Round 3, Pick 82: Washington selects WR Dyami Brown, North Carolina

5 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Mark does a really good job with this stuff. I wish he would toss in a couple more video examples of what he’s discussing — you could make the case that Rod Gardner had good hands if you just used a couple plays to illustrate your point — but he does usually have a good grasp on the finer points of a guy’s technique. 

Dyami is a guy who grew on me throughout the process. I was actually more of a Dazz guy coming into the season (my affinity for slot guys is the stuff of legend at this point), but I think you see a fluidity and body control with Dyami that speaks to a really gifted, balanced athlete. And when you couple that with what seems to be a pretty detailed approach to route running, that’s when you get into the...

58eanl.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I’m excited to see deuce out there doing his thing this year. I just see him lined up beside Terry or Curtis doing high low crosses and inside out stop go routes this combo of weapons should be exciting.

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Mark does a really good job with this stuff. I wish he would toss in a couple more video examples of what he’s discussing — you could make the case that Rod Gardner had good hands if you just used a couple plays to illustrate your point — but he does usually have a good grasp on the finer points of a guy’s technique. 

Dyami is a guy who grew on me throughout the process. I was actually more of a Dazz guy coming into the season (my affinity for slot guys is the stuff of legend at this point), but I think you see a fluidity and body control with Dyami that speaks to a really gifted, balanced athlete. And when you couple that with what seems to be a pretty detailed approach to route running, that’s when you get into the...

58eanl.jpg

I did the same thing E. It almost reminds me of the Terry Paris Campbell situation. Of course Paris has struggled staying on the field but Deuce grew on me as well when I was going back and rewatching the games doing individual highlights I do for my notes. Watching the games for a second time is really where I get my scouting notes in because you focus on a different player and not watching the ball and keying in on  what a guy does play in and play out. Deuce is someone I’m very excited to see going forward

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Terry, Curtis, Dyami, Adam, Cam, Gibson, Logan, John (2 TE sets)

Cant say we don’t have enough weapons  

DeAndre Carter, Steve, Dax, AGG, Kelvin, Tony Brown, Isaiah Wright

Can’t blame our passing game struggles on Haskins this year either. Rivera will have to find another excuse if our passing game sputters.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:42 AM, Woz said:

They definitely are looking for speed these days. Of the picks, this is the first one that I can think of that I instinctively was like "okay, yeah I'm on board with that" right out of the gate. The others I've had to warm up to to varying degrees.

As I said in the chat, this is has the potential to be a job ending draft. Or it could be a foundational level draft. Not sure yet. I haven't really been excited by any of the picks, but I can see the logic behind them.

Great analysis as always.  Home run speed.  Gotta develop him the rest of the way.  Given what they did with Gibson, they deserve the benefit of the doubt right now but you are right, it's a make or break draft based on development.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 12:56 PM, ripsean21 said:

I love this pick. I think we have 3 guys at the top of the WR position that do the same things. Terry Mac Samuel and Brown all have very similar game and I love it. Because teams usually have a mix of body types so I think somewhere we have a mismatch and they all can move around and go up and pluck a ball out the air. Super crisp routes and smart feels for zones. I think for everything Fitzmagic is this is by far the best squad he’s had a chance of leading. We shall see this year

Some good speed that is for sure.  The OL is going to make or break things, as well as the OC learning the intricacies of calling plays.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 8:11 PM, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I think Gibson has a chance to be Clinton Portis like but be an even better receiver bc he used to be a receiver. He has to get more consistent as a runner and of course improve his pass pro blocking if he wants to be like CP. CP is one of the best pass pro backs I’ve ever seen, he may actually be the best I’ve ever seen.

Well, the thing Gibson has going for him is that this team wants to use his speed.  They aren't trying to work him like John Riggins like Gibbs did with Portis.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Well, the thing Gibson has going for him is that this team wants to use his speed.  They aren't trying to work him like John Riggins like Gibbs did with Portis.  

Yeah I think most of us hated that Gibbs used Portis similar to Riggins. When we traded for Portis he was more of a home run hitter, we ran him into the ground and by 2007 he was no longer a home run hitter anymore and in 2009 he was done.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah I think most of us hated that Gibbs used Portis similar to Riggins. When we traded for Portis he was more of a home run hitter, we ran him into the ground and by 2007 he was no longer a home run hitter anymore and in 2009 he was done.

Yeah it sucked because Portia still was amazing but he really could have been a great player in the zone scheme his whole career. It wasn’t so much the touches for me it was the style use. And he had to put on so much weight he lost most of the things that made him special.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Yeah it sucked because Portia still was amazing but he really could have been a great player in the zone scheme his whole career. It wasn’t so much the touches for me it was the style use. And he had to put on so much weight he lost most of the things that made him special.

Yeah, imagine Mike Shanahan & a player not agreeing on how they’re being used & the player wanting a new contract and then Shanahan trading that player away instead of re-signing him. Seemed to happen every year he had final say of football operations in Denver & DC.

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Heck of a catch to finish out that video. These videos I think speak volumes to Howells accuracy. But also I think that’s about what he has arm wise.

It also speaks to how much he’s probably going to miss Dyami Brown.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1