Round 3: Pick 85; Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

We have to decide as a sub forum to use better or worse pick.

Higher can mean two different things.

Higher in order, higher in number.

10th overall is higher than 9th.

9th overall is higher than 10th.

10th overall is worse than 9th.

9th overall is better than 10th.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I've finally come around to your view of Aaron Rodgers. He has entered full diva-hood. I think it all started years ago when he started publicly commenting on other players. I was shocked. McCarthy should have corked his mouth back then, but didn't. Eventually, Rodgers ignored MM and audible to the plays he wanted. Now MM is gone and Rodgers is trying to run the front office. Best outcome here would be for Rodgers to retire and pay back the Packers about 20 million he would owe them, then host Jeopardy for the next 30 years. That would really help the cap. Team morale is going to be a mess if he shows up for training camp.

Eat the cap and take the three first round draft picks.

We have an offensive line, Aaron Jones, AJ Dillon, Davante Adam’s, MVS and now Rodgers.  That’s more firepower for a young QB and more protection than any young QB could dream of.  No

Six first round picks over the next three years with the youth and potential we have on defense is a virtually guaranteed Super Bowl win if Jordan Love is even Ryan Tannehill with the Dolphins good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Eat the cap and take the three first round draft picks.

We have an offensive line, Aaron Jones, AJ Dillon, Davante Adam’s, MVS and now Rodgers.  That’s more firepower for a young QB and more protection than any young QB could dream of.  No

Six first round picks over the next three years with the youth and potential we have on defense is a virtually guaranteed Super Bowl win if Jordan Love is even Ryan Tannehill with the Dolphins good.

I could go along with that, since the first year under Love will be a learning year for him. I doubt anybody would give up three first round picks though. 

I would love for the Packers to grab Marquez Stevenson to go along with Rodgers. They will give defenses fits with the speed they have. Rodgers plays much faster than his 40 time, I want another short explosive guy like Stevenson to compliment him. He's got T. Hill type speed, we'll have KC type speed on offense 

1 hour ago, Chili said:

If we "overpaid" by offering a 4th rounder to trade up then why did we offer our higher 4th rounder instead of our lower 4th rounder?

Using Draft Tek trade chart, the value of the Titans 3rd round pick was 165. The value of our 3rd round pick was 132.

We used our high 4th rounder giving a total value 170.5. Using the lower 4th rounder gave the total of 167 which would've been much closer to the value of the Titans 3rd round pick and would've resulted in a much more balanced trade.

Maybe GB offered the later 4th and TEN said no.  The other needs to want to move down also.  

1 hour ago, Chili said:

The consequence of giving away the higher pick instead of the lower pick is a 7 picks difference so we are going to miss out on 7 players to choose from unless we package a 5th rounder with our low 4th to move up in the draft. We can reach as high as pick #120, a full 15 players jump ahead of our previous high 4th round pick. I can totally see this happening today.

Funnily enough when we traded up for Rodgers we jumped 7 spots. Using that high 4th rounder instead of the lower 4th rounder gave us a 7 player hit. Perhaps this trade was balanced after all despite the total trade values!

================================================

Anyway I just can't see Rodgers being considered WR1. He's far too useful moving around as an offensive weapon to just lock him permanently on the outside. In base 2 WR sets he would be asked to run block alot more too if he was WR1 which I cannot see happening considering his size. However he could see the kind of usage Cobb enjoyed without ever being WR1.

Adams is the current #1 and gets moved around.   

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

He's not and never will be. He's a slot / gadget guy only. Most CB's will have no problem covering him on the outside. He's not explosive, he's not Tyler Lockett

That’s definitely not accurate. The dude has a great vertical game. 

From Matt Waldmans report on him:

The Elevator Pitch for Rodgers: A versatile receiver who can play all three positions, Rodgers has the quickness and skill after the catch to work from the slot or the backfield. He’s fast enough to play split end and wins contested plays, so he can be bumped to this spot and force the defense to give up a personnel mismatch to Rodgers or the starting split end moved to the inside. And of course, the combination of all of these traits lend itself well to the flanker spot.

• Like 2

Matt Schneidman -   Amari Rodgers and Eric Stokes trained together pre-draft. Rodgers: “Thats my guy ... It’s crazy because we went to Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago and we were on the same bus together and we talked about how we were this close to our dreams, and now we’re on the same team.”

16 minutes ago, deathstar said:

That’s definitely not accurate. The dude has a great vertical game. 

From Matt Waldmans report on him:

The Elevator Pitch for Rodgers: A versatile receiver who can play all three positions, Rodgers has the quickness and skill after the catch to work from the slot or the backfield. He’s fast enough to play split end and wins contested plays, so he can be bumped to this spot and force the defense to give up a personnel mismatch to Rodgers or the starting split end moved to the inside. And of course, the combination of all of these traits lend itself well to the flanker spot.

That's one fine glowing report. From a fantasy football scout, no less. Only thing he left out was the cape.

Edited by cannondale

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

That's one fine glowing report. Only thing left out was the cape.

I’d trust Waldman when it comes to WRs, the dude has a pretty good track record. He’s got Rodgers as his #10 in this class.

More:

What is his ceiling scenario? Rodgers has 1,000-yard, 10-touchown upside as a receiver because of his vertical prowess, YAC skills, and versatility to earn red-zone targets from a variety of positions.
What is his floor scenario? Rodgers winds up in an unimaginative offense and pegged as a role-player without the schematic bells and whistles that can add 200-300 yards and 3-5 scores to his totals. He’ll still offer production value, but not with the high-end starter upside.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

lol what?

Adams is likely looking at a 10-12 million dollar per year raise.  IMO If MVS replicates what he did last year he's not going to be had at a bargain.  Nelson Agholor who's the same sort of player just signed a multi year deal worth 11 million a year.  Curtis Samuel, who's got a different skill set but a #2, got 11.5 million dollar a year.  I don't think we're affording both Adams and MVS.  

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I’d trust Waldman when it comes to WRs, the dude has a pretty good track record. He’s got Rodgers as his #10 in this class.

More:

What is his ceiling scenario? Rodgers has 1,000-yard, 10-touchown upside as a receiver because of his vertical prowess, YAC skills, and versatility to earn red-zone targets from a variety of positions.
What is his floor scenario? Rodgers winds up in an unimaginative offense and pegged as a role-player without the schematic bells and whistles that can add 200-300 yards and 3-5 scores to his totals. He’ll still offer production value, but not with the high-end starter upside.

That's fine. I don't want to start posting 9 links that all disagree with a fantasy football scout. We can agree to disagree instead

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

Adams is likely looking at a 10-12 million dollar per year raise.  IMO If MVS replicates what he did last year he's not going to be had at a bargain.  Nelson Agholor who's the same sort of player just signed a multi year deal worth 11 million a year.  Curtis Samuel, who's got a different skill set but a #2, got 11.5 million dollar a year.  I don't think we're affording both Adams and MVS.  

Maybe true, but as far as I am concerned MVS can walk at the end of the contract.  I think we are seeing his ceiling, and I think he is replaceable.