2021 Draft Thread - Day 3 Throwdown

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Now thats a good question. What I would like to see is a defense in the top 20. A more realistic goal would be above 25th. It really comes down to the pass rush(more particularly what the interior pass rushers do). The chances are one of them steps up and we're somewhere around 22. This is me lowballing by the way. They have the talent to to be higher than this but I'm done with the whole potential thing I've got to see it. I expect them to be much better at rushing the passer which is going to make the defense much better.

But even If we're around 22 and are offfense plays top 10 like I did last year and say we run the ball better we can win 10 or 11 games. I don't see that as out of the realm of possibility. Remember we won eight games with virtually no pass rush and teams scoring in one minute 40 or less.

For Bradly to have a successful year our D will have to finish approximately 17th or better.  That is a massive step up from where we were and I don't think we have the talent to make that leap.  Bad draft picks and FA signings have put us in this position and heads needs to roll if we do not take a dramatic step forward this year.   

There are still many questions surrounding our D. How much will the simplicity of Bradley's cover 3 improve player performance?  Can we generate any type of pass rush from the inside?  Can Ferrell take a step forward and live up to this top 5 draft status?  Will playing closer to the line LOS allow Abram to finally become an asset instead of a liability?  Will Arnette live up to his top 20 draft status and stop getting torched?  Will Littleton finally earn his contract and play like he did with the Rams? 

I can keep going on and on but you get the point.  For us to take a massive leap we need a lot of things to happen.  

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Mayock said in a press conference that he tried to trade down but with one team but they had a really bad offer so he stayed put and made the pick. 

Think he said that the team that wanted to move up wanted a tackle insinuating that was the reason they didn’t do the deal. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

For Bradly to have a successful year our D will have to finish approximately 17th or better.  That is a massive step up from where we were and I don't think we have the talent to make that leap.  Bad draft picks and FA signings have put us in this position and heads needs to roll if we do not take a dramatic step forward this year.   

There are still many questions surrounding our D. How much will the simplicity of Bradley's cover 3 improve player performance?  Can we generate any type of pass rush from the inside?  Can Ferrell take a step forward and live up to this top 5 draft status?  Will playing closer to the line LOS allow Abram to finally become an asset instead of a liability?  Will Arnette live up to his top 20 draft status and stop getting torched?  Will Littleton finally earn his contract and play like he did with the Rams? 

I can keep going on and on but you get the point.  For us to take a massive leap we need a lot of things to happen.  

I agree. Honestly that’s where I really project them. they have the talent to go 17 or higher defensively. That’s for sure. But they have to play well and  be in the best position to succeed is scheme wise(like every good defense). Do I think we have the pieces for sure I do. They have to put the product on the field though.

With that being said, the moves that the Raiders of made these last couple of years in comparison to some of the moves that was made last night made me realize some thing: The off-season moves that we make whether via draft or via free agency are very much driven by the coaches(it took me a while to figure out but I barely caught it this year). let me explain why:

Notice how most of the problems we have with the Raiders draft picks or Free agent signings that don’t or haven’t panned out thus far are mostly Defense. The free agents or draft picks that our offensive usually pan out(unless they get hurt or lose their mind). That’s because Gruden knows what he wants to do on offense so so they always pan out. Same thing with Tom Cable and Kolton Miller(which is actually the reason why I’m not concerned about leatherwood). Speaking of Leatherwood that also would explain why it seems like the Raiders always draft players that TV or the Internet don’t expect: because coaches don’t care about things like consensus; coaches want their guy. This I have no problem with this generally but there is a downside to it which is what I’m gonna explain that.

The problem is when you have a bad coach then giving the coach what he wants isn’t a good thing. That’s why most of our problems have been defensively even though we spent a lot of resources in that area. We allowed a defense of coordinator that’s never build a defense from scratch and is never had someone younger than 24 in the starting lineup. We had someone running a complex scheme that he didn’t create which means he doesn’t know what kind of players he needs to get in order to run it properly. 

that’s why it seems like now the Raiders of turned over a new leaf by drafting faster Athletic players. Like if you think about it this way do you think that if Gus Bradley we’re here from the start that we would’ve drafted Ferrell over Brian Burns or Josh Allen know because they are Leos. 

That’s why I think the defense this year will be vastly improved because were giving resources to a coach who has built two defenses in the past from scratch And has a track record for developing the talent that he’s given.

Edited by Jeremy408

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Think he said that the team that wanted to move up wanted a tackle insinuating that was the reason they didn’t do the deal. 

Well what he literally said was that they had a really bad offer from the team they wanted to trade down with.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Well what he literally said was that they had a really bad offer from the team they wanted to trade down with.

“The Raiders made all those picks without trading down to get more draft capital. Mayock said he and coach Jon Gruden had one offer to move down but described it as “poor” and from a team needing a tackle, so they stayed put”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/43727095?client=safari

10 minutes ago, Dessie said:

“The Raiders made all those picks without trading down to get more draft capital. Mayock said he and coach Jon Gruden had one offer to move down but described it as “poor” and from a team needing a tackle, so they stayed put”

Start at one 1:18 

49 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Cool so confirmed what I quoted. 

I realized that right after I sent it. lol. But that's the thing if you're a coach you want the player that you evaluated to be the best player you could've gotten to play the role you want them to play. And if they think that's leatherwood I have no problem with that. Time will tell if they're right or wrong. 

31 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I realized that right after I sent it. lol. But that's the thing if you're a coach you want the player that you evaluated to be the best player you could've gotten to play the role you want them to play. And if they think that's leatherwood I have no problem with that. Time will tell if they're right or wrong. 

Absolutely got no issue with it, tbf it was a poor offer and a team that wanted a tackle so you were right in that it was a poor offer. 

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

I’m guessing it was minn 

I’m just hope we didn’t think they wanted to trade up for leatherwood with darrisaw there. I don’t think any team would trade up for leatherwood at 17. But again a lot of weird stuff happened this draft.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m guessing it was minn 

I’m just hope we didn’t think they wanted to trade up for leatherwood with darrisaw there. I don’t think any team would trade up for leatherwood at 17. But again a lot of weird stuff happened this draft.

This draft was pretty wild, it mustve been cause of Covid restrictions.
I think teams boards were way different this year. 
Right now everyone laughing at our pick, but if Alex turns out better than Darrisaw, the value isnt as bad as I originally thought. 

28 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m guessing it was minn 

Minnesota or Baltimore would be my guess. Baltimore had the ammunition.