49ers select DB Ambry Thomas With the 102nd Pick in the 3rd round

J-ALL-DAY

Too bad he missed a year to see whether he would develop more or not. But then again if he did we wouldn't be getting him at this spot. At worst I think he's a solid backup, but I think the potential is there is be a starter in the slot. Nice pick at this spot.

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Hope he picks #1

At least when kids go to college, that #1 is kind of reserved for the special ones... not to say he can't be but I dont think it'll happen as I'm assuming the same thing will happen in the pros

Nice pick. He was definitely one of our better CB in 2019. Give him time to develop with the yr off. Could be K-Dub replacement(most likely) or Moseley replacement...depends where they want him. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ok so I thought trill Williams was a 3rd round corner and Thomas was a 5th. Williams went undrafted and Thomas was a 3rd. I was way off on value lol. 

I had trill and Thomas in the same area. Liked Thomas more, but was very high on trill as well lol. Oops. 

I honestly don't know what it was that teams didn't like about him. Good size, decent athlete, etc

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

I had trill and Thomas in the same area. Liked Thomas more, but was very high on trill as well lol. Oops. 

I honestly don't know what it was that teams didn't like about him. Good size, decent athlete, etc

Poor medicals maybe? 

The Pick: Ambry Thomas, CB

Grade: B+

Why: The value seems right here. I had him lower, but my valuation was all over the place in a bad way. The athleticism and the talent make this great pick at the end of the 3rd round. I love that Adam Peters was so high on this kid.

2021 Impact: Moderate to high

Why: Well, he’s effectively our 1st corner off the bench right now. I expect that to change before TC starts with either bringing Sherman back or someone else in. I still think he sees the field plenty throughout the year off the bench. He can contribute both in the slot and outside, so his flexibility will help him get on the field and his talent will help keep him on the field. He's also a pretty decent returner, so I expect him to challenge for reps in kickoff and punt duties.

My Thoughts: What drew me to Thomas in the first place before the draft was his balance of talent. He looks comfortable in zone and man, so it’s more about honing skills with both rather than teaching him something new. I really like his versatility in coverages and as a returner. He even took a few snaps at RB and looked the part. I think he should probably begin his career as an outside corner. I feel he's more comfortable in zone coverage than man, but he's fine with both. 

I really like his click and close ability. The ball is in his area, he closes quickly and goes for the legs, not the torso. He's not a very strong corner, but his willingness to go right after ball carriers is very appreciated. He reminds me a lot of Moseley - high-level athlete who loves to compete and punch above his weight.

What I Like

• Click and close defender, ready to mix it up
  • Willingness to tackle and be physical
  • Great athlete and can be dangerous with the ball in his hands
  • Coverage versatility
  • Return game candidate with serious potential
  • Like 1

49ers asst GM Adam Peters championed Ambry Thomas pre-draft. True to philosophy, SF aimed to address secondary right after premium rounds of draft. 49ers were afraid Lions would take Thomas — a Detroit native — with pick right before them. Lions picked CB Ifeatu Melifonwu instead

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

49ers asst GM Adam Peters championed Ambry Thomas pre-draft. True to philosophy, SF aimed to address secondary right after premium rounds of draft. 49ers were afraid Lions would take Thomas — a Detroit native — with pick right before them. Lions picked CB Ifeatu Melifonwu instead

I fell off of melifonwu pretty quickly leading up to the draft. He’s billed as a guy who is good in zone but terrible in man. Doesn’t seem like he was ever a good fit for us.

20 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I fell off of melifonwu pretty quickly leading up to the draft. He’s billed as a guy who is good in zone but terrible in man. Doesn’t seem like he was ever a good fit for us.

I thought we wouldn't draft him after we released his brother just before the draft. It would have been awkward.