Levi Onwuzurike DT selected 41st overall

Louis Friend

We need a picture!!! also. not the pick we saw. but great for dline. think most of us agreed we had no pass rush. this help those guys. plus these guys have abilities to get to the qb plus brockers to teach them. bye bye cornell and shoot maybe pensini 

We definitely needed to upgrade DT.  Some had him as the top DT in the draft.  I did not but had him as a late 2nd rounder.  Another pick that will not only help the DT position but also DE, LB and CB by adding pressure to the QB and a player that has to be accounted for. I love building inside out. 

• Like 1

I think McNeil will start at nose.  I'm guessing Onwuzurike will be a rotational guy.  I guess he will rotate in with McNeil and Brockers depending on the down/distance/package.  But we also have Flowers who will kick inside so either this gives us a lot of packages to rotate in or it limits the playing time/impact of Onwuzurike.  I think this is by far my least favorite pick.  It's still a good player and good value I just preferred other players and not sure who we play him that much.

What's everyone's thought's on depth chart/scheme and how we line up?

41 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I think McNeil will start at nose.  I'm guessing Onwuzurike will be a rotational guy.  I guess he will rotate in with McNeil and Brockers depending on the down/distance/package.  But we also have Flowers who will kick inside so either this gives us a lot of packages to rotate in or it limits the playing time/impact of Onwuzurike.  I think this is by far my least favorite pick.  It's still a good player and good value I just preferred other players and not sure who we play him that much.

What's everyone's thought's on depth chart/scheme and how we line up?

You don't always draft for holes.  And although adding two DTs may not make a ton of sense right now, we don't have anyone long term thats worth much.  So if Levi si rotational this year with Alim, Brockers and Penisini adn develops into a solid starter in a year or two, this is a great pick.  

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

You don't always draft for holes.  And although adding two DTs may not make a ton of sense right now, we don't have anyone long term thats worth much.  So if Levi si rotational this year with Alim, Brockers and Penisini adn develops into a solid starter in a year or two, this is a great pick.  

I get BPA, especially for this draft and I'm all for it, I'm just wondering if we extended Brockers where do they line up?  Unless the plan is to move on from Brockers in a year or two and Levi takes his place.  What's your thoughts on the starting line up?  Where do these 3 line up/take snaps?

46 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I get BPA, especially for this draft and I'm all for it, I'm just wondering if we extended Brockers where do they line up?  Unless the plan is to move on from Brockers in a year or two and Levi takes his place.  What's your thoughts on the starting line up?  Where do these 3 line up/take snaps?

It could be to play him with Brockers.  Could just be that most D LIneman play about 60% of the snaps so it makes sense to have more than 2 good DTs.  Could be they plan to run more 3-4 type sets and want to play Brockers, Levi, and McNeill at the same time.  There are a lot of possibilities but I would say if they were that high on him, they expect big things and will play him a fair amount.  And given Brockers age, it wouldnt shock me if Brockers is the backup or released in a year or two. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It could be to play him with Brockers.  Could just be that most D LIneman play about 60% of the snaps so it makes sense to have more than 2 good DTs.  Could be they plan to run more 3-4 type sets and want to play Brockers, Levi, and McNeill at the same time.  There are a lot of possibilities but I would say if they were that high on him, they expect big things and will play him a fair amount.  And given Brockers age, it wouldnt shock me if Brockers is the backup or released in a year or two. 

Yeah Brockers is suddenly the odd piece or possible the most versatile.  Levi and Aliem seem to fit a traditional 4-3 as a UT and NT with defined roles and Brockers is more of a player that in a pinch can possibly play both.  I think they are going to rotate them all around in different techs.  I think Brockers played a 4 and will see time there as well.  I think Levi will play that as well.  It's a lot of unique skill sets.  Do you think Julian will play more of a rush LB type role?

If we do a straight "Nascar Package" or "Goal Line" who do you think lines up for those?

Michael Brockers is 30-years old.  He still has some tread on the tires but we shouldn't be caught flat-footed if his play drops off or injuries become a concern.  The lack of sacks with Onwuzurike is a concern but he is good against the run and pretty disruptive.  His QB sack production should improve over time.  This wasn't a great year for DTs but  I think the Lions got two solid players at good draft slots.