Round 4: Pick 142; Royce Newman, OG Ole Miss

5 hours ago, Joe said:

I think we're all in consensus that Newman developed a lot quicker than expected. He'll stand to improve on his current status as Braden continues to impress at RT to a point where you have to wonder if we kick Turner into LG at some point until Bakh comes back.

I would not pit myself in that consensus yet.  I hope he keeps on kickin A but it has mostly been against lower competition at this point, starting with 12 under center is a different animal. If he gets the nod over Patrick who has played a lot of quality snaps for us, I’ll be surprised. Of course, if they think the young guards can get the job done, LP is a small chip if a team wants to trade for him and we’ve shown to be willing to deal. I still think Royce has to wait his turn but we shall soon see. 

11 hours ago, Refugee said:

I would not pit myself in that consensus yet.  I hope he keeps on kickin A but it has mostly been against lower competition at this point, starting with 12 under center is a different animal. If he gets the nod over Patrick who has played a lot of quality snaps for us, I’ll be surprised. Of course, if they think the young guards can get the job done, LP is a small chip if a team wants to trade for him and we’ve shown to be willing to deal. I still think Royce has to wait his turn but we shall soon see. 

I thought a player got his turn when they proved they were better than the guy in front of them, or the guy in front of them gets injured. I don't buy the 'wait his turn' stuff. If he's better than Patrick this preseason, then it's his turn.

He should keep his turn until he either proves he's not capable, that hasn't happened, or a guy behind him proves to be better. The latter appears to be what his happening to Patrick, Newman is better. 

Should Myer wait his turn since Hanson has been here longer? Sarcasm. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I thought a player got his turn when they proved they were better than the guy in front of them, or the guy in front of them gets injured. I don't buy the 'wait his turn' stuff. If he's better than Patrick this preseason, then it's his turn.

He should keep his turn until he either proves he's not capable, that hasn't happened, or a guy behind him proves to be better. The latter appears to be what his happening to Patrick, Newman is better. 

Should Myer wait his turn since Hanson has been here longer? Sarcasm. 

Not at all, if he’s better, he plays.  Patrick has shown he can play in starting  reps over the years with the full complement of the starting line and Royce has still to prove he can do that. Royce was also the guy stepping on his QB 2 series in a row. He’ll learn from that but not the type of mistakes that will be allowed in week 1.  He’s been fighting and that’s what you want but the coaches know how he plays with the starting group and how much they trust him to run the full offense. Patrick has shown he can do it.  We’ll know what they see very soon.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

So are we looking at Newman to start at RG and Patrick at LG to start the season? Nobody's really grabbed that LG spot.  

It feels like Newman has the inside track on the RG position. I wouldnt say the same applies to Patrick quite yet though. Runyan (or Braden?) might give him a run for the starting spot. He's not excelled this PS....so he's living off his experience as a quality fill guy who can offer decent spot starts. Think: Lane Taylor.

17 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

We are putting a lot of value in Patrick's experience.  Experience is a good thing to have, but I have been just as impressed with Runyan.  I think he slots into that LG slot, with Patrick as the backup interior guy.

If Newman is to be the RG, starting Runyan or Braden at LG would mean starting the season with 3 interior linemen who have never started a game in the NFL. I think Patrick will be in there somewhere, at least until Jenkins can move back to LG. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

...I have been just as impressed with Runyan.  I think he slots into that LG slot, ...

Is the being impressed with Runyan based on his performance this camp, and in the exhibition games?  

My sense from his couple of spot appearances last year was that he wasn't bad... for a rookie.  But that he wasn't actually particularly good or anything?   Anti-awful, and for a late-round rookie that's a relief.  But I don't recall him drive-blocking guys around, or doing anything notably good.  Adequate, anti-awful, but less than average.  

I guess I'm wondering if I don't remember well, and should have been more impressed last year?  Or whether he's visibly improved and is better now?  

I'm kinda wondering whether in this guard competition, whether on the awful-to-awesome continuum, whether they might perhaps all be average-at-best and more likely variably sub-average?  

On 8/23/2021 at 2:41 PM, Joe said:

I think you look at the fact that Myers was high on our board, we let Linsley walk for whatever reason, and that Myers essentially was viewed as a swing IOL given his football IQ more than anything else.

It's rare (not impossible) that IOL get drafted highly that don't offer positional versatility.  And those that get drafted highly that are positions specific tend to end up out of the league sooner rather then later.  The Packers probably viewed him as a blue chip C prospect with the ability to play OG at a reasonably high level. 

10 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

If Newman is to be the RG, starting Runyan or Braden at LG would mean starting the season with 3 interior linemen who have never started a game in the NFL. I think Patrick will be in there somewhere, at least until Jenkins can move back to LG. 

Based on what we've seen so far, the top 3 IOL if Jenkins is playing Tackle is Patrick, Myers, Newman. Runyan would make the roster as the #4 IOL. 

That leaves OT to be Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Turner, and then probably 2 of 3 of Kelly/Nijman/Braden.

You would think Braden is likely the odd man out here, but Kelly and Nijman are pure OTs. Having somebody who can play Guard and Tackle in case you stack two injuries to the interior early on would be appealing. Having to move Jenkins back to Guard, Turner to LT, and Kelly to RT because Newman and Patrick both got hurt would SUCK. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Based on what we've seen so far, the top 3 IOL if Jenkins is playing Tackle is Patrick, Myers, Newman. Runyan would make the roster as the #4 IOL. 

That leaves OT to be Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Turner, and then probably 2 of 3 of Kelly/Nijman/Braden.

You would think Braden is likely the odd man out here, but Kelly and Nijman are pure OTs. Having somebody who can play Guard and Tackle in case you stack two injuries to the interior early on would be appealing. Having to move Jenkins back to Guard, Turner to LT, and Kelly to RT because Newman and Patrick both got hurt would SUCK. 

I rewatched the OL, and I thought Runyan was better--and he started over Patrick. Patrick was playing deep into the second half.

Braden is not a very good pass blocker at RT, so I don't know how viable he is there. However, he could win a spot on his interior play.

I thought Nijman was really solid this last game. I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team.

I'm not sure about Kelly. He was poor in the first game and then got injured. However, with Bakh injured he probably makes the team.

It looks like the starters will be Jenkins, Runyan, Myers, Newman, Turner in week 1--but that LG spot might still be up for grabs. Bakh's availability will probably decide who gets a nod between Braden and Kelly--mainly because I don't know that Braden can be a full-time OT.