Round 3, Pick 74: Washington selects CB Benjamin St-Juste, Minnesota

7 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

He played safety in the Senior Bowl.

[Gallery] Star Trek Facts That Fans Can't Stand

If they drafted him based on what he did for a couple days during the senior bowl, then I will be concerned.  I don't think he has any real experience working in the zone.  He is a big press man corner and can play.  If there is scheme fit then the pick looks pretty good.  But I was under the impression Del Rio kept forcing our current corners to play zone and they were better suited to press.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

If they drafted him based on what he did for a couple days during the senior bowl, then I will be concerned.  I don't think he has any real experience working in the zone.  He is a big press man corner and can play.  If there is scheme fit then the pick looks pretty good.  But I was under the impression Del Rio kept forcing our current corners to play zone and they were better suited to press.  

I think it’s all to be determined. He does some things even as a corner that you’d like to see out of a safety. Comes up and breaks well on the ball, dislodges the ball with his hands or on hits, he has safety size but I think he starts his career at CB especially given he was a college CB and our depth is better at S than CB currently.

I hear the bolded every year - like literally for 17 plus years on this forum - and I’ve never really found any truth in it. Also, if a corner can’t play zone well then that’s a major issue, like why are they even in the league? I think this blown out of proportion.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think it’s all to be determined. He does some things even as a corner that you’d like to see out of a safety. Comes up and breaks well on the ball, dislodges the ball with his hands or on hits, he has safety size but I think he starts his career at CB especially given he was a college CB and our depth is better at S than CB currently.

I hear the bolded every year - like literally for 17 plus years on this forum - and I’ve never really found any truth in it. Also, if a corner can’t play zone well then that’s a major issue, like why are they even in the league? I think this blown out of proportion.

I don't see it that way.  Some of the best corners in the history of football are press man corners.   Mirroring vs playing zone and reading the play and qb and working the angles are very different skills.  Players rarely master both.  

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't see it that way.  Some of the best corners in the history of football are press man corners.   Mirroring vs playing zone and reading the play and qb and working the angles are very different skills.  Players rarely master both.  

Yes but they can and should be able to do both. We shouldn’t be changing our whole D scheme for a few players, they have to know their assignments and execute them.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:08 AM, MikeT14 said:

Round 3, pick 74 – Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota: C

I think we drafted him to play corner, and he'll have the size to be a physical presence with some of these bigger WRs in the league. But that said, that's the most he seems to bring to the table. He does nothing else exceptionally well, and we're missing a nickel imo - something I think he won't be. That said, bump him outside and let Fuller move in, and maybe it works. 

More than likely, Moreland is in the slot, of maybe even Fuller moves over to safety.  With St-Juste's size and athleticism, you try him out until the wheels fall off at CB.  

29 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Oh boy! Should be interesting. I hope he can still do it and I sure hope he plays better then last year. If Collins is going to be starting SS, I sure hope Curl can play FA well enough. It’s a downgrade in coverage going from Collins do Curl for sure if Curl is then going to hit the bench.

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

More than likely, Moreland is in the slot, of maybe even Fuller moves over to safety.  With St-Juste's size and athleticism, you try him out until the wheels fall off at CB.  

They didn’t move Fuller around a lot last year, I can’t see them doing it this year unless we have injuries and he’s forced to.

Just now, turtle28 said:

They didn’t move Fuller around a lot last year, I can’t see them doing it this year unless we have injuries and he’s forced to.

Really depends on how some guys develop, and if they do anything at FS the rest of the way.  FS has the potential to be a huge hole.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I guess they plan on having a top paid safety get beat out for his job by a sixth round pick making entry-level money.  The last great failure of Bruce Allen. 

I don’t think we can just rule out Collins having a rebound. Yes he played poorly on a lot of plays before the Dallas game - as did most of the defense - but he was having a good game vs Dallas before his injury.

I think Curl could play FS. Didn’t he play that some in college & didn’t they have him playing/learning FS last August?

I remember him being listed as Apke’s back up at FS to start the season. Yeah, after we cut Sean Davis Curl became Apke’s back up in the beginning of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think we can just rule out Collins having a rebound. Yes he played poorly on a lot of plays before the Dallas game - as did most of the defense - but he was having a good game vs Dallas before his injury.

I think Curl could play FS. Didn’t he play that some in college & didn’t they have him playing/learning FS last August?

I remember him being listed as Apke’s back up at FS to start the season. Yeah, after we cut Sean Davis Curl became Apke’s back up in the beginning of the season.

It might expose his lack of speed/range but it would be worth a shot if we can't find anything else.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Really depends on how some guys develop, and if they do anything at FS the rest of the way.  FS has the potential to be a huge hole.  

Curl may be able to play FS. As I responded on your other post when they cut Sean Davis last year, Curl became Apke’s back up at FS for the first month of the year.