With the 91st pick, the Browns select Anthony Schwartz

zelbell

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I noticed a trend in the last 2 drafts of speed at WR being extremely overvalued. I mean just look at Ruggs going over Lamb/Jeudy and Reagor going over Jefferson.

You saw another trend this year in the 2-4 rounds of a bunch of 4.3 type smaller WRs flying off the board.

Its a copycat league and it seems like everyone is trying their hardest to mimic the Chiefs with Hill/Hardman ect. The problem is a lot of those smaller fast WRs are nowhere close to Hill in terms of his hands and ball skills. The only other smaller guy that immediately pops to my mind that has the same ball skills as Hill was Steve Smith. He was 5'9" but Smith played like he was 6'2" when the ball was in the air.

Luckily for us the trend of drafting legit sub 4.3 guys didn't catch on in time to get in the way of destiny.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Luckily for us the trend of drafting legit sub 4.3 guys didn't catch on in time to get in the way of destiny.

Agreed. Schwartz might be serviceable early if we just use him for all of those sweep plays OBJ/Landry were running last year and some deep bombs.

I expect him to be rough around the edges for a while in terms of route running and reliable hands. He will be the typical guy who you just try to get the ball in their hands really quick and pile up some YAC

Maybe we will see a screen pass finally in the playbook this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agreed. Schwartz might be serviceable early if we just use him for all of those sweep plays OBJ/Landry were running last year and some deep bombs.

I expect him to be rough around the edges for a while in terms of route running and reliable hands. He will be the typical guy who you just try to get the ball in their hands really quick and pile up some YAC

Maybe we will see a screen pass finally in the playbook this year.

I’d use him on those end around and go routes. We need someone like him to take the top off the defense. Just run straight ahead and clear space. That’s all we need this year. And possibly learn to return punts. 

46 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’d use him on those end around and go routes. We need someone like him to take the top off the defense. Just run straight ahead and clear space. That’s all we need this year. And possibly learn to return punts. 

When perriman was here he had 3 routes crossing, go, and slant, he could do that and it would be handy.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I saw or heard a Mecole Hardman comp.  If Schwartz can do what he does to KC's offense for us?????  I'm all in on this pick!!!!

This is actually a really solid comp.

Dudes like Schwartz who have that god tier speed really put a lot of stress on defenses just by being on the field.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is actually a really solid comp.

Dudes like Schwartz who have that god tier speed really put a lot of stress on defenses just by being on the field.

The game vs kc our dbs looked like they  were running in mud.

33 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The closest comp to what Schwartz is going to bring to the table for the Browns is when we had Travis Benjamin 

Good comp also.

I know some folks are gonna get assed up about the idea of taking a guy like Benjamin in R3, but dude is about to start his 9th NFL season (plus last year where he opted out).  

That’s really a solid return on a 3rd rounder if Schwartz has a similar career.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Good comp also.

I know some folks are gonna get assed up about the idea of taking a guy like Benjamin in R3, but dude is about to start his 9th NFL season (plus last year where he opted out).  

And all that said, Schwartz is bigger, faster and won't even turn 21 until the season starts. He may even get a little faster in the next year or two.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Good comp also.

could you imagine if TBen had a WR room with Jarvis OBJ and Higgins and a coach like O’shea. TBen was good for us. He had the likes of Big play Gary and Duke Johnson as #1 and #3 in Targets on the team when he almost went for 1k to help him out and Oh yea, McCown and Manziel throwing him the ball. I think that is a great comp for him 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Good comp also.

I would no hesitation take a guy like Travis Benjamin in R3 with our WR room.  A guy who can get huge separation in single coverage can negate not having strong hands as long as they don't flat out drop the ball.  Plus the end arounds and fake end arounds we can run with him on the field.

Only downside I see to this pick is how many snaps he could realistically see when we are bringing back 4 WRs and 3 TEs who contributed last season.  I still like the pick more than most national pundits seem to, even if he doesn't do much until year 2 or he eats off Higgins and DPJ's plate.  However, I feel like Higgins and DPJ will compete with each other more for play time if Schwartz comes in and proves he can make plays for us right away just because Schwartz skillet is different.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I would no hesitation take a guy like Travis Benjamin in R3 with our WR room.  A guy who can get huge separation in single coverage can negate not having strong hands as long as they don't flat out drop the ball.  Plus the end arounds and fake end arounds we can run with him on the field.

Only downside I see to this pick is how many snaps he could realistically see when we are bringing back 4 WRs and 3 TEs who contributed last season.  I still like the pick more than most national pundits seem to, even if he doesn't do much until year 2 or he eats off Higgins and DPJ's plate.  However, I feel like Higgins and DPJ will compete with each other more for play time if Schwartz comes in and proves he can make plays for us right away just because Schwartz skillet is different.

Yeah I don’t think he’s going to be competing with DPJ and Higgins as much as they will be with each other.

He’s unique in that he brings a particular trait that no one else on the team has other than maybe OBJ (we’ll see how he looks after surgery).

I think he could get a decent amount of snaps just because of what he can force a defense to do and how that will open things up for everyone else.