Round 3: Pick 85; Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think there were issues between MLF and Rodgers running the offense the first year.  They play nice together, but I think it led to Jordan Love being drafted. 

I think if there was....it was to get AR to trust the system and just throw the damn ball to the open guy. If I remember correctly, it was noted that he was missing (or not throwing to) open receivers/RBs. If I were MLF and I was scheming guys open that the QB simply was ignoring......I'd have some issues with him too.

8 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think there were issues between MLF and Rodgers running the offense the first year.  They play nice together, but I think it led to Jordan Love being drafted.  

LaFleur and staff are all in on 12

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I think if there was....it was to get AR to trust the system and just throw the damn ball to the open guy. If I remember correctly, it was noted that he was missing (or not throwing to) open receivers/RBs. If I were MLF and I was scheming guys open that the QB simply was ignoring......I'd have some issues with him too.

Exactly.  I think he wants the ball thrown to receivers schemed open.  Not 90% to Adams because Rodgers doesn't trust the others.  

• Like 1

Not sure ARod has the Ervin speed to be the ideal jet guy?  Isn't the orbit guy supposed to be blazing fast to get to the corner quickly?  On the other hand, the prospect having a quick slot guy is fun, and some of those jet sweeps are not about just getting around the corner, but knowing when to cut through when defenders are overly committed horizontally.  A power guy could slice through more easily.  

Having little slot guys like Davis or Shepherd, they had no blocking capacity.  Rodgers looks built to run block, not just receive, and to have good pad level!  :)

Other than Adams, the Packers have tended to have tall blocking long-stride guys, not quick-and-shifty guys.   I'm interested to have one.  Hope the guy is healthy and proves to be a nice solid player.  

Kind of fun, breaks all of the board's understood rules:  Gute loves tall receiver, Gute is a strict RAS guy.  

Hopefully he works out and is a good Cobb-like player, or a better-than-Ty-Montgomery receiver, and lots healthier.  

5 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Gute said he wanted to draft Rodgers in the 2nd and wanted to trade up for him immediately after the Myers pick. They really wanted their slot guy badly

Fascinating.  

From Bob McGinn's scouting series:  https://theathletic.com/2530958/2021/04/29/ranking-top-wide-receivers-tight-ends-in-2021-nfl-draft-bob-mcginns-draft-grades-are-in/

Ranked ahead of Eskridge, Brown, Collins, Wallace.  Right behind Moore and Marshall, although some of the scouting questioned whether Marshall was healthy enough to rank that high.  

"9. Amari Rodgers, Clemson (5-foot-9½, 212, 4.51, Round 2 or 3): Compared by one scout to former Packer Randall Cobb.  “He’s that type of slot receiver,” he said. “Not great speed, but exceptional quickness. He’s tough and confident. He’s the son of a coach.”

.... Rodgers made a startling recovery from ACL surgery in spring 2019, returning in time to play 14 of 15 games.

This guy’s just as good as those Alabama guys,” said a second scout. “He’s built like a running back. Just a good football player. He separates easy at any level. He makes some big-time plays, then he’s got a lot of concentration drops. Plays faster than that (4.51).”....

“He reminded me of Christian Kirk,” a third scout said. “Really mature, really smart. He’s not going to be Tyreek Hill. He doesn’t have that type of athletic ability. He’s not freaky fast. Whatever he’s going to be, he’ll be that pretty early in his rookie year. I think it’s a good investment, especially at that position, because so many of them fail for reasons outside of (their) ability.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MuFF said:

Gute says it was between Rodgers and Myers at 62, and after they picked Myers they were immediately trying to get up to get Rodgers. 

increasingly happy with how day 2 has gone in that case.  Glad we were able to get both the guys that we valued.