49ers select RB Trey Sermon With the 88th Pick in the 3rd round

J-ALL-DAY

The Pick: Trey Sermon, RB

Grade: C+

Why: Sermon cost us 2 4th round picks to acquire and some believe he could’ve been there at 117. The player and the fit are an A for me, but the cost and the overall value and the lack of passing down abilities drops that for me to a still respectable grade. 

2021 Impact: High

Why: With Sermon’s productivity in an outside zone scheme, he can immediately come in and challenge for early-down snaps with Mostert. I expect to see a lot of Sermon this year. He's raw in the pass protection and pass catching, so I don't know we see a ton of him on 3rd downs, but I think we see him plenty to start series off and rotating with Mostert in that regard.  

My Thoughts: Sermon is an elite, explosive athlete who already knows our run scheme. I expect Sermon to hit the ground running and be a focal point in our ground game sooner rather than later. Sermon the runner is a dangerous player. Sermon the pass catcher is still a bit of an unknown and untested player, but if he can consistently show the hands he has on more than just dump offs, his value in our offense will increase significantly. 

What I Like

• Top-tier ball security
  • Hitting holes with authority
  • Decisiveness with the ball in his hands 
  • Contact balance 
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

This is nice insight. From watching Sermon's tape, he's got a lot of burst but he fizzles out, which is 10/20/40 times line up with the tape. I'm not concerned with the slower 40 time at all. I think Sermon is going to make his money by bursting through the hole and ripping off 15 or 20 yard chunk runs at a time.