Round 3: Pick 85; Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

I love this pick and it's awesome this kid wanted to be a Packer from day one. I really like his size and quickness. He is going to be a physical slot and he immediately upgrades our return game on ST.

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If you watched a young Randall Cobb and thought that was a 4.55 guy you’re an idiot.

If you watched Jordy Nelson and thought he was a 4.51 40 yard dash guy you’re an idiot.

Nobody gives a **** about the 40 yard dash anymore.  Until they start running 40 yard dashes with defensive backs swatting, holding, scraping and clawing with the runner wearing full pads and a helmet, the 40 yard dash for receivers (or really any position) don’t mean ****.

Like... FFS, Davante Adams ran a 4.56.  Know why it doesn’t matter?  Because his footwork and quickness at the line give him like .2 seconds while the defensive back is still wondering what the **** just happened to his ankles and what day it was they thought they could cover Davante at the line.

It matters, there's a reason why we use it. It also matters how much speed you lose in pads. Nelson was a 4.5 guy in pads as well as shorts.

Like any metric, it has its value, but it doesn't correlate directly to a good football player. Amari is built and shorter limbed, he's not built to run fast at top speed, but he's quick as hell, just like Randy was.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It matters, there's a reason why we use it. It also matters how much speed you lose in pads. Nelson was a 4.5 guy in pads as well as shorts.

I note the use of "we" versus "they"........
I always suspected you were incogGutey :)

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Like any metric, it has its value, but it doesn't correlate directly to a good football player. Amari is built and shorter limbed, he's not built to run fast at top speed, but he's quick as hell, just like Randy was.

It matters less than tape matters.  

2 hours ago, Chili said:

If we "overpaid" by offering a 4th rounder to trade up then why did we offer our higher 4th rounder instead of our lower 4th rounder?

We don't know what we "offered" the Titans. I expect they started with a 6th but the Titans probably said it's your top 4th or nothing and we wanted the player. 

2 hours ago, Chili said:

If we "overpaid" by offering a 4th rounder to trade up then why did we offer our higher 4th rounder instead of our lower 4th rounder?

Because when you're the one willing to trade down, you're the one dealing from a position of strength.  Tennessee doesn't need more picks.

I like the pick and the possibilities he will give our offense. I also like fact we have ourselves a returner. All the comparisons to Cobb got me thinking about the season opener vs the Saints... I think this kid will be a great addition.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Using Draft Tek trade chart, the value of the Titans 3rd round pick was 165. The value of our 3rd round pick was 132.

We used our high 4th rounder giving a total value 170.5. Using the lower 4th rounder gave the total of 167 which would've been much closer to the value of the Titans 3rd round pick and would've resulted in a much more balanced trade.....

Yes.  Per the charts, it was an overpay.  But in terms of yesterday's market it was obviously the price it took; if the latter 4th had done the job, obviously Gute would have paid the lesser price.  

It speaks to how much Gute's scouts liked the kid.  (Rightly or wrongly). The logic: "I overpaid relative to pick 85; but I underpaid for a guy worthy of pick 63".  

Cobb, Jordy, and Adams have been the only recent guys with quick feet and body balance.  A guy with those qualities can be helpful, *if* he really does.   When philosophy requires all receivers to block, getting a quick slot who can block is hard.  Rodgers unique physique would seem to allow him both qualities.  But it might be fun to have a guy with some stop-and-go quickness who can break tackles, and can turn some short catches into some nice YAC plays.  

Obviously not a blazer.  He's not going to run away from secondary guys.  And he's short with limited wingspan.  Won't take much of a misfire to exceed his grasp; or much of an overthrow to go over him into interception-land.  Those are realities for sure.

Also doesn't seem to have the ideal super-speed for jet-sweeping and getting around the edge.  Having quick stop-and-go instincts, and the ability to break tackles does seem very well suited to some jet-sweep success.  

Dane Brugler guide

STRENGTHS: Compact, stout frame and looks like a running back with the ball in his hands…outstanding play strength, forcing tacklers to fall off him (nine broken tackles in 2020)…strong hands-catcher, spearing away from his body or scooping the ball off his shoe tops…fluid body control to make easy adjustments on the ball…uses start/stop quickness to snap at the stem or shake defenders after the catch…shows the acceleration and gear-change to win vertically…excellent field awareness, toe-tapping the sideline/backline…described as a “master of the details” by former Clemson offensive coordinator Jeff Scott…spent the past three seasons as the team’s featured punt returner, scoring one touchdown (70/529/1)…toughness isn’t a question mark, often feasting over the middle and attacking defenders as a blocker…strong football ties in his family…already prepares and works like a professional (returned from his 2019 ACL injury in 166 days).

WEAKNESSES: Unimpressive height/length…doesn’t have a high win rate on contested catches…more drops than you want to see for a player with his hand strength (five drops in 2020)…most of his college targets came underneath or on horizontal routes (11.8 yards per catch)…only half (53.2%) of his 2020 receptions resulted in a first down or touchdown…hard-nosed blocker, but needs to improve in this area to better sustain at contact…medicals will be important after tearing the ACL in his right knee (March 2019).

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Clemson, Rodgers lined up primarily in the slot in offensive coordinator Tony Elliott’s shotgun spread scheme, moving around the formation and thriving on quick targets (screens, sweeps, etc.). He was Trevor Lawrence’s favorite receiver in 2020 and finished his career No. 6 in school history with 181 catches. Rodgers is very natural catching the ball in stride and seamlessly becoming a ball carrier, and there is a rumble pack on the clicker when you watch his tape because you feel his play strength and toughness. He has elusive feet to shake defenders and settle in zones, but he still requires maturation as a downfield route runner. Overall, Rodgers might struggle to win on the outside vs. NFL corners, but he is a cranked-up competitor with the play strength, instincts and acceleration similar to Deebo Samuel. He projects as a versatile starting slot receiver with special teams skills.

GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (No. 64 overall)

This pick has grown onme over the last two days. I didn't like Guty wasting yet another 4th rounder on a move up and kinda held that against Rodgers... I'm over that and really like him as a slot/returner/gadget player.