Round 3, Pick 74: Washington selects CB Benjamin St-Juste, Minnesota

Sounds like as a young corner & our #4 or 5 he’ll be a great special teams player.This is what NFL.com had to say about St. Juste:

He's a brute at the catch point, tilting contested catches in his favor, and he has some excellent tape as a tackler who finishes what he starts with form and strength. Finding the proper scheme fit will be important and a move to safety is a possibility. A team could see a noticeable improvement in his play within the first two years, but he's a developmental prospect with good upside at this juncture.
Strengths
  • Elite size and length for the outside.
  • Has potential for great physical challenges from press.
  • Experienced in a variety of coverage schemes.
  • Quick to close and tackle on first- and second-level catches.
  • Forceful closing through the catch point.
  • Tilts jump-ball odds in his favor with physical traits.
  • Length played major role in swatting passes in 2019.
  • Makes tackles on a consistent basis.
  • Centers up, runs and wraps through his target.
  • Plays off blocks and seals the edge.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/benjamin-st-juste/32005354-4a61-5310-ff81-e57e99306a29

Edited by turtle28

I think about Mike Evans and taller WR’s torching this team on jump balls last year we have smaller twitch guys and I’m sure this is William Jackson insurance. We have two quick press man guys and we have Fuller and Jimmy Mo for the smaller twitch guys. We have a solid mix. For a guy his size he opens and swings his hips well instead of most lanky CB’s who chop their feet and swing their shoulders over hard to turn and run.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, noptov52 said:

In this day and age, a third CB is basically a starter and we didn't get enough out of that spot.  Decent pick, even if the combo of Brown & Tremble would have enticed me more.

Absolutely.  After our top 3 CBs our CB depth is mediocre at best.  CB was a need IMO and this guy gives us a prospect there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Absolutely.  After our top 3 CBs our CB depth is mediocre at best.  CB was a need IMO and this guy gives us a prospect there.

This one was a bit more of a head scratcher to me. My initial response was anger, mainly because of passing on the TE combined with other corners being ranked higher on the board. I've mellowed a bit after hearing from @Umbaugh21 and @e16bball, but this still feels like a missed opportunity. Others have speculated that maybe he'll end up moving to safety to give us that over the top coverage. Again, there were other pure safeties up there as well.

I dunno about this one. This doesn't give me the sheer anger that the Troy Apke pick did a few years back, but it is definitely closer to that then the Brown pick 8 picks later.

6 hours ago, Woz said:

This one was a bit more of a head scratcher to me. My initial response was anger, mainly because of passing on the TE combined with other corners being ranked higher on the board. I've mellowed a bit after hearing from @Umbaugh21 and @e16bball, but this still feels like a missed opportunity. Others have speculated that maybe he'll end up moving to safety to give us that over the top coverage. Again, there were other pure safeties up there as well.

I dunno about this one. This doesn't give me the sheer anger that the Troy Apke pick did a few years back, but it is definitely closer to that then the Brown pick 8 picks later.

I think he stays at CB.

Love this pick because if at worse he doesn't work out as CB he certainly can play FS.  I know a lot of people are disappointed for not moving up to pick one of the "premier" QBs but overall I love this draft.  Davis to me was a hell of a pick because of his speed behind that monster line.  He didn't have that type of line in college and he excelled.  With the boys upfront being this good, he will grow to understanding the game and will be stellar IMO.

• Like 2

My least favorite pick for when we took him but, he’s athletic has size and has potential. Have to view him as Moreau’s replacement and mainly a special teams guy as a young player w/ good potential. Hopefully he develops into William Jackson’s eventual replacement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twincities.com/2021/04/01/gophers-rashod-bateman-shows-speed-benjamin-st-juste-agility-at-pro-day-workout/amp/

“At 6-foot-3 and 202 pounds, Gophers cornerback Benjamin St-Juste came into the Pro Day with questions about his quickness and agility, making his shuttle and three-cone drill times the most-important numbers of his workout.

The Gophers said he ran a 3.96-second time in the shuttle and a 6.63 time in the three-cone. Those handheld times would have been the fastest of any participant at the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine. 

“It felt fast, and it looked quick,” St-Juste said. “That was a big question for me as a tall corner. Can he move? Can he be quick?” 

St-Juste also was timed at 4.51 in the 40-yard dash, the U said.“

NFL.Com’s comp for him is Trey Flowers. If he can develop into that he’ll be a #2 or 3 corner when William Jackson is gone.

I don’t know how good he is or will be, but CB was most certainly a need. Teams always need young, athletic CBs in the pipeline.

I expect our secondary to be much improved. A lot of talent and competition in the DB room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I don’t know how good he is or will be, but CB was most certainly a need. Teams always need young, athletic CBs in the pipeline.

I expect our secondary to be much improved. A lot of talent and competition in the DB room.

At worst he’s just a special teams guy mostly like Fabian Moreau. I’m hoping he can develop into a starter but if all he ever becomes is a special teams guy & #4 I can live with that. I’m also interested to see if he can offer anything as a FS, he’s got position flexibility and he’s got the size for it. It won’t be immediately but I don’t think that’s out of the realm of possibilities that eventually he’s our FS.

Round 3, pick 74 – Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota: C

I think we drafted him to play corner, and he'll have the size to be a physical presence with some of these bigger WRs in the league. But that said, that's the most he seems to bring to the table. He does nothing else exceptionally well, and we're missing a nickel imo - something I think he won't be. That said, bump him outside and let Fuller move in, and maybe it works. 

15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Round 3, pick 74 – Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota: C

I think we drafted him to play corner, and he'll have the size to be a physical presence with some of these bigger WRs in the league. But that said, that's the most he seems to bring to the table. He does nothing else exceptionally well, and we're missing a nickel imo - something I think he won't be. That said, bump him outside and let Fuller move in, and maybe it works. 

I think they’re really trying to make Moreland the slot guy and Daryl Roberts is a slot corner. I don’t think they move Fuller off of covering an opposing teams #1 or 2 WR when the opposing team goes 3 wide so, I don’t think Fuller is going to be moving to the slot. He didn’t last year, not sure why they’d do it this year.

I think St. Juste is going to be a special teams guy & outside corner. The FS thought could be years down the line if he doesn’t have success at corner - like I still wish we had done with David Amerson. He tackles like a safety from what I can see on his high lights & closes well like a FS would.