Round 3: Pick 85; Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Not really digging that #8 jersey. Maybe I'll get used to it. 

Everyone's going to hate and notice that stuff the first couple years then it'll wear off, I'd assume

33 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Why not just give him 18? Cobb is his mentor, and nobody is using it.  We won't retire Cobb's number anyway.  

So would that mean he'd play well for a season or two, sign a huge contract, and then be a glorified JAG the rest of his career?

43 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Why not just give him 18? Cobb is his mentor, and nobody is using it.  We won't retire Cobb's number anyway.  

Lol, because Rodgers wanted the number 8. 

Amari Rodgers' choice of No. 8 to symbolize 'everything coming full circle'

The third-round pick was the first to take advantage of the NFL relaxing its rules on which numbers skill-position players are permitted to wear.

Unfortunately, the No. 3 Rodgers wore at Clemson already was retired in Green Bay in honor of Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Tony Canadeo.

No problem. Instead, Rodgers decided to get a little more creative and picked out the No. 8.

"You know, '8' is just a three but you close it in," Rodgers said. "Everything came full circle, so that's really how I saw it. Everything coming full circle, all the work I put in came full circle. Now I'm here achieving my dream. That's what that '8' symbolizes to me."

I'm finally listening to Gute's presser from after day 2 so apologies if this has been posted already — but I found it interesting he said they were picking between Myers and Rodgers in the 2nd round, and as soon as they made the Myers pick they started trying to trade up for Rodgers. He even explained why they seemingly gave up so much draft capital — because they really liked Rodgers. Based on his comments, it sounds like Myers and Rodgers were both high on their board for the 2nd round.

Edit: Listening further, he actually goes on to compare the situation to TT trading up for Clay Matthews. They really, really like Rodgers.

Edited by Lodestar

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I'm finally listening to Gute's presser from after day 2 so apologies if this has been posted already — but I found it interesting he said they were picking between Myers and Rodgers in the 2nd round, and as soon as they made the Myers pick they started trying to trade up for Rodgers. He even explained why they seemingly gave up so much draft capital — because they really liked Rodgers. Based on his comments, it sounds like Myers and Rodgers were both high on their board for the 2nd round.

Targeting a WR in the 3rd round  and actually moving up and getting him? @packfanfb I heard today the Packers have been targeting WR's in the 1st round for years and just can't close the deal, yet amazingly they got their guy in the 3rd this year. 

50 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Edit: Listening further, he actually goes on to compare the situation to TT trading up for Clay Matthews. They really, really like Rodgers.

Every draft they always give the company line where they say these were their guys all along. Meanwhile, if you had been a fly on the wall you would have seen them wheeling and dealing to get rid of the pick or getting their hearts broken when their real crush got drafted three spots earlier etc.  This year, watching it live, the picks were coming in immediately. Compared to other teams it was like Gute was just firing as soon as he got up there. That combined with the trade up for Amari and I don’t actually think he’s bluffing about his confidence in his picks. I hope he’s right. 

*for whatever it’s worth, Rodgers gave the best interview today followed closely by Myers. They just seemed mature and excited to be getting to work. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, R T said:

I heard today the Packers have been targeting WR's in the 1st round for years and just can't close the deal.

Not sure if you're purposely using hyperbole here or just butchering the argument. Either way, I'm glad Gute at least appeased me (and 12) by drafting his first pre-Day 3 WR.