills is too green and I don't think his arm is all that special. I think Mond has the best chance to be "something" between those 3 even if that chance is still on the low end. 

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yup. Cousins was a 4th round pick himself backing up a highly touted QB. He knows the deal. I’d bet he takes it better than most would. 

Where is that highly touted QB at now? That’s right, running his mouth about Cousins, yet I’m pretty sure Cousins is still getting paid and has way better stats then he ever had.

Cousins will be just fine and he will probably help Mond in anyway he can..

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m willing to bet that Cousins reaction to the Vikings drafting a quarterback is a lot better than Aaron Rodgers’. 

It would HAVE to be.  I can't imagine what a QB would have to do to have a worse reaction than Rodgers', other than literally murdering the rookie.  Hey!  That's a great idea for a detective mini-series! 🤣

Edited by Robb_K
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't see any hint at any resentment here...

Yup. Kirk is a professional. He's scrapped to get where he is and understands (probably better than most) that it's a results-driven league. I don't think drafting a QB in the third round phases him even a little. 

cousins is a professional, but he has to know that the vikings tried to trade up to grab justin fields as well. he can probably sense that he won't get another contract with us.

Posted (edited)

Unlike Rodgers, Kirk contract is guaranteed for 35mil and 45 next year. It should be easier for him not to crumble about Mond pick at least for 2021. Rick/Zim is not going to bench him this year especially with them going all in this offseason. Also, Kirk is a professional and knows barring injury he will get another chance in 2023 with a new team.    

Edited by dc_vikingfan

so... here's the video of Chris Simms' QB rankings going into the draft (Mond @ 22:53, Fields right after):

Why it's notable: Chris Simms used to play QB and has been incredibly accurate in recent drafts when ranking QBs (last year put Herbert over Tua, ranked Mahomes first, Watson second, Trubisky third, had Lamar Jackson over Josh Allen over Baker Mayfield, etc.). He also doesn't care about what popular opinion, as evidenced with him ranking Zach Wilson first this year over Trevor Lawrence.

If Simms is at least partially right then we not only got an above average backup QB but also someone who has more of a chance to take over as QBOTF than most initially assumed.

• Like 1