🏈 Pick #79 is in: DE, Malcolm Koonce, Buffalo

Koonce’s measurables are very similar to Bruce Irvin coming out of West Virginia, and I believe Irvin was a Gus Bradley pick during his last year as Seattle’s DC. Irvin was also 24 when he was drafted. 

I think Gus sees a lot of the same traits in Koonce, although Irvin played against better competition in the Big East. 

I won't sit here and pretend to know a ton about Koonce. I don't personally catch a lot of Buffalo games lol.

I will say though that watching the highlights it's readily apparent that he is explosive, has fantastic bend around the edge, and has a proven knack for getting after the QB. Will that translate to the NFL level with a huge jump in competition? It remains to be seen. 

Year one he is a designated pass rusher that can be used as a DE in obvious pass rushing situations and can be used standing up to cause confusion and to rush from there. 

You can never, ever have enough big, strong, super athletic guys to rush the passer in the NFL. So while I don't know a lot about him as a prospect specifically, I like the idea. I do worry that he could have been had a little later, but I can see the argument he has as much upside as any EDGE player we were getting at this pick. 

"Koonce has 33 ⅜-inch arms along with an 81-inch wingspan — two inches longer than Pittsburgh Steelers star T.J. Watt, who measured in with a 79-inch wingspan in 2017.

Myles Garrett, the first overall selection in the 2017 Draft, has an 82-inch wingspan. The combination of big arms and a long reach allows Koonce to attack offensive linemen with his length and wreak havoc in the backfield."

Dude is fast, long and has a variety of moves already surprisingly. Get him stronger and we may have another potential Mad Maxx.

37 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This was the main thing I needed to see to convince me. What did he do against Real competition. This guy looks like if you put him in the weight room for a year and he comes back two years from now he’s gonna be a Baller

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 9:13 AM, Jeremy408 said:

This was the main thing I needed to see to convince me. What did he do against Real competition. This guy looks like if you put him in the weight room for a year and he comes back two years from now he’s gonna be a Baller

All he needs to do is start rushing the passer a bit. We don't need a starter, just a devy guy with some upside. He can't really play the run right now, but thankfully he seems to have the athleticism, moves, and some production too.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

All he needs to do is start rushing the passer a bit. We don't need a starter, just a devy guy with some upside. He can't really play the run right now, but thankfully he seems to have the athleticism, moves, and some production too.

We basically needed a situationally rusher. We don’t need an every down player Who stout at the point of attack(which is supposed to be the negative on him)

• Like 2