Round 3: Pick 85; Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

I thought of Ervin as a "gadget" player; I don't see Rodgers that way.  You pretty much knew Ervin wasn't going to go out and run a regular route and catch a regular pass.  And he wasn't going to be used heavily as a blocker.  He was a jet-sweep gadget guy, but little more.  Few touches or targets with the ball; and few touches as a blocker.  

I don't envision Rodgers like that; in some ways he might be kind of anti-Ervin in function?   Rather than being kind of predictable and limited in possible usage as was Ervin, I think it's the diversity of possible usage with Rodgers that stands out?  He might block; jet-sweep; receive underneath; break deep.  In a sense, perhaps no different from whenever Packers have slot guys.  

I wonder whether he might end up winning some slot snaps away from snaps previously given to TE's?  Jace was supposed to have some vertical threat down the seam, but hasn't been used much for that.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, craig said:

I thought of Ervin as a "gadget" player; I don't see Rodgers that way.  You pretty much knew Ervin wasn't going to go out and run a regular route and catch a regular pass.  And he wasn't going to be used heavily as a blocker.  He was a jet-sweep gadget guy, but little more.  Few touches or targets with the ball; and few touches as a blocker.  

I don't envision Rodgers like that; in some ways he might be kind of anti-Ervin in function?   Rather than being kind of predictable and limited in possible usage as was Ervin, I think it's the diversity of possible usage with Rodgers that stands out?  He might block; jet-sweep; receive underneath; break deep.  In a sense, perhaps no different from whenever Packers have slot guys.  

I wonder whether he might end up winning some slot snaps away from snaps previously given to TE's?  Jace was supposed to have some vertical threat down the seam, but hasn't been used much for that.  

Exactly, he fits perfect into what MLF wants went he talks about looking the same in pre-snap and being very multiple from there. Many here wanted one of the smaller, high end speed guys in the draft this year, but Rodgers is the one that is the perfect fit for MLF. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Exactly, he fits perfect into what MLF wants went he talks about looking the same in pre-snap and being very multiple from there. Many here wanted one of the smaller, high end speed guys in the draft this year, but Rodgers is the one that is the perfect fit for MLF. 

so, with this in mind, do you believe that GB's evil Front Office dictators (Murphy and Gute) allowed minion MLF in on some of the draft process?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

so, with this in mind, do you believe that GB's evil Front Office dictators (Murphy and Gute) allowed minion MLF in on some of the draft process?

No, evil Gutes reportedly after the pick was made could be heard telling MLF that he didn't care what he thought and MLF could go **** himself. Also told him that he would draft whoever he wants and MLF better like it, than told MLF that if he even looked at him again he would draft a new HC in round 4. That man is just pure evil.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, R T said:

Yeah.  I've enjoyed watching how other teams use quick shifty slots, and admit that I've kind of envied that capacity at times.  But given MLF's commitment to run-blocking being a prereq for receivers, I never even imagined adding a short-and-quick guy who'd get lots of snaps, other than as a 3rd-day gadget pick.   

But the freaky body shape that enables Rodgers to be a tough movement blocker opens all the multiple up, and also opens the possibility of lots-of-snaps usage.  Hypothetically perfect fit in offering the required blocking but still being able to offer some of the slot-receiving function. 

I'm still curious to see how much usage or function he might get in the actual jet-sweep stuff.  Will he be a little too slow to excel with those?  Or will he actually be just fine speed-wise for doing those; and with his tackle-breaking toughness actually have some play-maker capacity on jet sweeps?  

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah.  I've enjoyed watching how other teams use quick shifty slots, and admit that I've kind of envied that capacity at times.  But given MLF's commitment to run-blocking being a prereq for receivers, I never even imagined adding a short-and-quick guy who'd get lots of snaps, other than as a 3rd-day gadget pick.   

But the freaky body shape that enables Rodgers to be a tough movement blocker opens all the multiple up, and also opens the possibility of lots-of-snaps usage.  Hypothetically perfect fit in offering the required blocking but still being able to offer some of the slot-receiving function. 

I'm still curious to see how much usage or function he might get in the actual jet-sweep stuff.  Will he be a little too slow to excel with those?  Or will he actually be just fine speed-wise for doing those; and with his tackle-breaking toughness actually have some play-maker capacity on jet sweeps?  

Craig, have you watch any of his game footage? And if you have, do you think he plays a little too slow to excel? 

1 hour ago, craig said:

He is not built all that different from Deebo Samuel.  Deebo is probably more powerful and explosive but not by much.  Amari seems to have an edge in being a very natural hands catcher.  Of course, he had a guy who walks on water throwing him the ball at Clemson, so maybe he benefitted from really nice placement but he seems like he is great tracking and bringing the ball in.  I guess he also had a bout with the drops so let's hope he's getting that out of his game.  He gives the impression of an intense and hardworking player.

Rodgers will get some motion stuff and has the quicks and acceleration to do it but he should also excel from the slot, outside and as an escape valve underneath to hopefully become a YAC monster like Deebo in a similar offense.

Yes.  He 

11 minutes ago, R T said:

Craig, have you watch any of his game footage? And if you have, do you think he plays a little too slow to excel? 

Yes, and maybe, as regards the jet sweeps specifically?  Some successful jet sweeps, it's a pure race to the corner.  I'm not sure I see that burner speed for rodgers, the ability to outrun guys and turn the corner just based on speed alone?  

But lots of successful jet sweeps succeed in other ways.  Space with blockers.  Cut underneath rather than sweeping around the boundary.  Turn the corner not not by out-running guys, but a little juke or hesitation step temporarily slows a defender.   Break a tackle and gain something extra.  Rodgers could excel in lots of these ways.   

Think he could be a good bubble-sceen guy, as receiver or blocker, including jet-sweep motion into blocking position.  

• Like 1

I haven't really watched much of his highlights (to say nothing of actual film) due to time, but I can see why he patterns his game after Jarvis Landry, feel like that seems like a pretty good starting point for him career-wise.  He's a bit more physically gifted than Landry, but not sure if he's got the same dog in him.  Still he's a compact possession receiver that can find the ball in the air and has pretty soft hands when he remembers to stay focused and look it in.  He's definitely in line to get the Ervin touches year 1, but my guess is he gets more reps than people expect faster than people expect.  

• Like 2

Didn't like the pick at first.  Wanted a player who tested better.

But, you can't knock his on field production.  And from what I saw, he may not have tested well, but on the field, he passed every test with flying colors.

Solid move.