Round 3: Pick 85; Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

According to scouting reports, Rodgers is the kind of guy who will require schemes to get him open. Those are not the kind of plays you'll see in the vanilla offenses of the preseason.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/amari-rodgers/CIqRzYdT0A

Rodgers is a slot receiver that is built like a running back. He thrived with manufactured touches and then using his physicality, burst, vision, and decisiveness to work after the catch. As his production increased as a senior, so did his role in the offense. 2020 saw Rodgers produce more down the field in addition to his work in the short to intermediate areas of the field. He has reliable hands, plays a physical brand of football, and is a good athlete. When it comes to identifying areas of growth for Rodgers, developing his route tree and finding more consistency when challenged at the catch point stand out. Rodgers lacks length and struggles to extend his catch radius which creates some limitations. Rodgers has a chance to be a featured slot receiver in the NFL for an offense predicated on timing. 

Not tall enough, not long enough, not fast enough, not quick enough. That's a lot of nots. It's no secret I hated the idea of drafting a gadget guy in the Top 100. I think they are highly overrated. I was fine with Rodgers in the 3rd probably more due to relief that they didn't waste a pick earlier as some had wanted / projected. Not real impressed with a lot of Gutes positional drafting thus far. I'm sure some fans will think it's worth a 3rd seeing Rodgers run an orbit motion 3 times a game. Never gonna be a WR2 or WR3 so the value still blows IMO. At the end of the day, it's still about "fix the defense or nothing else matters" for me and it remains to be seen whether that has been done.

Edited by cannondale

22 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not tall enough, not long enough, not fast enough, not quick enough. That's a lot of nots. It's no secret I hated the idea of drafting a gadget guy in the Top 100. I think they are highly overrated. I was fine with Rodgers in the 3rd probably more due to relief that they didn't waste a pick earlier as some had wanted / projected. Not real impressed with a lot of Gutes positional drafting thus far. I'm sure some fans will think it's worth a 3rd seeing Rodgers run an orbit motion 3 times a game. Never gonna be a WR2 or WR3 so the value still blows IMO. At the end of the day, it's still about "fix the defense or nothing else matters" for me and it remains to be seen whether that has been done.

He’s quick enough in and out of his breaks. Runs really good routes. Good hands. A lot like Randall Cobb, and Cobb was good enough.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not tall enough, not long enough, not fast enough, not quick enough. That's a lot of nots.

Except he is all of those things. He's literally average in size/strength, speed and agility for a WR.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1388321861235355652/photo/1

He's not elite or above average, which is why he was available where he was based on everything else. Low floor type player with a higher ceiling in this offense than most. Exactly the type of value drafting that you want from your GM.