🏈 Pick #79 is in: DE, Malcolm Koonce, Buffalo

I'm willing to give Rod the benefit of the doubt for last year. He has a great track record and one covid riddled season shouldn't make us completely give up. 

Maxx had alcohol issues, Ferrell was on and off hurt, our interior lacked talent and our secondary didn't offer much help either. 

If he sucks again I'm all for him getting canned next year and Bradley bringing in his own guy 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm willing to give Rod the benefit of the doubt for last year. He has a great track record and one covid riddled season shouldn't make us completely give up. 

Maxx had alcohol issues, Ferrell was on and off hurt, our interior lacked talent and our secondary didn't offer much help either. 

If he sucks again I'm all for him getting canned next year and Bradley bringing in his own guy 

Max Celebrated 1 year sober MArch 17th, so It wouldnt have effected him last year. 

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Max Celebrated 1 year sober MArch 17th, so It wouldnt have effected him last year. 

Interesting. I thought he mentioned that as a reason he didn't think he performed well. I'll have to go back and see what he said. 

Regardless I've been hard on Maxx recently and said he should be nothing more than a rotational rusher right now. Yannick and Ferrell on the edge with Maxx and Koonce rotating in on rushing downs. Not horrible. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Koonce is just a poor man's Arden Key

Change my mind 

he looks like he has more burst than Key. doesn't have Key's length, and definitely not the same pedigree. Key at the NFL level provided literally nothing, so it wouldnt be a high bar to clear

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Maxx had injury issues.  I believe he had surgery right after the season ended.  I'm not counting out a day 3 pick with 17 sacks in his first two seasons.  The guy is a home run hit no matter how you look at it.  That kind of production leads his class from what I can recall.  Maxx is my favorite pick from that draft along with Renfrow.  Moreau is my third and I think he needs more playing time.  Jacobs is 4th due to where he was drafted and his drop in YPC after last season.  Those 4 IMO made that a solid draft.

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Interesting. I thought he mentioned that as a reason he didn't think he performed well. I'll have to go back and see what he said. 

Regardless I've been hard on Maxx recently and said he should be nothing more than a rotational rusher right now. Yannick and Ferrell on the edge with Maxx and Koonce rotating in on rushing downs. Not horrible. 

Not just that. He was injured for most of the year. I looked into it. Was pretty gnarly stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a huge year across from Yannick this year. I think Nassib will factor in quite a bit as as base end on run downs. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Koonce is just a poor man's Arden Key

Change my mind 

Key was out of football for a year and had horrible testing numbers leading into the draft. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Key lacked the burst/bend. He had 3 years to do something, and didn't do much.. IDK about Koonce, but next man up. I trust Bradley judgement over Paul. 

I think the biggest issues with Key were that he lacked the burst/bend to be an explosive power rusher but also lacked the power to win with strength. Koonce seems to be a twitchy, bendy guy that can win with strength, length or speed off the edge. He also seems to have a pretty good arsenal of pass rushing moves from the little bit of film that I've seen from him. DJ and Mayock both compared him to Yannick interestingly enough. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the biggest issues with Key were that he lacked the burst/bend to be an explosive power rusher but also lacked the power to win with strength. Koonce seems to be a twitchy, bendy guy that can win with strength, length or speed off the edge. He also seems to have a pretty good arsenal of pass rushing moves from the little bit of film that I've seen from him. DJ and Mayock both compared him to Yannick interestingly enough. 

To me the best part about Koonce is that he'll get to sit for a year while he practices and gains muscle

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Key was plenty bendy enough IMO. I feel it was more his burst and converting speed into power. He was easily just guided away from the QB. And when he got nearby, he just couldn’t finish.

Koonce is an impossible projection. There is no way of knowing if the moves he successfully used at Buffalo are transferable to a higher level. His physical and technical traits look great against his opponents in college - but we won’t know whether he can do it until he plays against pros.

I like picks like this. Try and bring in some guys that have shown they can make plays and have traits. This defense needs playmakers so to get them, you have to take some risks

• Like 1