The Jaguars trade up to pick 121 and select EDGE Jordan Smith

pwny

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

LETTUCE GOOO

Jordan Smith is one of the 3 mid-round EDGE guys I had identified as wanting really badly.

Glad we got him then!  He wasn't really on my radar, but I haven't been thinking too much about EDGE players.  He looks like he has some nice pass rush moves.  A little buffoonery in his past though - he was allegedly involved in a check cashing scam. 

Here is what PFN has to say about him:

Positives

Florida transfer who was an impact starter for UAB past two seasons. Incredibly athletic defensive front-seven player who can be used up the field or in space. Breaks down well and effectively uses his hands. Agile, easily changes direction or redirects and quickly alters his angle of attack in pursuit. Remains disciplined with assignments. Fluid and smooth. Gets depth on pass drops, covers a lot of area on the field and easily gets out to the flanks pursuing the action. Forceful up the field, terrific as a pass rusher and bends off the edge. Remains disciplined with assignments and does not run aimlessly around the field. Quickly locates the ball handler, explodes through gaps and gives effort defending the run.

Negatives

Lacks bulk and strength and struggles getting off blocks. Doesn't stack well against the run.

Analysis

Smith is an athletic prospect with outstanding size and speed as well as growth potential. He displays himself as a well-rounded, three-down defender and should only improve as he gets more playing experience. I project Smith at outside linebacker in a 3-4 system, as he can rush the passer or drop back into coverage on passing downs.

They're different types of players, but for whatever it's worth (not much), I much much preferred taking Jordan Smith Round 3/4 over taking either Gregory Rousseau or Carlos Basham Jr. in rounds 1 or 2. 

the three EDGE guys I keyed in on for these rounds were Jordan Smith, Elerson Smith (went to NYG) and Tarron Jackson behind them (more of a 5th/6th round EDGE)

• Like 1